PDA

View Full Version : Enquiry Form Spamming???

DJ Frankie
15-02-2009, 10:08 AM
HI Folks

I have an enquiry form on my website and only recently I have been hit with tons of spamming enquiries.

I am looking at adding a captcha code to my website which makes the users type random generated letters to prove they are human users and not spy bots etc but dont want to put the users of from doing sending out genuine enquiries.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to combat this? and what do you all use to fight the spam enquries? :beer1:

Corabar Steve
15-02-2009, 10:10 AM
It happens from time to time. We're getting a spate of them at the moment. Just hit delete.

Not sure I'd bother with a captcha though, I hate the bloody things & I know that they're a necessary evil, but they annoy me & many others.

djsteve10
15-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Happens to me every now and again, I usually get a blank enquiry form sent to me and then followed by a enquiry form just filled with random letters.

I just delete them however it is annoying.

Marc J
15-02-2009, 11:55 AM
There are methods you can use to reduce the spam you receive through contact forms, for example: -

1. Check the referring URL (i.e. that the form was actually submitted from your form - sounds daft but bots can simply spam your form processor script without actually submitting your form).
2. Check that the email address is valid or in the correct format.
3. CAPTCHAs (either visual or a simple question).
4. Sanitise data submitted (i.e. check for links etc).
5. Only allow 1 submission per IP address.
etc. etc...

But you have to weigh up the pros and cons of each. Each additional method you employ increases the risk of a genuine submission being blocked, for example the colour blind or visually empaired may struggle with a visual CAPTCHA, or discarding any submissions containing links may block someone saying "I'm having my wedding at www.thevenuewebsite.co.uk, can you provide the entertainment?". Or only allowing 1 submission per IP address would stop someone quickly using the form again to say "forgot to say....blah blah" etc. etc...

Vectis
15-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I came up with a great (I think!) compromise. Just use some kind of visual verification. My spam went from several dozen a day down to the occasional one or two (obviously completed by slave labour or automated software that tries all permutations). When the spam starts to creep up, I change the pictures and the 'right answer'.

Right now we're on "Spot Brucie" :D

http://www.vectisvibe.com/pages/enquiry.php

It's a great ice-breaker - so many people have commented on it (positively) :beer1:

Danno13
15-02-2009, 12:19 PM
I use a captcha code, I wrote the bulk of it myself, as well as the form processing, so I have it email me failed attempts and they just go straight to my spam folder (by adding the "***SPAM***" prefix to the email subject).

DeckstarDeluxe
15-02-2009, 01:27 PM
i hate those damm things! I personally would put up with it as then at least you get as many genuine enquiries.

Dynamic Entertainment
15-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Martin, that is quality :D Love it.

Vectis
15-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Martin, that is quality :D Love it.

I might have to change out Larry Grayson though... I've had a couple of emails complaining that they picked out Bruce, 5th one along, and got a reject message :p

Before Bruce I had Zippy from Rainbow with a selection of other famous puppets :D :D :D

rob1963
15-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I might have to change out Larry Grayson though... I've had a couple of emails complaining that they picked out Bruce, 5th one along, and got a reject message :p

Before Bruce I had Zippy from Rainbow with a selection of other famous puppets :D :D :D

Good game, good game!

:D