PDA

View Full Version : Digital Music Filename Issues

DJMaxG
14-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I rip my audio files in WAV (Full) qualilty using Windows Media Player, latest version.

It extracts mostof the filenames via the internet. I then manually rename them using windows explorer, just to take out the track number, and add bits like the year.

When browsing for them (external hdd) In Atomix Virtual DJ, filenames are displayed, but the majority of the "Artist" names column is empty.

In other words, it is not displaying the artist information.

Shakermaker Promotions
14-02-2009, 10:34 AM
A lot of people will mention various programs that can help with this. Some people may direct you to topics on this subject that have been aired before elsewhere.

I like to do all of mine manually. Yes, it takes a while but at least I know exactly how I want the files to be named etc. For example: I have about 3 versions of 'Chasing Cars' by Snow Patrol. One is the album version so I leave that as Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars. The other two are remixes so to make it easier for myself I simply put Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars REMIX 1 and likewise with REMIX 2.

I also found last night when I was DJing that someone asked for 'Dreamer' by Living Joy. I couldn't remember who did it at first because they put down a totally different bandname. I searched for 'Dreamer' and came up with the Supertramp track. Later on I remembered who did the one that had been requested so typed in Living Joy and there it was....BUT..there was a space before the D of 'Dreamer' and so by searching title, the Denon couldn't see it. That's rectified now but it's worth checking that it isn't the case with some of your stuff. I don't use Virtual stuff so I don't know the score there.

I think that if it is just you that is using the gear then tag the tracks how you want to make life easy for yourself.

Corabar Steve
14-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Don't use media player, use Audiograbber or similar

Simples http://profile.ak.facebook.com/object3/998/12/q55085907066_3775.jpg

ppentertainments
14-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Or mediamonkey is another popular, simple to use program.

Shaun
14-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Try Audiograbber. It's free and can be downloaded HERE (http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/download.html)

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I rip my audio files in WAV (Full) qualilty using Windows Media Player, latest version.

It extracts mostof the filenames via the internet. I then manually rename them using windows explorer, just to take out the track number, and add bits like the year.

When browsing for them (external hdd) In Atomix Virtual DJ, filenames are displayed, but the majority of the "Artist" names column is empty.

In other words, it is not displaying the artist information.

I'm sure that I read if you are ripping to wav, then you have to put this information in manually so that the software reads the tags.

Excalibur
14-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Or mediamonkey is another popular, simple to use program.

Gets my vote every time. ;)

Corabar Steve
14-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm sure that I read if you are ripping to wav, then you have to put this information in manually so that the software reads the tags.
Not sure that is the case with Audiograbber

Try Audiograbber. It's free and can be downloaded HERE (http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/download.html)
Oh wow! Deja vu!

nigelwright7557
14-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I have written my own DJ software for the PC.

The song title is used as the filename.
The artist name is embedded in the file itself.

When Windows explorer or media player display the artist it has to read part of the file as well as the filename.

Corabar Steve
14-02-2009, 11:38 PM
I have written my own DJ software for the PC.

Why am I not surprised?

nigelwright7557
14-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Why am I not surprised?

Its at a very early stage, not sure how far I will take it.

A listbox for the source directory for tracks.
A listbox for the tracks to be played.
A few buttons to play, pause and eject.
An elpased time indicator.

Corabar Steve
15-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Keep at it. Use the forum as a sounding board for views as to what it should / shouldn't do / what people would want from it.

You never know, you might be on to a winner.

DeckstarDeluxe
15-02-2009, 12:27 AM
shame he didnt do the same with his speakers hey :P

nigelwright7557
15-02-2009, 12:42 AM
shame he didnt do the same with his speakers hey :P

My speakers sound great, if they didnt I would have sold them and bought from a vendor instead.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Not sure that is the case with Audiograbber

I am. I have just ripped a CD to wav and as I said, it doesn't put all the tags in. If you click on properties, there are no ID3 tags to fill in.

You will get the name of the artist and song on VDJ but this could differ depending on what software you have.

Excalibur
15-02-2009, 11:50 AM
I am. I have just ripped a CD to wav and as I said, it doesn't put all the tags in. If you click on properties, there are no ID3 tags to fill in.

You will get the name of the artist and song on VDJ but this could differ depending on what software you have.

I've just done it in MM, and as far as I can see, all the ID3 tags are present and correct. :D :D :D Bear in mind I'm a fully accredited Numpty, so I'm prepared to be corrected. I'm just off to stick the stick in a Cortex to check. ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2009, 11:52 AM
I've just done it in MM, and as far as I can see, all the ID3 tags are present and correct. :D :D :D Bear in mind I'm a fully accredited Numpty, so I'm prepared to be corrected. I'm just off to stick the stick in a Cortex to check. ;)

You don't use software though do you?

Excalibur
15-02-2009, 12:06 PM
You don't use software though do you?

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to? :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to? :confused:

A dedicated DJ software prgramme as in PCDJ, OTS or VDJ.

Excalibur
15-02-2009, 01:03 PM
A dedicated DJ software prgramme as in PCDJ, OTS or VDJ.

Can I have that in English please? :confused:

Actually, I realised what you meant just after I'd said I didn't. Excuse my ignorance, but if the tags are filled when I check in MM, they'll be filled in those other acronyms, won't they? :confused: :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Can I have that in English please? :confused:

Actually, I realised what you meant just after I'd said I didn't. Excuse my ignorance, but if the tags are filled when I check in MM, they'll be filled in those other acronyms, won't they? :confused: :confused:

No, not all software shows the tags if you rip to wav. That is what I was saying!

Excalibur
15-02-2009, 01:50 PM
No, not all software shows the tags if you rip to wav. That is what I was saying!

Ah. ;) Since I don't have any of the software referred to, I don't know then.
I still would have thought that if a WAV track was tagged when it was created, then dedicated software should see them. :confused: :confused: Justin uses VDJ, and also has MM. He would be able to test this theory.

DJMaxG
15-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Some Great answers!

I'm not using Audiograbber, had many problems with it before.

I totally agree with Nigel Wright.
But we need more solutions :)

Excalibur
15-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Some Great answers!

I'm not using Audiograbber, had many problems with it before.

I totally agree with Nigel Wright.
But we need more solutions :)

That's it, I'm off to Specsavers. ;) :D :D I just thought I read someone agreeing with Nigel! :eek: :eek:

DJMaxG
16-02-2009, 05:02 PM
That's it, I'm off to Specsavers. ;) :D :D I just thought I read someone agreeing with Nigel! :eek: :eek:

Just the bit about the 'Artist' information being Embedded.

nigelwright7557
16-02-2009, 08:31 PM

Well that wasnt supposed to happen ! :D :D