PDA

View Full Version : My New Website - Do your worst!

Danno13
01-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Ok, my main website has been long overdue an update as the original design was done about 2-3 years ago and since then I've started offering lots more services. which meant these were a bit hard to find on the website, often buried a few links deep.

So after a few weeks spent re-designing, the new site is now live at http://www.revolution-discos.co.uk

Main improvements I've made -

Complete CSS/layers based design, goodbye tables!
Direct links to everything from all pages and some handy "related links" sections for pages where they've scrolled past the main navigation.
Changes to mod-rewrite rules & directory structure for improved search engine placement.
Venues section now database driven - easier to update as I was getting very lazy beforehand, the "newest venues" part will also change whenever I add venues which is good for SEO.
Testimonials are also now database driven, allowing random testimonials to show on pages and I can also filter by event type etc. (not done anything with that at the moment though) also means I'll update them more often.
Added the beggining of a music database - only have just over 1200 tracks (taken from the list of everything I played in 2007) on at the moment, and will be adding a guest request system in the near furure.

So, let me know what you think and if there's anything that doesn't work/spelling mistakes etc.

I know alot of the photos are repeated at the moment, so I've still got work to do on those - but just wanted to get something that works together quickly, so just used the same three on alot of the pages.

nigelwright7557
01-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Looks very professional.

BeerFunk
01-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Looks very nice, if a bit plain. A jazzed up logo would add a lot I reckon.

I know alot of the photos are repeated at the moment, so I've still got work to do on those - but just wanted to get something that works together quickly, so just used the same three on alot of the pages.All links on the gallery pre-2008 are dead, or syntax errors.

Danno13
01-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Well spotted, it's due to the use of the single quote mark in the gallery names..

Shaun
01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Looks very nice, if a bit plain. A jazzed up logo would add a lot I reckon.

Hmmm, I dunno. I actually really like the simplicity of his logo.

----------------

Not too sure what the problem is with the navigation further down.

DJWilson
01-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Hmmm, I dunno. I actually really like the simplicity of his logo.

----------------

Not too sure what the problem is with the navigation further down.

My menu is ok

Danno13
01-03-2009, 07:33 PM
What broswer & resolution are you viewing in Shaun? I couldn't recreate that fault in any of the common browsers, but I've put the font size down a notch which should hopefully fix it.

01-03-2009, 08:10 PM
i think it looks great.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-03-2009, 08:22 PM
A few of the tracks are in the wrong decades Dan.

Shaun
01-03-2009, 08:52 PM
What broswer & resolution are you viewing in Shaun? I couldn't recreate that fault in any of the common browsers, but I've put the font size down a notch which should hopefully fix it.

IE7 - 1280x1024.

Problem still persists for me. Not quite as bad, but still there nontheless.

Similar problems on the bottom of the 'About Us' & H & S pages.

Mark Wild
01-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Very clean, simple and easy to navigate. Very nice indeed.

yourdj
01-03-2009, 09:20 PM
lovely, timeless, relaxed. very nice.

Danno13
01-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Cheers guys.

Darren - Thanks, I spotted a couple of these as well, mainly due to excel auto-correcting things I was typing in!! Will get them fixed, House of Pain I think was one.. but will have another look through...

Shaun - I have the same resolution, and have tried in IE7 but don't get the same problem. Are you using a Windows PC?

The issue with the height of the main section not being long enough for the content, I've now fixed, thanks for pointing it out :)

Shaun
01-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi Dan,

Yep, I'm running Win XP.

Danno13
01-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Try now.. I'm trying to atleast stop it overflowing onto the next line.. it might miss of the "plasmas" bit, but at least it won't mess up the rest of the menu :) I'm struggling to understand why I can't get the same problem though :(

Shaun
01-03-2009, 10:07 PM
That's better, but it drops the 'starcloth' to the next line. See attached image.

Danno13
01-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Starcloth is supposed to be on the next line, it's just losing the "plasmas" bit, as was my intention ;)

Anyone else having this same problem on IE7, Windows XP 1280 x 1024?

Marc J
02-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Looks fine to me :)

Nice site - On the Availability Checker, though, there seemed to be a delay in the drop-down options populating, not sure what was going on there?

Tom
02-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Website looks ok but imo, there are way to many pictures. To me it seems like you have posted pictures of every gig you have done, don't know if this is true or not???

I would of done a large selection of pictures, say....40, of the best you have. That way, it saves people having to go through loads and loads of pages worth or pictures.

:) :beer1:

Danno13
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I used to take photos at pretty much every gig I did, but as you'll see I didn't bother for most of 2008, although I'm sure I have more I can add at some point. It's actually quite handy having the gallery to use as a point of reference when people are booking a venue I've played at before. It's also good for the search engines having lots of galleries there all with words like Wedding, disco, dj etc. in the titles and descriptions :D

Babybob
03-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Dan...spotted a spelling mistake....sorry.

uplighting and LED fance floor hire services - the perfect way to transform your venue or marquee and create the perfect atmosphere at your event!

It says ..fance floor.

Danno13
03-03-2009, 07:10 PM
So it does.. well spotted, now changed :)