PDA

View Full Version : Combined Power & Signal cable. Any Good?

Dynamic Entertainment
21-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Found this: http://www.terralec.co.uk/power_cable/power_and_signal_cable/18175_p.html

Anyone else use it. How easiy is it to work with. Is it flexible etc.

Im thinking for the uplighting par cans. One cable running with male & female IEC connectors, and DMX into and out of the lighting unit.

Tom
21-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I was thinking about using this type of cable for my active speakers. Much neater to use one cable.

THe only downside is getting it all connected for power and signal from the mixer side of things.

Not to sure about the par cans though. I would rather have seperate cables as there is the risk of people walking on the leads and damage them. Would be cheaper to replace one of the two cables instead of an all in one cable I would of thought.

DJ James Lake
22-02-2009, 01:39 PM
As much as its seems a good idea, in order to keep interference and hum to a minimum we are always told to run power and signal leads as far apart as possible so this seems like its asking for trouble.

Jiggles
22-02-2009, 01:55 PM
If its a bad idea then why was it made?

A1DL
22-02-2009, 03:07 PM
in order to keep interference and hum to a minimum we are always told to run power and signal leads as far apart as possible so this seems like its asking for trouble.
:agree:

It is always best practice to separate signal & data from mains.

When building amp/outboard racks, I always route patch panel feeds down one side and mains opposite to maximise separation, similarly on site ALWAYS keep amp rack feeds, looms & multis separate to 3-phase distro feeds.

Having said that, the cable linked to in the OP is clearly designed for very light use over short runs, and I would expect it to run a couple of powered boxes on sticks or a string of LED pars (correctly terminated) without any problem, since the draw in both cases is typically negligible.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Cheers everyone. I did consider using it for the speaker audio/power feed after Toms post, but I have heard that its not a good idea, regardles of how shielded they say it is. Think i may be onto a winner for par cans though :)

BeerFunk
22-02-2009, 05:28 PM
As much as its seems a good idea, in order to keep interference and hum to a minimum we are always told to run power and signal leads as far apart as possible so this seems like its asking for trouble.True, but it's all down to design - if the signal cable is sufficiently shielded, and does not run parallel to the power cable for any great length - then there isn't an issue.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-02-2009, 05:35 PM
:agree:

It is always best practice to separate signal & data from mains.

I always thought that, but have read elsewhere that the quality of the cables and suppression combats that these days.

I run mine together and have no problems at all.

PropellerHeadCase
22-02-2009, 05:54 PM
If its a bad idea then why was it made?

Because technically it's a bad idea, but not everyone in the market for that solution is technically-minded ;)

DJ James Lake
22-02-2009, 07:39 PM
True, but it's all down to design - if the signal cable is sufficiently shielded, and does not run parallel to the power cable for any great length - then there isn't an issue.

So it wouldnt be much use for connecting par cans for uplighting when you could be looking at over 100m then, as DMX is extremely sensitive with even the slightest interferance.

BeerFunk
22-02-2009, 07:54 PM
So it wouldnt be much use for connecting par cans for uplighting when you could be looking at over 100m then, as DMX is extremely sensitive with even the slightest interferance.Good point, I would be much more wary in that case, especially if you're forking out for runs of 100m+

However, when I meant that the signal and power currents can't run together at any great length, the assumption was made that this particular design has the signal and power cables twisted along it's length.