PDA

View Full Version : Free Online Quote/Estimating System

welby
01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi,

does anyone know of an opensource Online Quote/Estimating Script written in either PHP or in flash?

Apart from the usual commecial ones, I am having difficulty finding any.

Thanks

Vectis
01-02-2009, 07:18 PM
I did the same trawl about 18 months ago and tried a few but settled on easyestimates. PHP based, it's not the easiest to get your head round, but once you get there it's pretty powerful.

Well worth the $40.

http://www.sizzlingwebdesign.com/easyest/index.php

Example of my integration

http://www.vectisvibe.com/easyestimates/Qtopplat.php

Probably using about 10% of it's capabilities, it works well for me.

Jiggles
01-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm still trying to get my head around it! I also think i lost the download for it as well. :( What a waste of $40 :(:(

Danno13
01-02-2009, 07:21 PM
That one also relies on javascript, which some browsers or over amibitious firewalls will disable.

I know of a fantastic entirley PHP based one which I happen to have written myself ( http://www.perfectweddingdisco.co.uk/quote.php - feel free to play, as i'll know it's you as it also logs where the enquirer is refered from ), but it wouldn't be free :D

Tom
01-02-2009, 07:31 PM
I was doing something like this also for my new website.

I think I need to have a chat with my brother to get one designed up.

I think it's a good idea to give the client a base figure of how much a dj's services are going to cost. I tend to get a lot of emails instead of phone calls, so I think If I can get something like this online then it saves the client having to phone me. But having said that, any fully completed form I get I would phone the number on the form to check everything was legit and also check everything was correct. :)

Vectis
01-02-2009, 07:45 PM
That one also relies on javascript, which some browsers or over amibitious firewalls will disable.

True. But my weblogs show under 1% of my visitors have js disabled and I've looked back over a year, so I can cope with that.

Callum - if you lost the code, stick an entry on their forum - they're very helpful. And if you want me to take a look at setting up an example for you, then give me access and sketch out what fields/settings/values you want and I'll have a crack for you.

Jiggles
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Callum - if you lost the code, stick an entry on their forum - they're very helpful. And if you want me to take a look at setting up an example for you, then give me access and sketch out what fields/settings/values you want and I'll have a crack for you.

I think its installed somewhere ill have a dig and get back to you. Thanks for the help!

Danno13
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
True. But my weblogs show under 1% of my visitors have js disabled and I've looked back over a year, so I can cope with that.

Yebbut.. mine's still better :D

Jiggles
01-02-2009, 07:58 PM
:handbag:

Danno13
01-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Someone's playing already.. :d

Vectis
01-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Yebbut.. mine's still better :D

S'aright.

Except in Safari as the 'Next' button on page 1 is pushed outside the main div and is invisible...

Danno13
01-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Bugger.. thanks for letting me know, can't have me not appealing to the Yuppie-apple-using type :D

welby
01-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi,

already looked at your system vectisvibe lol Looks like a lot of hand coding is required or is that not the case.

Dano13 - nice use of forms etc.

But Im blowed if I can find a freebie, just might have to follow Vectis on this one - shame about the exchange rate at the moment!

Thanks guys.

Vectis
01-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Very limited hand coding - once you've set up the form how you want it, there's 4 lines of PHP to embed in an HTML page, job done.

You set up the quotes using a menu-driven system. There are examples provided, although it WILL take you probably half a day hard slog to get your head round how it works.

I just did a quick example quote for Callum... waiting for him to put it online

welby
01-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Very limited hand coding - once you've set up the form how you want it, there's 4 lines of PHP to embed in an HTML page, job done.

Seems pretty straight forward to setup. I had thought about performing some simple calculations in forms and posting the result, but your software seems to add a lot more functionality...email etc..

I will have a better look in the morning - need some zzzs after working all weekend...er I'm not complaining, but two nights out till 2:30am take's its toll....lol

Thanks

Jiggles
01-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Mines is in the process of being made :D

http://www.cbentertainments.co.uk/quote/cbenter.php

BTW Vectis LOL at the sample! :D:D

Vectis
01-02-2009, 10:11 PM
BTW Vectis LOL at the sample! :D:D

Lookin' good Cal... don't forget the php stuff inside the wrapper will take your standard styles (<p><a><h1><h2> etc.) so if these are defined then they'll be used. Makes the whole thing blend in nicely with the page.

It's so much easier with a decent template to work from...

Jiggles
01-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeh im going to try something to see if its going to work to merge it into my site. :D

So far!
http://www.cbentertainments.co.uk/quote/prices.php

discomobiledj
02-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Yeh im going to try something to see if its going to work to merge it into my site. :D

So far!

Blimey, £20 for a smoke machine!!!! Include it you cheapskate!

Jiggles
02-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Trying to get people not to use it. It's such a pest to set up and take down. If they want it that bad they can pay for it :D also I'm a Scotsman :D

discomobiledj
02-02-2009, 07:37 AM
also I'm a Scotsman :D

True....

ppentertainments
02-02-2009, 09:23 AM

So far!
Looks really good and simple Callum.

I have refraind from putting prices or online calculator on my site as I feel it will put a lot of people off booking. I have learned by talking and communicating with people it is often possible to sell your services and therefore often converting a 'we don't want to pay that much' enquiry into a booking.

Also they maybe factors which you can't take in to account using an online quote generator. ie corporate functions, setup difficulties etc.

Each to their own though.

Vectis
02-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Looks really good and simple Callum.

I have refraind from putting prices or online calculator on my site as I feel it will put a lot of people off booking. I have learned by talking and communicating with people it is often possible to sell your services and therefore often converting a 'we don't want to pay that much' enquiry into a booking.

Also they maybe factors which you can't take in to account using an online quote generator. ie corporate functions, setup difficulties etc.

Each to their own though.

I went through the same thought processes, and after trying the quote generator on my site for a little while and speaking to customers about their experiences, I found that the vast majority that had tried it had only good things to say about it - they "knew where they stood" before they then went on to make contact. "Transparency" was a commonly-used word when I asked for feedback, and folks like that.

So long as you try to cover most common scenarios without overcomplicating the tool, and make sure you're clear about the fact that it is an estimate only.

The other big plus I noticed once it went up on the site? The number of tyre-kicking phone calls dropped off significantly.

So on balance I don't think publishing prices and having the quote tool has diminished business by removing the opportunity to do an Arthur Daley on them (meant in the nicest possible way ;) ); in fact I think my business has improved as a result because folks already know the starting point before they email or call, which makes the upselling of additional services much easier because we're not starting at zero.

ppentertainments
02-02-2009, 10:21 AM
The other big plus I noticed once it went up on the site? The number of tyre-kicking phone calls dropped off significantly.

I agree with you Vectis and it does seem to work with a lot of people. However, personally, I have managed to convert some who have started off wanting 60 quid sid, explained what I offer etc, and turned the enquiry into a booking.

I done a wedding fayre yesterday and had my full setup as requested by the venue. It was suprising the amount of people I spoke to who were impressed with the look and comments included 'I thought most dj's just setup on a table and have a stand with lights next to them'. A lot of people I get enquiries from expect the 'table and stand' dj and think this is what is normally provided. By talking to them i can explain the difference and try to make them appreciate why I charge more. Sometimes it work sometimes it doesn't.

A online quotation system is something I have thought about and knowing me will probably end up with one someday :D :D

welby
07-02-2009, 05:45 PM
I did the same trawl about 18 months ago and tried a few but settled on easyestimates. PHP based, it's not the easiest to get your head round, but once you get there it's pretty powerful.

Well worth the $40.

http://www.sizzlingwebdesign.com/easyest/index.php

Example of my integration

http://www.vectisvibe.com/easyestimates/Qtopplat.php

Probably using about 10% of it's capabilities, it works well for me.

Ok bit the bullet and purchased it. Download ok and now installed. Now here comes the hard bit! lol...

I'll let you know how I get on.

EDIT:

Well after playing with the software I can now understand how you put yours together - well done.

It's a shame you can't associate a price with the calendar function as this would make the end-user experience a tad more slicker.

If you don't have any objections, I would prefer to follow your style, but with options relevant to myself. I love the idea of charging according to the time of year.

The use of sliding scales for start and end times makes sense as all you have to do is change your base rate according to the current market rate.

Just one question: Did you then take the code and put it into a html editor and modify the look and feel or did you do it all in the backend?

Thanks again.

nigelwright7557
07-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Someone's playing already.. :d

I usually quote a standard basic price then add 50p a mile.

Saves getting involved with a quoting system.

welby
08-02-2009, 04:26 PM
I'll let you know how I get on.

Working my way through it....lol