PDA

View Full Version : Karoke Advice Please

Mayhem 1
13-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Gentlemen:

I have been asked many times to provide Karaoke at a Children's Party up to now I have turned these enquiries away until now!!!

I have decided to bite the bullet and invest in a karaoke set up.

I am looking for advice on requirements for a basic set up (what would I need??)

Please remember chaps this is not going to be a major thing I am adding, just the basic kit required to do a karaoke spot or two.

Many thanks guys,

DiscoPromotions
13-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Not to sound negative Karoake and Children.... Sounds like recepie for disaster or am I thinking of children I know who are wearing hoodies and don't give a care who you are.

ppentertainments
13-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Not to sound negative Karoake and Children.... Sounds like recepie for disaster or am I thinking of children I know who are wearing hoodies and don't give a care who you are.

Quite the opposite in my experience. Even kids as young as 4 or 5 enjoy singing (???) into the microphone and you find the whole party takes an interest. When doing early teens gigs (13yr old for example) I always reccomend karaoke. At that age they are a bit old for games but are often too embarassed to be seen dancing. The karaoke helps them relax and they don't mind making a fool of themselves.

Garry to answer your question, if it is a very basic setup have you considered something like this to get you started :

http://www.emkaraoke.co.uk/newsite/index.html?target=dept_200.html&lang=en-gb

I use a similar KAM machine which I carry in my console. I also carry a small monitor and karaoke discs with me incase of an impromtu Karaoke (which has happened).

addoaddo
13-02-2009, 11:02 AM
One of the main problems with karaoke and Children is that they mainly want to sing to moden songs, Adults tend to go for the classics. To keep you collection of discs up to date you need to send a lot each month

Mayhem 1
13-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Many thanks thus far Gents :beer1:

Corabar Steve
13-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I did one kids party back when we were doing karaoke.

NEVER AGAIN!

Mayhem 1
13-02-2009, 11:49 AM
That bad Steve??

Maybe I should re-think?

Spirits High
13-02-2009, 11:52 AM
One of the main problems with karaoke and Children is that they mainly want to sing to moden songs, Adults tend to go for the classics. To keep you collection of discs up to date you need to send a lot each month

Got to agree with that. I did a karaoke wedding last night. The kids did indeed want modern chart stuff and the Adults classic tracks. So could get costly.

I don't do enough karaoke nights to warrant buying the latest chart karaoke every month.

Are you currently using a laptop anywhere in your act?? If so you may find it easier to do one of the many kj softwares available.

Personally I use PCKJ which suffices for what I need.

501damian501
13-02-2009, 11:57 AM
mircophones of course
some kind of mixer
the bluelaser karaoke player if you plan to use discs
screens.

then music of course which can be expenisive, i wouldnt touch the american rubbish stuff on ebay, i only use sunflys.

DJ Frankie
13-02-2009, 11:59 AM
I too did karaoke for a kids/teen party about 5 years ago hence the reason I haven’t since.
It was a disaster, my large pile of freshly printed karaoke slips were screwed up, the karaoke books were damaged and the pencils missing. It was a recipe for disaster and you will need to be very strict to run it i.e. extra help involved.

If you do decide to do it Gary check out the EZ Karaoke disc, they have all the up to date tracks and they sound identical to the real thing.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Corabar Steve
13-02-2009, 12:10 PM
That bad Steve??

Maybe I should re-think?

Apart form the fact that they have even less of an idea on how to use the equipment than a drunk adult, they want everything that is in the charts at that moment. Unless you're prepared to update your Karaoke collection on a more or less weekly basis, I would say it's more hassle than it's worth.

Mayhem 1
13-02-2009, 01:34 PM
deffo food for thought there mate, thanks

DazzyD
17-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I too did karaoke for a kids/teen party about 5 years ago hence the reason I haven’t since.
It was a disaster, my large pile of freshly printed karaoke slips were screwed up, the karaoke books were damaged and the pencils missing. It was a recipe for disaster and you will need to be very strict to run it i.e. extra help involved.
...GOOD LUCK!!!!

I always try to use an assistant but even more when doing shows with kids involved. And I can agree with everything Frankie says here!

If you are going to do the kids show, make sure you keep the gains on the mics low. Kids have a bizarre habit of screeching in to the mic when you least expect it! ;)