PDA

View Full Version : amp clipping

cosmicdiscos
12-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi
i run 2 x peavey pro-15 300w 4 ohm cabs from a Kam Kxr1000 amp (500w into 4 ohms per side).

sometimes, when its loud, the clip light lights up on the amp. My question is, what do i do when this happens. ie do i turn my amp up or down, my mixer down or what. i have the amps running at approx 60%.

Thanks a lot

nigelwright7557
12-03-2009, 08:37 PM
The amp is trying to amplify the signal to a level that is more than its power supply can handle so the clip LED comes on letting you know the output is now distorting.

Sounds like time to buy a bigger amp to match the speakers.
Or if you are seriously not loud enough time to go to a higher powered system completely.

cosmicdiscos
12-03-2009, 08:41 PM
thanks. could i turn the amp up and the mixer down?

nigelwright7557
12-03-2009, 08:43 PM
thanks. could i turn the amp up and the mixer down?

Yes but it wouldnt be any louder.
It will still clip at the same level into the amp.

Excalibur
12-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi
i run 2 x peavey pro-15 300w 4 ohm cabs from a Kam Kxr1000 amp (500w into 4 ohms per side).

sometimes, when its loud, the clip light lights up on the amp. My question is, what do i do when this happens. ie do i turn my amp up or down, my mixer down or what. i have the amps running at approx 60%.

Thanks a lot

To my eternal shame, I've forgotten where I saw it, but there's an article somewhere on setting up the sound path correctly. Basically, the theory is that all sections of the rig should go red at the same point, ie mixer and amp. Most of us run the amp control nearer flat out, and I'm guessing that your mixer is running bright red at this point. If that's not clear, I'm sorry my explanation was poor.

cosmicdiscos
12-03-2009, 08:48 PM
no, my mixer is not clipping

Excalibur
12-03-2009, 08:57 PM
no, my mixer is not clipping

Curious. :confused: If the amp's only turned up as you say, then I'd expect one of two things.
1) A mixer with all the red lights on
or
2) A mixer with an output way above the level of the amp.

nigelwright7557
12-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Do both channels have the clip LED on ?

Alchemy
12-03-2009, 09:15 PM
It's possibly because either the bass is too high or the top is too high. Does it happen when all the knobs are at 12 o'clock?
If it only happens occasionally it won't cause any problems, if the clip lights are on constantly then you will damage your amp and you should look at upping your power output,

Tom
12-03-2009, 09:16 PM
A lot of guys on the SP forum have the amps turned up all the way, then use the mixer to change the volume.

But having said that, some of them use a formula sound avc2, so how evermuch they push the mixer, the sound will not get any louder.

Worth getting a limiter if you want the safty of pushing the system to its limits but not killing the amp or speakers.

I only use a behringer limiter built in my LMS but it really helps. :)

Tony Scott
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
These amps have an input of 0.775v which is lower than the standard 1.23v found on most PA amps. I think your mixer may be over-driving the inputs of the amp (even though the mixer is not clipping). The result will be a square wave(clipped signal) being passed to the output stages, this would give you a clip warning!

Turn the potentiometers(volume controls) on the amp to MAX and cut the mixer output back, you may find this will improve output without clipping. If it doesn't then buy a bigger amp(not a KRX! :D)

I own a KAM-KXR600 amp (600w version of this amp), it doesn't like too high an input and gets really noisy when driven to clip!! I bought it because it was really cheap but only carry it as a back-up to my back-up of my back-up! :D

Excalibur
13-03-2009, 06:31 AM
These amps have an input of 0.775v which is lower than the standard 1.23v found on most PA amps. I think your mixer may be over-driving the inputs of the amp (even though the mixer is not clipping). The result will be a square wave(clipped signal) being passed to the output stages, this would give you a clip warning!

Turn the potentiometers(volume controls) on the amp to MAX and cut the mixer output back, you may find this will improve output without clipping. If it doesn't then buy a bigger amp(not a KRX! :D)

I own a KAM-KXR600 amp (600w version of this amp), it doesn't like too high an input and gets really noisy when driven to clip!! I bought it because it was really cheap but only carry it as a back-up to my back-up of my back-up! :D

The definitive answer which agrees with my musings. ;) :D :D
BTW Tony, I've got the 1500, and while it's not a Labtech or Crown, it does what it says on the box. :p :D :D

Roy James
13-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi there, if your running your speakers on a power amp apposed to a pa amp, then the power amp should be on full,and any adjustment made via the mixer.If your system is clipping,slightly reduce the input levels into your amp

Roy James.

cosmicdiscos
13-03-2009, 02:55 PM
thanks for all your advice