PDA

View Full Version : advice on buying lights

soundtemptations
25-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi i am new to this forum and would like a bit of advice.

I have just started my own mobile disco and would like to know of any good lights that wont break the bank that gives good effects.

I have already purchased 2x spectrum led (american dj) & 2x dual gem led (american dj) & a starcloth with blue leds. Which i think looked very good at my first gig last weekend.

if you can help that would be great

Penfold42
25-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi i am new to this forum and would like a bit of advice.

As your new could you take ten to read this please -

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11711

Thank you. :)

andyw
25-01-2009, 11:13 AM
first of all welcome to the forum
now in answer to your question . STOP
take a step back and think carefully before buying anymore lights just about everyone of us makes the same mistake here and buy light after light going for quantity over quality when we first start out,lights dont make a function they add to it .
so lets start with the important thing and that is sound have you got a decent sound system with full backup,that is the most important thing if your sound goes down no matter how good your lights are or how many you have the party is over,
when you are happy with your sound then think about the sort lighting yopu want,try to see the being used in anger before buying,look at youtube for them if you cant .
my choice to go with what you have and won't break the bank would be some dynamos

soundtemptations
25-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi

Thanks for the advice i bought my equipment second hand but have had it all tested and checked and all ok.

I am in the middle of looking for a back up system but has i say im not made of money but dont really want to cut corners and let people down.

I have been looking at the skytec speakers and amps have already got a back up cd unit numark cdn22 and numark mixer. If someone could tell me if these speakers and amps are ok or if you could recommend some others that would be great.

Thanks

DeckstarDeluxe
25-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi

Thanks for the advice i bought my equipment second hand but have had it all tested and checked and all ok.

I am in the middle of looking for a back up system but has i say im not made of money but dont really want to cut corners and let people down.

I have been looking at the skytec speakers and amps have already got a back up cd unit numark cdn22 and numark mixer. If someone could tell me if these speakers and amps are ok or if you could recommend some others that would be great.

Thanks

What model skytec speakers? could you provide a link? In regards to the lights I would strongerly suggest that you invest in a good quality sound system and suitable amp instead, even if it means making repayments or getting a loan. I personally use some peavey ul15's 500rms and a peavey 1500w amp which set me back 650 second hand but it was from someone i know very well and trust. Class D's seem popular with other members of this forum.

andyw
25-01-2009, 06:19 PM
why not look for some powered speakers for back up that will cover you for loss of amp as well ,i recomend you sort that out before looking for more lights.

Cj_The_Dj
25-01-2009, 06:36 PM
as for lighting i would say. have one center light.

i have a few for sale make me and offer if you want, i can wait untill you have money.

the light are
1x martin adventure
http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18080
1x twin scanner (same as dyantwin)
http://www.georgesmusicstore.co.uk/product_823-21-94_Zoom-Scatscan-Club-Twin-light-effect.htm

soundtemptations
25-01-2009, 06:43 PM
these are the sktec speakers im looking at:

Skytec Professional Active DJ PA Speaker ? 800 Watts
Skytronic
Int-ID.: Sky-170441

Skytec Professional Active DJ PA Speaker – 800 Watts
Item ID: 549

The ideal performance speaker – loud, durable and simple to set up. Skytec Professional active loudspeakers are proof that professional quality needn’t cost the earth. Built for the rigors of constant use and a life on the road these speakers are guaranteed to deliver great performances again and again. Constructed from tough ABS plastic with built in carry handles and ‘top hat’ stand mounts these speakers are easy to transport and set up, just put them in position, plug in and turn on.

Guaranteed to get your audience on their feet Skytech Pro active speakers represent great value with pro build quality, pro sound at a great Hifi Tower price!

Highlights:

* 400 Watt RMS power (800W max)
* 15" Bass - 38 cm
* Active System
* 2 x microphone input
* Echo / Treble / Bass Control
* ABS Casing
* Top-hat connection for mounting on stands (underside of speaker) – you can find compatible stands in our online shop

Features:

* Sensitivity: 100 dB
* Frequency response: 45 Hz to 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
* 300 High frequency Mid-Low woofer
* Titanium dome horn driver
* PTC Protect Crossover
* Treble and Bass control
* Line-In input
* Overload protection crossover network
* 2 way technology
* Practical, stable handles
* Metal protection screen
* Very durable casing – optimal for outdoor and indoor use

Dimensions:

* 51 x 46 x 75cm
* Weight: 24 kg

andyw
25-01-2009, 07:26 PM
speakers guaranteed to get the audience on their feet ,i'll have a pair.unfortunately the only way they can guarantee that is by sounding so bad the audience will get up and walk out:Laugh:

soundtemptations
25-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I take it there not to good then.

This is the set up im using at the moment and at our 1st gig last week sounded good.

GEMINI CDX-802 PROFESSIONAL DUAL TWIN CD PLAYER

CITRONIC CDM 10:4 MK3 4 CHANNEL MIXER

PPX 900 AMP

CELESTION SPEAKERS

nigelwright7557
25-01-2009, 08:20 PM
speakers guaranteed to get the audience on their feet
:

Definitely a salesmans pitch !

soundtemptations
25-01-2009, 08:37 PM
So are the skytec speakers any good or what.:bang:

Penfold42
25-01-2009, 08:41 PM
So are the skytec speakers any good or what.:bang:

Erm....no. :)
But then again depends on what you want to do.

If you can look for another type of speaker.....you will be better off.

Dynamic Entertainment
25-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Sorry Tony, Id disagree there, they are not the greatest granted, but they are by no means the worst. I have used a pair for smaller gigs (just used them today for a childrens party) and they perform ok. Their main use is as DJ monitors for dance events and they have never overheated/cutout/generally died, even with 6 hours of constant dance music pumped through them at full volume.

They arent HK or Mackies but i wouldnt recommend getting finance or a loan as deckstar suggested just yet.

IMO Jonathan if your planning to fill a hall then go for something else, but if your gigs so far are smaller venues then they should be ok until you get some cash behind you off the job.

ppentertainments
25-01-2009, 08:54 PM
The new skytec range of speakers are very impressive. Not an active fan but know quite a few people who swear by the new skytec actives.

As a starter set I think they are fine if money is limited, as Steve says its not worth going into debt for - especially if just starting up.

andyw
25-01-2009, 09:03 PM
I take it there not to good then.

This is the set up im using at the moment and at our 1st gig last week sounded good.

GEMINI CDX-802 PROFESSIONAL DUAL TWIN CD PLAYER

CITRONIC CDM 10:4 MK3 4 CHANNEL MIXER

PPX 900 AMP

CELESTION SPEAKERS

sorry i was talking about all speakers not comenting on skytec. (thats why i put a smiley in)
i've never used them so can't comment best if you try and get a demo of anything you want to buy,but just starting off my advice is buy the best you can and only buy once.(it would be nice if someone were to tell me that sometimes though).

Penfold42
25-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Sorry Tony, Id disagree there, they are not the greatest granted, but they are by no means the worst. I have used a pair for smaller gigs (just used them today for a childrens party) and they perform ok.
I never said anything about being grand or the greatest.....:)

Erm....no. :)
But then again depends on what you want to do.

Maybe for that application fine.
I.E Kids parties.

nigelwright7557
25-01-2009, 09:19 PM
If you can try and get to a decent sized shop and actually see the lighst working. Even if it means travelling.
Nothing worse than receiving a light through post and being disappointed with it.
Advice on a certain light is fine but different people have different tastes.

Dynamic Entertainment
25-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I never said anything about being grand or the greatest.....:)

Maybe for that application fine.
I.E Kids parties.

It was just the erm..no, that got me. :)

I have used them for 40ths, 50ths, 60ths, kids parties, monitors at dance events (as previously said) Mainly just to be lasy because i cant be bothered dragging a larger system which wouldnt be used to its potential.

I wouldnt dream of using them for 18ths or 21st because they just cant cope with the volume that most want. They are useable for venues like leigons, social clubs etc.

soundtemptations
25-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all your comments and advice. I will go down to my local dj supplies in the week and have a listen to a few sets of speakers. My cousin says most local discos are usin ohm rw3 which he says sound good.

I do not and will never take a loan or finance i would rather start of small and if things work out will buy better equipment has i go along.

Once again thanks for your comments

nigelwright7557
26-01-2009, 12:04 AM
I do not and will never take a loan or finance i would rather start of small and if things work out will buy better equipment has i go along.

I prefer it that way too.

I bought CD's from Amazon, ebay and Zavvi slowly to build up a collection.
I also built my own amps and speakers over a period of time.
The rest I bought from reputable dealers new.

My original dual CD deck was a ghetto blaster type on sale at Maplin for about £40. I have a better one now but still use the Maplin one for backup.

My only advice would to be wary of second hand gear.
Personally I found some of it was good but also a proportion was worn out junk. At least with new gear you get a warranty.