PDA

View Full Version : Blue Laser DVD 888u advice

neo866
18-02-2009, 11:19 PM
I make my own cdg files using Karaoke CD+G Creator (a neat little program I found) using my own mp3's and playing them on my PC but now I think we've grown out of this and am thinking of buying a Blue Laser DVD 888u.

The way I've set the software up it creates a cdg file and lowers the vocal of my mp3 then save it.
So I have a lot of cdg and mp3 Karaoke song in my collection.

What I need to know is, will I be able to play these on the 888u without burning them to disc as this will meen a lot of discs?
I've read about the usb connection on the 888u and wonder if I could play them that way?

Also would I be able to convert these files (mp3+cdg) to divx? I see it plays divx but I've not got the fiorst clue as to how you play Karaoke disc in divx.
Thanks

Danno13
18-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi, please can you read this topic - http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11711

I would seriously look into the legalities of what you're doing with those MP3 files, I'm sure you're not allowed to alter tracks in that way and then use them in public performance.

501damian501
18-02-2009, 11:41 PM
basicly divx is just a dvd disc with shed loads of mp3+g's on, the usb part of the machine only reads a maximum of 2500songs i think, but i know its not a great deal, i would say you need a produb to use divx discs as your format shifting.

http://www.powerkaraoke.com/src/prod-karaoke-dvd-burner.php

i would seriously look into the legalities first before you do this!!!

neo866
18-02-2009, 11:42 PM
This is only for my family to use, does this constitute as Public performance?
We sit round my pc at the moment and would like to buy something better so we can move to the living room.
I can use midi file if i'm doing wrong?

Danno13
18-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Sorry I assumed you were a DJ/KJ, seeing as this is a DJ forum. I doubt you'd have problems for personal use although your best bet would be to buy the proper karaoke discs, as these will definitley play.

501damian501
18-02-2009, 11:55 PM
This is only for my family to use, does this constitute as Public performance?
We sit round my pc at the moment and would like to buy something better so we can move to the living room.
I can use midi file if i'm doing wrong?

buy virtual dj. you will have endless fun with that.

neo866
19-02-2009, 12:04 AM
I'll just go away then shall i? sorry for troubling you 501damian501 i'm sure you've got much more important things to be doing.

Danno13
19-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Where did that come from? :confused:

Can you please refer to the post I linked to in my first reply to you.

Thanks.

501damian501
19-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I'll just go away then shall i? sorry for troubling you 501damian501 i'm sure you've got much more important things to be doing.

WTF you on about, you asked for help so am helping you, ive been doing professional karaoke for years, far more experianced with systems than you will ever most be, HOW DARE YOU!

Kernow
19-02-2009, 11:33 AM
OK
I use a Blue Laser 888U and it will play MP3 & CD+g. If you want it to play direct from a HDD or Memory Card/Stick it is perfectly possible to do so via the USB port. The secret is not to embed your files more than two directories deep. Divx is like a compressed form of VCD and allows around 500 karaoke tracks to be put on a single DVD. The 888u will also play these.
For home use you may get away with it but I would certainly check the MCPS rules before doing so. Produb is a copying licence to transfer format but does not allow the alteration of the original copyright material, i.e removing the vocals to make your own karaoke discs.

DazzyD
20-02-2009, 09:45 PM
WTF you on about, you asked for help so am helping you, ive been doing professional karaoke for years, far more experianced with systems than you will ever most be, HOW DARE YOU!

NEO - Don't leave! If you are in the industry or just have a leisurely interest in karaoke there are plenty of people on here that can help you!

Damien - Yes Neo asked for help. But he (or she!) said "We sit round my pc at the moment and would like to buy something better so we can move to the living room." which, to me, means he (or she!) is trying to move away from the PC - hence the mention of the Blue Laser.

So, suggesting he (or she!) uses VDJ is pretty pointless TBH. If you want people not to misunderstand your post then you could try reading theirs properly before posting.

Kernow - good reply! Like Neo, I've dabbled with making my own tracks using various software packages and audio visual utilities. I know that the BL player can play direct from an external USB (I use a small 40gb drive taken from a defunct laptop in an external USB drive caddy) and I have the tracks in the root directory so I have no problems. I've absolutely no knowledge of the DiVx format (other than it's very compact!) so I can't comment on that but I too am eager to learn! Even at my age!! :D :D :D

501damian501
21-02-2009, 10:29 AM
NEO - Don't leave! If you are in the industry or just have a leisurely interest in karaoke there are plenty of people on here that can help you!

Damien - Yes Neo asked for help. But he (or she!) said "We sit round my pc at the moment and would like to buy something better so we can move to the living room." which, to me, means he (or she!) is trying to move away from the PC - hence the mention of the Blue Laser.

So, suggesting he (or she!) uses VDJ is pretty pointless TBH. If you want people not to misunderstand your post then you could try reading theirs properly before posting.

Kernow - good reply! Like Neo, I've dabbled with making my own tracks using various software packages and audio visual utilities. I know that the BL player can play direct from an external USB (I use a small 40gb drive taken from a defunct laptop in an external USB drive caddy) and I have the tracks in the root directory so I have no problems. I've absolutely no knowledge of the DiVx format (other than it's very compact!) so I can't comment on that but I too am eager to learn! Even at my age!! :D :D :D

to be honest vdj would be better, than you can use the features it boasts of!

Kernow
21-02-2009, 12:26 PM
to be honest vdj would be better, than you can use the features it boasts of!

But they'll still need to be around the computer to use it !! :confused:

I honestly think that people asking for advice are better served by someone who either has the equipment, or, some experience of using it. ;)

501damian501
21-02-2009, 12:53 PM
But they'll still need to be around the computer to use it !! :confused:

I honestly think that people asking for advice are better served by someone who either has the equipment, or, some experience of using it. ;)

why around a computer, wire it up to a nice plasma or lcd screen on the wall, theirs more fun to it than sat behide a computer.

would you like to come check my equipment, take alook in my UNIT!

am only 20, looking after 3 children with my beauitful girlfriend ( on the rocks at the moment oh well..)

have a rig out most days, and a second rig getting booked up day by day, i,d say am doing better than most people twice my age! dont udge on people you dont know, you dont know me so dont judge me or my experience, CHEERS Damian John

Kernow
21-02-2009, 01:26 PM
why around a computer, wire it up to a nice plasma or lcd screen on the wall, theirs more fun to it than sat behide a computer.

would you like to come check my equipment, take alook in my UNIT!

am only 20, looking after 3 children with my beauitful girlfriend ( on the rocks at the moment oh well..)

have a rig out most days, and a second rig getting booked up day by day, i,d say am doing better than most people twice my age! dont udge on people you dont know, you dont know me so dont judge me or my experience, CHEERS Damian John

I don't intend to udge (:confused: ) on anyone. :), particularly when there is no evidence, one way or the other, to indicate how sucessful they may or may not be.

Thank you for your kind offer but I regret that your unit is just too far away, if I want to check out equipment I'll go to a local disco supplier or the nearest branch of Cash Converters. ;)

Sorry to hear about your domestic problems, but at the end of the day they are personal to you so I am not in any position to offer advice except to say it is for you and you alone to sort. :cool:
It won't help though if you rudely overreact to innocent remarks, as you have in this thread.

Whilst it is always good to offer comparable alternatives, the OP specifically asked about a particular piece of equipment and clearly explained his reasons for wanting it. What you have suggested in no way improves his current situation other than to add software & additional cables to his existing setup.

I do appreciate your vast experience of karaoke and recognise your families involvement with it, since before it was even invented !! ;) but unless you have a Blue Laser or something very similar it would be better not to get involved ?
All it does is cause confusion and frequently sidetrack the whole thing off-topic.

:)

Tony Scott
21-02-2009, 01:46 PM
buy virtual dj. you will have endless fun with that.

I think he(she) may have read Damian's post as:

'bye virtual dj, have fun with that you loser!'

.....which would explain the venom in the reply??

501damian501
21-02-2009, 01:53 PM
why mess with discs and searching dvds with 500tracks on for a single track when you can just use a searchable database, if you cant make the job better, make it easyer. and what the earth has my family got to do with this thread, you think this is my only line of work ?

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-02-2009, 06:27 PM
have a rig out most days, and a second rig getting booked up day by day, i,d say am doing better than most people twice my age! dont udge on people you dont know, you dont know me so dont judge me or my experience, CHEERS

As far as I'm aware, we have not seen any evidence of your gear or company or website or the fact that you are even involved in this industry. As far as I can see, the only experience you have is roadying for Tony a couple of times.

Put up or shut up Damian. I am getting seriously peeved with your BS.

DazzyD
21-02-2009, 09:25 PM
DAMIAN - FOR *@&#'S SAKE! THE GUY DOESN'T WANT TO USE A COMPUTER SO VDJ IS NOT A GOOD SUGGESTION!!!

He obviously doesn't have a PC in his living room so a karaoke database is worth diddly squat to him! He want's to use the BL machine that he can connect to the living room TV and involve the family. What is wrong with that? That's how I started all those moons ago!

And why make it out to be a personal attack on you and your situation? I'm 33, got a fantastic better half that makes me wonder why she'd be with a pug ugly sod like me, have three kids and one about 5 weeks away. That's got sod all to do with my karaoke knowledge and expertise. What has got to do with it is that I've been around karaoke in the UK since it hit these shores from Japan. LaserDiscs, Karaoke VHS, CDG and Karaoke DVDs - I've got them all! And MP3+G and .kar now. I think Kernow has similar experience along with many others on this forum. And I know Solitaire has been around Karaoke for a while 'cos I've read a lot of his posts on the subject.

Anyway, apologies to all reading my post. Damians experience of karaoke seems to centre around VDJ and his totally BS advice is starting to get me. A newbie asked a perfectly good question and it shouldn't have descended in to such an agressive thread. If this is the future of the Karaoke forum I think I'll give it a miss in future.

Rant over.

reloaded28
19-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Guys, quick question.
I bought a Blue Laser and am not sure how to put the Karaoke tracks on the usb stick.Tried bin format them mp3+g but no success.Am i missing a step.Thanks in advance for any help. D.

Kernow
20-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi Guys, quick question.
I bought a Blue Laser and am not sure how to put the Karaoke tracks on the usb stick.Tried bin format them mp3+g but no success.Am i missing a step.Thanks in advance for any help. D.

Hi reloaded
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what it is you're asking, could you give a little more detail ? :)

If you use a PC to transfer the tracks onto the memory stick, then the Blue Laser should play them.

Are you trying to rip on to the stick from the player ?...'cos it won't do that ;)

Larry B Entertainment
25-03-2009, 02:31 PM
What I need to know is, will I be able to play these on the 888u without burning them to disc as this will meen a lot of discs?
I've read about the usb connection on the 888u and wonder if I could play them that way?

I have a Kam machine simarler to yours that is supposed to navigate USB sticks and hard drives the same as CD's but never been able to get it to play CDG files from the usb. It plays the mp3 track but wont display the lyrics. Got so fed up with it, i gave it to the missus to use in the house.

You might do better just burning mass amounts of tracks to some dvd's instead. If you machine works anything like mine it wont be straight forward to play them from the USB socket.