PDA

View Full Version : What are These like

Cj_The_Dj
12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
hi guys,

I have have a pair of these
http://www.precision-devices.com/showdetails.asp?id=48

I am using the in peavey 115 bass cabs. With a logic active crossover.

And hopefully will be using them with the t.amp 2400 when it come back.

i have not had chance to try them propley.

So I was wondering what sort of size venue the will fill?

as i dont know anything about spl ect.

Tom
12-02-2009, 12:31 PM
The peavey cab was made for the original driver. Fitting a different driver will change the whole sound. It may play higher it may play lower but then you need to change things like port lenghs.

If it was me, I would get cab designed for that driver. It will sound a lot better.

Daryll
12-02-2009, 04:23 PM
The peavey cab was made for the original driver. Fitting a different driver will change the whole sound. It may play higher it may play lower but then you need to change things like port lenghs.

If it was me, I would get cab designed for that driver. It will sound a lot better.

100% agree with tom , not wanting to put a down side ,but most if not all cab are built around a speaker , have a look at http://www.speakerplans.com/
I`mw sure some of their cabs use PD drivers.

Daryll

501damian501
12-02-2009, 04:48 PM
cj why not get some peavey drivers and put them back in, alot of the plans on speakerplans.com have a small list to the side of what drivers are suitable for the cab.

Cj_The_Dj
12-02-2009, 07:18 PM
i have tried them on my amp at the min and they sound nice with good bass (not loud beacuse of the amp) I was more wondering what size venue the will handle

Tom
12-02-2009, 07:36 PM
i have tried them on my amp at the min and they sound nice with good bass (not loud beacuse of the amp) I was more wondering what size venue the will handle

No one can tell you that until you get a spl reading from the cab.

As you have fitted different drivers this affects everything from how deep the cab can go to the final output.

You could of had 125db spl for example (dont know the stats for the cab) with the original drivers. Fitting the new drivers could reduce the spl by x amount so it's hard to say how many people those subs can handle.

By the way, those subs you have got are for hornloaded cab designs. It does say for compact cab designs, but let me explain.

In very basic way, the rear of the sub in a hornloaded cab is in a sealed enclosure so no air can leave. The front of the driver is where you get the sound from. The sound then travels through the horn, which makes the sound louder ect. These kind of drivers need to be very strong to handle the pressure.

Fitting a horn style driver to a reflex cab, which is what you have, will not give the same output as if you were using a speaker that was designed for reflex cabs.

If anything, I would of gone for either the PD1550 or the PD154.

Hope this helps. :)

Cj_The_Dj
12-02-2009, 07:53 PM
i will check latter beacuse it could be the pd1550, i got them second hand like they are. and it was a 600w rms 8ohms so i thought it was the 1st one but i will double check. :)

nigelwright7557
12-02-2009, 08:14 PM
You need to look up the pdf for the driver.
There is a minimum size for a cabinet for most drivers.

I use WINISD software for designing my cabinets.
It gives min size of cab plus size and lengths of ports.