PDA

View Full Version : Kam Star Cluster 3d

wensleydale
14-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Anyone got one?
What they like.

Seen the video and they seem ok.

Do they still have to be directed above peoples eye level?

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-03-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't think it's better than the normal cluster lasers. Save your money and go for a standard one.

501damian501
14-03-2009, 12:33 PM
whats your budget ?

Adam_F
14-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Agree with Darren here.

If anything, they look a bit "busy" when projected onto a wall, save yourself a bit of cash and go for the standard one.

wensleydale
14-03-2009, 12:43 PM
what would be the "cheaper" alternative then?
the sc 3d seems to be about £230.

Vectis
14-03-2009, 01:48 PM
what would be the "cheaper" alternative then?
the sc 3d seems to be about £230.

Equinox Nebula, presently around £175 but I've seem them as low as £149 recently - just not sure where.

I have two and they are my favourite effect.

I'm sure Darren will concur.

wensleydale
14-03-2009, 02:36 PM
thanks gents.

do these have to be above eye level then or is that something that doesnt always apply?

nigelwright7557
14-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Anyone got one?
What they like.

I bought one recently for £208.
I had asked for the 140 model £178 but they had none in stock (they claimed the 140 had a design fault) and offered the 3D instead for £208.

There arent a massive amount of sequences it can manage but looks stunning with smoke.

The green laser just rotates a mass of green beams and the red laser seems to do a star burst pattern.

wensleydale
15-03-2009, 09:11 AM
I bought one recently for £208.
I had asked for the 140 model £178 but they had none in stock (they claimed the 140 had a design fault) and offered the 3D instead for £208.

There arent a massive amount of sequences it can manage but looks stunning with smoke.

The green laser just rotates a mass of green beams and the red laser seems to do a star burst pattern.

so are they worth it then?

Vectis
15-03-2009, 09:35 AM
They're a great addition to any mobile lightshow.

They so totally different to any other kind of effect and even though I've been running them for getting on for a year, people still "ooh" and "aah" when I switch them on :) Especially if there's a reasonable amount of haze and the room is fairly dark because then you get the beams rather than just the dots.

wensleydale
15-03-2009, 10:22 AM
They're a great addition to any mobile lightshow.

They so totally different to any other kind of effect and even though I've been running them for getting on for a year, people still "ooh" and "aah" when I switch them on :) Especially if there's a reasonable amount of haze and the room is fairly dark because then you get the beams rather than just the dots.
sounds like they are worth a go then.
although the smoke machines not been used for a while....

Silver
15-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I've got one and absolutely love it. One of the best lights I've bought. Link up a Dmk controller and it's great fun. Never had so many positive comments and people watching it do it's thing! Well recommend it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Equinox Nebula, presently around £175 but I've seem them as low as £149 recently - just not sure where.

I have two and they are my favourite effect.

I'm sure Darren will concur.

Indeed.

CRAZY K
15-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Anyone got one?
What they like.

Can someone confirm on the elf n safety use of this kind of laser.

How does it effect PLI --if at all?

I have been considering getting one but concerned about getting sued by some muppet who suddenly goes blind ---as has been reported on here previously--never mind the price--how safe is it to use?

Silver presume you mean watching its effect on a ceiling or wall?

I assume you cant hit the dancers with it like other effects?

Are they really effective without haze (I dont use smoke or haze) or in half light which most of my style of gigs tend to be.

Thanks for your ideas,

CRAZY K

nigelwright7557
15-03-2009, 12:26 PM
so are they worth it then?

I was happy with the £208 I paid for mine but I dont think I would have paid the £280 going price.

501damian501
15-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Anyone got one?
What they like.

Can someone confirm on the elf n safety use of this kind of laser.

How does it effect PLI --if at all?

I have been considering getting one but concerned about getting sued by some muppet who suddenly goes blind ---as has been reported on here previously--never mind the price--how safe is it to use?

Silver presume you mean watching its effect on a ceiling or wall?

I assume you cant hit the dancers with it like other effects?

Are they really effective without haze (I dont use smoke or haze) or in half light which most of my style of gigs tend to be.

Thanks for your ideas,

CRAZY K

My mate uses his lasers and gets whem shining towards the crowd, he hasnt had one single problem, and hes been doing this for maybe the last 3 years now...

heres a video look at the 2minute 20second mark.

YouTube - EVANS WALTZER ON RIDE - KINGS LYNN MART 2009

when hes closer to home, i,ll get you some videos of his lasers and moving heads, if he has them out.

CRAZY K
15-03-2009, 01:49 PM
[quote=CRAZY K ROADSHOW;322993]

My mate uses his lasers and gets whem shining towards the crowd, he hasnt had one single problem, and hes been doing this for maybe the last 3 years now...

heres a video look at the 2minute 20second mark.

YouTube - EVANS WALTZER ON RIDE - KINGS LYNN MART 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAa8Nz2XUho)

when hes closer to home, i,ll get you some videos of his lasers and moving heads, if he has them out.

Useful info but I need the technical guff and safety recommendations for this type of unit---anyone?

thanks

CRAZY K

501damian501
16-03-2009, 10:43 PM
[quote=501damian501;323002]

Useful info but I need the technical guff and safety recommendations for this type of unit---anyone?

thanks

CRAZY K

wrong link lol

bangbang
02-04-2009, 06:31 PM
i bought one of these and they are great so i would recommend

Rodrik
14-04-2009, 09:40 AM
I think all cluster are have same in performance i you have good back up and complete info about that so you can go for it.

Bouncy Dancefloor
15-04-2009, 02:37 AM
im on the verge of getting one, recently had someone insist i have one for their wedding, as they saw another DJ with one (had to borrow one!)

and that youtube fairground clip, hes got quite a good DJ voice and nice mic technique!

OllieJames
15-04-2009, 07:46 AM
I saw one last Friday. I thought it looked excellent in haze, but with out haze you may aswell buy the normal one.

DJMaxG
17-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Anyone got one?
What they like.

Ideally so the audience can't see the laser beam.
I would hang them from the ceiling of a large hall, facing down on the dancefloor, a lot of effort though climbing ladders.

Is this the Star Cluster 3D you're after or the old one?

Babybob
29-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Ideally so the audience can't see the laser beam.
I would hang them from the ceiling of a large hall, facing down on the dancefloor, a lot of effort though climbing ladders.

And then tell people not to look up eh!!!!

:bang:

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-04-2009, 06:30 PM
:bang:

Welcome to my world. ;)

Babybob
29-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm thinking of buying the Equinox Nebula from Solo Technic....www.solotechnic.co.uk/equinox-nebula-laser-i53908.html

Anyone had any dealings with them, it's the cheapest I can find it at £148 plus £6.89 delivery making a total of £154.90.

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm thinking of buying the Equinox Nebula from Solo Technic....www.solotechnic.co.uk/equinox-nebula-laser-i53908.html

Anyone had any dealings with them, it's the cheapest I can find it at £148 plus £6.89 delivery making a total of £154.90.

Bargain! They were £300 when they first came out! :eek:

Babybob
29-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Looking at the Equinox Carina as well....don't know which one to go for though. :( :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
29-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Looking at the Equinox Carina as well....don't know which one to go for though. :( :(

What do you need it for? They are completely different lasers.

Babybob
29-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Maybe as a centrepiece or just as an additional effect. How much do they differ from each other as it's hard to see on Youtube.

OllieJames
29-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Maybe as a centrepiece or just as an additional effect. How much do they differ from each other as it's hard to see on Youtube.

Considerably.

The Nebula is a starcluster effect producing hundreds of laser 'dots'.

(yes i did just plug my own vid :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iSxxNEZ3cs

The Carina is a green 'scanning' laser. Therefore is useless without fog/haze and 'flys' around the room, unlike the nebula that produces a very wide spread of animated laser dots.

Hope this is helpful.

DeckstarDeluxe
29-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I use the kam cluster (till peter buys mine) and soon the prolight nebula for my basic packages because like ollie says its an nice effect without smoke.

For my larger rigs Im looking at crowd scanning lasers which 99% of the time will be used with smoke. The cluster wouldnt really suit this as much as a crowd scanning laser wouldnt suit a set up where you dont have the use of a smoke machine.

Penfold42
29-04-2009, 09:41 PM
The Nebula is a starcluster effect producing hundreds of laser 'dots'.

(yes i did just plug my own vid :D)

Have you ever DMX'ed the unit?....:sj:

Babybob
29-04-2009, 10:00 PM
So if I use the Nebula with smoke will it pick out the beams or will the Carina be more effective.

Thanks for the response Ollie...much appreciated.

:beer1: :beer1:

OllieJames
30-04-2009, 06:29 AM
So if I use the Nebula with smoke will it pick out the beams or will the Carina be more effective.

Thanks for the response Ollie...much appreciated.

:beer1: :beer1:

Yes, smoke will pick out the beams of any lighting effect :)

It depends what effect you want. Do you want lots of laser dots that don't move as violently? or do you want a big laser beam scanning around the room?

HTG Events
21-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm looking at getting a pattern laser but it seems the choice available now is far wider than when originally released when it was Prolight Equinox Nebula vs Kam Starcluster if I remember rightly?

With Kam in particular there now seem to be at least 4 or 5 badged as 'Mighty _____' as well as others like the 3D, the original one etc. Slightly fewer with the Prolight but I'm still faced with a rather bewildering array of very similar effects. One thing I have noticed though is that the Prolight pattern lasers seem to generally be claiming a higher number of beams - 500 or 1000 as opposed to the Kam generally 200 - does this make them better or does it just mean mean dimmer beams but more of them?

I'm basing this on the info on HTFR and would welcome any advice on getting the best 'bang for bucks' - like most people I'm looking at this as an effect to use mostly without smoke but with an eye on the odd occasion when I can use smoke or haze.

Kam (http://www.htfr.com/lasers/?manufacturer=kam)

Prolight (http://www.htfr.com/lasers/?manufacturer=equinox)