PDA

View Full Version : business internet directory

beachy blue
16-02-2009, 04:41 PM
has anybody had dealings with these?

basicaly they have non stop hounding my mrs on the phone with sales pitches
yesterday an agreement droped through the door which says she owes them £332.35p

she has not agreed to this and after a heated phone call they have told her she cant get out of it, she has asked to listen to the recoreded phone calls but there saying they havent got them

what would you advise?:bang:

Mark Wild
16-02-2009, 04:51 PM
yesterday an agreement droped through the door which says she owes them £332.35p

For what exactly?

Cheesey 1975
16-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I had the same problem

Ive also had a bill for £400 plus.... Never agreed to anything and definatly didnt sign up !!!

Im waiting further developments !!

Danno13
16-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Ask them to send you a copy of the contract you've "entered into" with them so you can forward it to your legal team. These kinds of companies pray on people being compliant and thinking they're in the wrong, but in reality you don't owe them anything. If you stand up to them they will back down. These kind of scum are no different to playground bullies...

Dynamic Entertainment
16-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Sounds a bit like a scam. At the same time be careful of people phoning and saying the "safety awareness books" for schools etc etc that you ordered are now ready to be paid for. They make out that they spoke to someone from your company previously who agreed to the books. Do not say yes (the actual word) at any point as i had one company actually send me a "recording" with me saying yes after everything. It was very badly done when i loaded the wavefrom, i printed it off and sent it back showing where they cut and paste and they left me alone.

This sounds like it could be a similar situation.

beachy blue
16-02-2009, 05:24 PM
For what exactly?

to advertise

beachy blue
16-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Ask them to send you a copy of the contract you've "entered into" with them so you can forward it to your legal team. These kinds of companies pray on people being compliant and thinking they're in the wrong, but in reality you don't owe them anything. If you stand up to them they will back down. These kind of scum are no different to playground bullies...

shes doing it now

its closed for the night

Mark Wild
16-02-2009, 05:33 PM
If you haven't entered into any kind of legally binding contract with them, there's nothing to worry about.

Dynamic Entertainment
16-02-2009, 05:42 PM
One of the letters i sent off to a publishing company hounding me, please feel free to ammend and/or use. It also had the once over by a solicitor so its fairly water tight.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am in receipt of a sample book entitled ‘drugs, Thugs and Internet Bugs’ and an invoice from you for the sum of £189 purporting to be in accordance with an agreement made by telephone in November last year entering into sponsorship with you.

I hereby deny all knowledge of any telephone call made by anyone at your company prior to the call I received from you last week.

Will you please forward to me the following:

1) Proof of contract
2) Proof of the advertisement
3) Proof of distribution

I have been in contact with my solicitors and if you are unable to provide proof of any one of these you should cease further demands for payments which may be considered harassment under the Administration of Justice Act, which is a criminal offence.

Further to this, under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulation 2000, you must give consumers (i.e. me) clear information including details of the goods or services offered, delivery arrangements and payment, the supplier’s details and the consumer’s cancellation right before they buy (known as prior information), you must also provide this in writing (which you have not fully), and I have a cooling off period of seven working days (I am writing to you within seven days of the date of your invoice (3-7-2008)).

I have also been in contact with Cumbria Trading Standards who have advised me to keep them appraised of the situation. I have also included, for your return, your publication.

Please also note, out of interest, that your letter/invoice failed to include my name, or the county in which I reside.

Yours sincerely

beachy blue
16-02-2009, 06:04 PM
my mrs says thanks for the advice shes still stressed though lol

discomobiledj
16-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I had this for some school safety booklet. They phoned me up demanding money so I told them in a polite manner that I never agreed to anything.

They quickly put the phone down. They didn't even have my address!

Marc J
16-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Just say nothing is ever ordered without a purchase order number, and if they'd be so kind as to provide that then you'll look into it. If they make one up just say it's not in the right format etc. etc...

scoopd
16-02-2009, 07:47 PM
It was a scam that most suppliers in our local area ended up paying around £300 for an internet listing.Then they hound you every year after that for the same money.
I think the worst thing you can do is enter into a dialogue with these people.

beachy blue
17-02-2009, 12:23 PM

they have now appolagised :)

Mark Wild
17-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Idiots, glad you sorted it.

DazzyD
17-02-2009, 02:04 PM
One of the letters i sent off to a publishing company hounding me, please feel free to ammend and/or use. It also had the once over by a solicitor so its fairly water tight.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am in receipt of a sample book entitled ‘drugs, Thugs and Internet Bugs’ and an invoice from you for the sum of £189 purporting to be in accordance with an agreement made by telephone in November last year entering into sponsorship with you.

I hereby deny all knowledge of any telephone call made by anyone at your company prior to the call I received from you last week.

Will you please forward to me the following:

1) Proof of contract
2) Proof of the advertisement
3) Proof of distribution

I have been in contact with my solicitors and if you are unable to provide proof of any one of these you should cease further demands for payments which may be considered harassment under the Administration of Justice Act, which is a criminal offence.

Further to this, under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulation 2000, you must give consumers (i.e. me) clear information including details of the goods or services offered, delivery arrangements and payment, the supplier’s details and the consumer’s cancellation right before they buy (known as prior information), you must also provide this in writing (which you have not fully), and I have a cooling off period of seven working days (I am writing to you within seven days of the date of your invoice (3-7-2008)).

I have also been in contact with Cumbria Trading Standards who have advised me to keep them appraised of the situation. I have also included, for your return, your publication.

Please also note, out of interest, that your letter/invoice failed to include my name, or the county in which I reside.

Yours sincerely

Steve

You said this was a publishing company. Who was it? I had almost an identical problem with an alleged sponsorship of a school publication. Like you, I was in touch with Trading Standards who told me there was little they could do but didn't expect this so called "Publisher" to pursue matters. They said my partner had agreed to it on the phone. I asked for a copy of the phone recording and they said "Ok. No bother". 8 months later and nothing! I actually sent the sample book back within the time limit (although they said they'd never received it) but I have proof of posting from it being sent special delivery. They even said I should send them the original proof of SD to which my reply was "No chance but I'll send a copy" which they said wasn't good enough. Big con! Had a couple of threating letters but nothing for the last 7 months or so! Hope that's the end of it!

Dynamic Entertainment
17-02-2009, 02:05 PM
It was Core Media Concepts, part of Carroll-Dillon Publishing. I sent them that letter, with ther book (signed for) and got a phone call of them saying that i had sent them "something" but the envelope was completely empty. :doh: I asked how they knew the "empty" envelope was from me then and got a fumbled non-decript answer and i hung up. I went from getting called daily, to not a thing after that, which was about 12 months ago.

Leigh - Glad you got it sorted pal :)

nigelwright7557
17-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I had a similar scam tried on me.

Someone rang up asking how i was going to pay for some advertisements !

I just pleaded ignorance and they backed down.

501damian501
17-02-2009, 09:35 PM
has anybody had dealings with these?

basicaly they have non stop hounding my mrs on the phone with sales pitches

she has not agreed to this and after a heated phone call they have told her she cant get out of it, she has asked to listen to the recoreded phone calls but there saying they havent got them

what would you advise?:bang:

vist lawyer, glad i have several

discomobiledj
17-02-2009, 09:41 PM
vist lawyer, glad i have several

Course you do Damian........