PDA

View Full Version : working with pcdjvj

markdj60
13-03-2009, 07:43 PM
hi can anyone tell me if they have had problems working with pcdjvj?

nigelwright7557
13-03-2009, 09:02 PM
What problems are you having ?

markdj60
13-03-2009, 09:09 PM
every now and then it just crashes ill be playing a tune then it just stops grrrrrr, and sometimes the right player loads really slow.

DJ James Lake
13-03-2009, 11:27 PM
No problems here

nigelwright7557
14-03-2009, 12:11 AM
every now and then it just crashes ill be playing a tune then it just stops grrrrrr, and sometimes the right player loads really slow.

I am guessing this is software on a laptop ?

Delays in Windows can be caused by Windows running short of memory and having to use the hard disc in place of memory.

What operating system are you running and how much memory have you got ?

markdj60
14-03-2009, 10:47 AM
windows vista and 1 gig of memory.

markdj60
14-03-2009, 10:49 AM
should be plenty to run this program my mate uses the same program and his computer is less speck than mine.

DJ James Lake
14-03-2009, 04:49 PM
have you set the video display for the video to the correct setting. The PCDJ VJ forum is the best place to ask questions.

They also have a very good guide for optimising your setup.

nigelwright7557
14-03-2009, 08:46 PM
windows vista and 1 gig of memory.

I use 2 gig with my PC with Vista as Vista is a bit memory hungry.

Its worth checking their website in case this is a bug and not a memory problem first.

markdj60
15-03-2009, 03:01 PM
thanks guys will check it out, it crashed on me again last night.

Disco Leisure UK
16-03-2009, 04:15 AM
Mines never stopped but it did used to be slow loading up especially on an external hard drive, anyway, got hold of a new and faster hard drive and since then no problems, even video loads better.

coloursounds
16-03-2009, 04:51 PM
The guy's at pcdj recommend at least 2gb when using vista no matter what dj software you use.

markdj60
16-03-2009, 08:02 PM
ok guys ill upgrade my memory then cheers.mine loads really slow sometimes to what hard drive do you recommend then?

DJ James Lake
16-03-2009, 08:55 PM
There was also an issue with nvidia graphics card drivers, a link for a working one is on the PCDJ USA forum

welby
18-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Mark,

you need to shut down all non essential services as these can take valuable resources away from PCDJVJ. I think PCDJ charge £80 per laptop to configure this for you, but you can do the same for FREE!

There is a brilliant article on how you can achieve this with running one file against your registry that turns off all essential services at a stroke here:

http://www.blackviper.com

Choose the correct file for your system i.e. xp or vista and which level of service pack and apply the file. There is even a default file you can apply if things go wrong. But please, please please.....

BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!

Then get yourself a copy of FREE MP3-check here:

http://www.audiomoves.de/index.php/content/view/14/31/lang,en/

PCDJVJ does not like corrupted MP3's and if your getting your mp3's from an unknown source :D tut tut they will crash PCDJVJ stone dead. NO WARNING and you will just look stupid and you get the usual smart arse hecklers!

I also do not use karakoke tracks from zip files as again PCDJVJ will crash if the zip file is corrupt. I always have matching pairs of MP3 and CDG files.

Lastly I use a programme called...dBpoweramp Music Converter (dMC). It's not free, but it allows you to re-encode your mp3 files. Especially useful if you are using a Cortex 1000 or 3000 as the Cortex can only play encoded files at 44.1khz. (Not applicable in your case).

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

I'm sure there is Freeware Software that will do the same. You could try here: http://www.snapfiles.com

It's a painful process, but will pay dividends in the end with a very stable system and good quality MP3's.

It's a steep learning curve, but after a while it seems a breeze!

Good Luck!

DJ James Lake
18-03-2009, 10:42 AM
PCDJVJ does not like corrupted MP3's and if your getting your mp3's from an unknown source :D tut tut they will crash PCDJVJ stone dead. NO WARNING and you will just look stupid and you get the usual smart arse hecklers!

I also do not use karakoke tracks from zip files as again PCDJVJ will crash if the zip file is corrupt.

I totally disagree on that, PCDJ VJ just refuses to load them into the decks if they are corrupt.

Traktor on the other hand will totally flip out and stop dead if you try to load a corrupt file.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I totally disagree on that, PCDJ VJ just refuses to load them into the decks if they are corrupt.

You can disagree all you like, but I've had the same thing happen to me.

DJ James Lake
18-03-2009, 06:19 PM
You can disagree all you like, but I've had the same thing happen to me.

Only trying to help as you will see from previous posts. Thats what the crashguard in the program is for and it works very well. I have used the program since version 1 and not had it happen once.

If the program crashes totally it's more likely to be something other than a dodgy mp3. The only time I had problems was because of a driver clash between my Xone 3d and the Denon DNHC4500, got rid of the Denon and not a problem since. If you visit the USA PCDJ forums (http://67.18.16.226/~admin/index.php) from research nearly every problem with VJ has a DNHC4500 in the chain. Go figure.

Here’s a couple of tips for you guys, to have a smooth running VJ

PCDJ VJ was designed to run on Vista if your running on XP expect problems.

Dont run your soundcard through an eternal hub if you use an external soundcard.

Use powered USB hard drives.

In the performances tab in setup there’s a couple of things you should do. First the presets bar, fastest means less CPU usage and best quality means high CPU usage. Personally i have mine 1 quarter from the left. If this is set to high for your machine you will run into performance issues, this will depend on your machines spec.. Start at best quality and reduce the bar position until your problem free.

Always set soundcard latency to auto, and if you’re on a laptop tick over clock. Safe mode is recommended for lower spec machines, it stops the players from being disturbed by too much CPU usage So You Wont Get any audio pauses/stutters..glitches etc.

Make sure you have the latest Drivers For Your Graphic Card. (very important for nvidia graphics cards)

Make Sure You Have The Latest Directx Installed.

Set your second monitor to 800X600

markdj60
18-03-2009, 09:51 PM
thanks guys that has been a real help i will try my laptop on sat to see if it runs better cheers.

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Only trying to help as you will see from previous posts. Thats what the crashguard in the program is for and it works very well. I have used the program since version 1 and not had it happen once.

If the program crashes totally it's more likely to be something other than a dodgy mp3. The only time I had problems was because of a driver clash between my Xone 3d and the Denon DNHC4500, got rid of the Denon and not a problem since. If you visit the USA PCDJ forums (http://67.18.16.226/~admin/index.php) from research nearly every problem with VJ has a DNHC4500 in the chain. Go figure.

Here’s a couple of tips for you guys, to have a smooth running VJ

PCDJ VJ was designed to run on Vista if your running on XP expect problems.

Dont run your soundcard through an eternal hub if you use an external soundcard.

Use powered USB hard drives.

In the performances tab in setup there’s a couple of things you should do. First the presets bar, fastest means less CPU usage and best quality means high CPU usage. Personally i have mine 1 quarter from the left. If this is set to high for your machine you will run into performance issues, this will depend on your machines spec.. Start at best quality and reduce the bar position until your problem free.

Always set soundcard latency to auto, and if you’re on a laptop tick over clock. Safe mode is recommended for lower spec machines, it stops the players from being disturbed by too much CPU usage So You Wont Get any audio pauses/stutters..glitches etc.

Make sure you have the latest Drivers For Your Graphic Card. (very important for nvidia graphics cards)

Make Sure You Have The Latest Directx Installed.

Set your second monitor to 800X600

James I appreciate that you are trying to help, but I have been also been running software for years with my machines optimised for music playback and problems still happen occasionally. Crashguard does not always work. I had the software crash to windows for no apparent reason and without a crashguard report.

Oh, and the problems I did have boiled down to an mp3 that the software didn't like.

501damian501
19-03-2009, 11:49 AM
James I appreciate that you are trying to help, but I have been also been running software for years with my machines optimised for music playback and problems still happen occasionally. Crashguard does not always work. I had the software crash to windows for no apparent reason and without a crashguard report.

Oh, and the problems I did have boiled down to an mp3 that the software didn't like.

whats the differance beween a powered hard drive and a usb powered drive, ok two different sizes, and doesnt have a :Censored: change in if the system will crash, stardard usb gives out xx voltage which is enough to power the drive and exchange data, its the fact its external, the data needs to travell, so :Censored: hard drives off and use an hot swappable harddrive on a pc... job sloved, no problemo

acording to the htfr book, you can use an 2.5inch unpowered harddrive with the denons and cortex, i havent used mine yet, but i,ll report back once i do, cheers damian

ok quick update, am here with my trusty cortex with my small 60gb usb powered hard drive, and its working a treat, i reckon if you keep the drives smallish, then they will be fine...

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-03-2009, 11:59 AM
And you have quoted me because....?

Vectis
19-03-2009, 12:02 PM
ok quick update, am here with my trusty cortex with my small 60gb usb powered hard drive, and its working a treat, i reckon if you keep the drives smallish, then they will be fine...

No. You need to use drives that have a current draw less than or equal to the capability of the host device.

I run 250GB and 320GB unpowered drives from my d2 with no issues.

501damian501
19-03-2009, 12:05 PM
No. You need to use drives that have a current draw less than or equal to the capability of the host device.

I run 250GB and 320GB unpowered drives from my d2 with no issues.

it,ll do untill i get the dodgy denon... :D

DJ James Lake
19-03-2009, 12:35 PM
whats the differance beween a powered hard drive and a usb powered drive, ok two different sizes, and doesnt have a :Censored: change in if the system will crash, stardard usb gives out xx voltage which is enough to power the drive and exchange data, its the fact its external, the data needs to travell, so :Censored: hard drives off and use an hot swappable harddrive on a pc... job sloved, no problemo

acording to the htfr book, you can use an 2.5inch unpowered harddrive with the denons and cortex, i havent used mine yet, but i,ll report back once i do, cheers damian

USB powered drives tend to put more strain on the USB ports, you start running into problems if you are using multiple drives with the ports running out of power.

One other problem I have encountered on numerous occassions over the years with running laptops specifically is that if the power supply in a venue isnt totally clean (and 5 out of 10 venues it isnt), not quite sure whether its voltage supply or noise in the mains circuits (perhaps someone else can explain), it can wreak havoc with software doing all sorts of crazy things. Laptops seem to be very fussy with this.

Now I always run through a UPS and dont have any problems at all.

welby
22-03-2009, 11:50 AM

I echo what you say - it's happened to me and noted which mp3 crashed it and it turned out to be a corrupt MP3 so crashguard does not always work.

And to say that PCDJ VJ is designed primarily on Vista is a nonsense as PCDJ VJ is a reskinned version of virtual dj, which is designed to run on windows 98 and upwards. I would't however run it on 98!

I have set my laptop to have minimum services running and went through my mp3 collection as my previous post cleaning and re-coding as required and can say that it runs very sooth without crashes and I have gigged many times without fault!

DJ James Lake
22-03-2009, 07:09 PM
And to say that PCDJ VJ is designed primarily on Vista is a nonsense as PCDJ VJ is a reskinned version of virtual dj, which is designed to run on windows 98 and upwards. I would't however run it on 98!!

Virtual DJ designed for previous systems yes, but was completely rebuilt with complete new code optimised for vista from version 5.0 and yes VJ does share the same code. I never said it would not run on previous systems it just runs best on Vista. Which is against the grain for mostdjing software which tends to run poorly on vista.

Ask Ryan from PCDJ on the PCDJ forums and he will confirm that.

welby
22-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Virtual DJ designed for previous systems yes, but was completely rebuilt with complete new code optimised for vista from version 5.0 and yes VJ does share the same code. I never said it would not run on previous systems it just runs best on Vista. Which is against the grain for mostdjing software which tends to run poorly on vista.

Ask Ryan from PCDJ on the PCDJ forums and he will confirm that.

Point taken James, equally I think you must agree there is mileage in what I say about "tweaking" your OS for optimium performance as why would Paul and his team at PCDJ offer a "laptop tweak!" service. To give a simple example, you wouldn't want the Net Time service kicking off every half hour or so, and that's just one of the many uncessary services that gets in the way of running a laptop/pc with optimum resources for PCDJ VJ.

I think it's also fair to conclude that other users have experienced sudden crashes that crashguard does not even catch, so I personally wouldn't put total faith in crashguard either. Computers crash unexpectedly for many reasons and whatever you can do to minimise these crashes is worth doing however small the "tweak".

Jiggles
22-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Anyone though about slipstreaming a XP disc with all the things they need and don't need? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_(computing)

DJ James Lake
23-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Point taken James, equally I think you must agree there is mileage in what I say about "tweaking" your OS for optimium performance as why would Paul and his team at PCDJ offer a "laptop tweak!" service. To give a simple example, you wouldn't want the Net Time service kicking off every half hour or so, and that's just one of the many uncessary services that gets in the way of running a laptop/pc with optimum resources for PCDJ VJ.

I think it's also fair to conclude that other users have experienced sudden crashes that crashguard does not even catch, so I personally wouldn't put total faith in crashguard either. Computers crash unexpectedly for many reasons and whatever you can do to minimise these crashes is worth doing however small the "tweak".

I get the feeling that they offer the tweaking service for users that are not very experienced with computers, it really isnt difficult to do.

I never put faith entirely in a computer and always have a backup ready, but I guess I've just been lucky so far because VJ has always behaved well for me except for the problems between the Denon DNHC4500 and Allen & Heath Xone 3d drivers I mentioned earlier.

All in all I love PCDJ VJ and would highly recommend it.