PDA

View Full Version : Updates to the website

Dynamic Entertainment
04-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi All

Finally got some pics up on the website. Not hundreds but a couple. Please have a look below, click on the options down the right for pics and tell me what you think.

http://www.dynamic-discos.co.uk/packages/

Cheers

Steve

Tom
04-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Pictures look very good. :approve:

djsteve10
04-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Pictures look alot better!

Dynamic Entertainment
04-02-2009, 10:04 PM
cheers :)

nigelwright7557
04-02-2009, 10:07 PM
The question you have to ask is would a customer know what RMS is ?

They rely on you tell them what sound system they require for a given size of venue or number of dancers.

Dynamic Entertainment
04-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Nigel, if you read past the blue boxes, i.e. click on the "More" link it tells you that the system is suitable for "smaller/medium/larger venues" and "xx number of guests". As ive said plenty of times, its a guide only! Ive never had a problem with it and usually people know how big their venue is and how many guests are coming. The rest is thrashed out during the telephone/email conversation. For example, ive a 18th coming up. Theres only going to be 30-40 guests, very little space in the venue, but they like their music loud and bassy (DnB) . They are getting the larger sound system with the smaller lighting.

Hence the following text, if you read it properly:

"These packages can also be used as a guide only, and we can tailor any of them to suit your specific requirements. For example, you may only want a smaller sound system, but would like the larger lighting package (or vice versa). This is not a problem, we are there to provide a service and our aim is to provide you with exactly what your require."

PS, alot of folk will have an idea on Watts, i.e car stereos/home entertainments etc. Usually thats given in RMS, from my experience anyway. Unless its a boy racer.

Vectis
04-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Nige has a point Steve (although it pains me to say it... :p )

I'd find an analogy or do away with it altogether and just reference by musical style or venue size/guest count.

Site's looking good - fresh and simple. The menu at the top is a bit confusing though... too little differentiation between hyperlinks and plain text. Not helped by the fact that you get the link pointer when hovering over the words. I know what you're trying to achieve from a function PoV but I was trying my damnedest to click through to 'All Occasions', 'Whats What' etc. :D

Dynamic Entertainment
04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi Martin

What browser are you viewing in, as IE (the bane of my life) allowes you to click on either FAQ or Whats What as one link. the site was tested in IE, Firefox, safari, Chrome and Opera.

The only reason that it lists RMS is because i got alot of enquiries through asking what size wattage each system was. Alot as in every 2-3 enquiry. Thats taled off a bit now as people now generally know what they want when the contact me. Im not sure if its just difference of people enquiring or the fact that it lists it, but recently when folk phone and say there interested in the Silver option (for example) and i go through the details such as numbers/size etc with them, silver works out as the best option.

Vectis
04-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi Martin

What browser are you viewing in, as IE (the bane of my life) allowes you to click on either FAQ or Whats What as one link. the site was tested in IE, Firefox, safari, Chrome and Opera.

The only reason that it lists RMS is because i got alot of enquiries through asking what size wattage each system was. Alot as in every 2-3 enquiry. Thats taled off a bit now as people now generally know what they want when the contact me. Im not sure if its just difference of people enquiring or the fact that it lists it, but recently when folk phone and say there interested in the Silver option (for example) and i go through the details such as numbers/size etc with them, silver works out as the best option.

Steve

Sorry, didn't make myself clear (obviously :bang: ). FAQ and What's What appear as one link (as do the others) BUT from a user perspective it took me a while to suss that one out. When I hover over What's What the text stays white but the FAQs text changes colour. This is perfectly acceptable within your design - but it confused me a little and I'm a pretty savvy web user!!

@RMS: sounds like your customers tend to be more educated than mine. If you genuinely get enquirers looking for that level of detail, and they are in your target demographic, then RMS is good :) It's just in my experience this might, at first glace, confuse or even 'scare' people a little. If you have a bride-to-be poking around your site then she just wants to know that your system is modern, reliable, looks good and sounds great in her venue with her number of and types of guest.

Dynamic Entertainment
04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Good point about the bride. I did seem to get alot of audio freeks through at one point. I even had one groom come and isnist of giving me a hand to set upu the sound system at one venue because he say my 31 band eq (witch i wasnt going to use) and got an instant one (if you know what i mean ;) )

I think ill keep the RMS for the slightly more detailed description and have more narative in the blue boxes.

I see what you mean about the links. If the whats what changed colour aswell then it would be alot clearer. Its just obvious to me because ive had it like that from the word go. :) Ill have a look into doing something different. Cheers. :)

nigelwright7557
04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi Martin

What browser are you viewing in, as IE (the bane of my life)

IE uses containers and some of the others dont.
This means you can end up with white text on white background if your not careful ! :bang:

I no longer use containers to get around this problem.

I usually test using IE and Safari.

Jiggles
04-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Don't see what the problem is Martin, Works fine here! I click on the white text and its fine.

Dynamic Entertainment
04-02-2009, 10:51 PM
IE uses containers and some of the others dont.
This means you can end up with white text on white background if your not careful ! :bang:

I no longer use containers to get around this problem.

I usually test using IE and Safari.

Nigel, please post something useful. Im well aware of the pitfalls/ins and outs of IE. Whilst i welcome your post on the RMS (it did get me thinking), this is pointless.

Callum, what martin was looking at is at first glance it looks likle there is 12 links on the top, 6 on each line and when you go to the bottom "link" its a bit strange for the top "link" to cange colour. If it all changed colour then you would know its the same link. Or if the lower text was smaller it would indicate better that the lower text was narrative. I think, its that right Martin? :)

Jiggles
04-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I think if each area had its own box like a button to define each one you could leave it as it is.

Dynamic Entertainment
04-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I think if each area had its own box like a button to define each one you could leave it as it is.

Good idea. Ill owe you one of these :beer1: In time obviously, cant condone underage drinking.......Ill hide it behind the bus shelter down the road :D :D

Jiggles
04-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Good idea. Ill owe you one of these :beer1: In time obviously, cant condone underage drinking.......Ill hide it behind the bus shelter down the road :D :D

I accept paypal, cheques and cash :D :p

Marc J
05-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Looks good but there's a problem with Javascript somewhere.

Your JQuery / Lightbox also seems a little faulty, when you scroll down (if the image is too big for example) there is white space at the bottom (IE & FF).
This might be due to the earlier error, or perhaps try a different doctype...

rob1963
05-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Pictures look very good. :approve:

Agreed.

Excellent job!

:thumbsup:

The question you have to ask is would a customer know what RMS is ?

They rely on you tell them what sound system they require for a given size of venue or number of dancers.

Very good point.

I bet the majority of members here don't even know what the letters RMS stand for!

Dynamic Entertainment
05-02-2009, 02:41 PM
I bet the majority of members here don't even know what the letters RMS stand for!

Root Mean Square.....or if its big speakers Really Mean Speakers :D :D :D :D

Gonna rethink that section and make the initial reading more "average client" friendly in a couple of weeks when my new speakers turn up and i make ammendments.

Cheers for the comment rob:)

ppentertainments
05-02-2009, 04:18 PM

Thats easy - Rob's Music Sucks :D :D

Jiggles
05-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I thought it was Robs Musical Socks oh well :D

rob1963
05-02-2009, 05:22 PM

Thats easy - Rob's Music Sucks :D :D

:jawdrop:

Dynamic Entertainment
05-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Looks good but there's a problem with Javascript somewhere.

Your JQuery / Lightbox also seems a little faulty, when you scroll down (if the image is too big for example) there is white space at the bottom (IE & FF).
This might be due to the earlier error, or perhaps try a different doctype...

Thats way over my head Marc. I cant find the problem when i look, but ill pass it over to my web bloke. Thanks :beer1: