PDA

View Full Version : Grants/Loans/Financial Help

Candybeatdiscos
16-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi guys,

Right basically what i am looking for is help to source funding to help me get Kingdom Beats off the ground.

I have looked around at grants, however most do not seem to cater for the Entertainment business (or sex shops, bookies etc are we really that bad we get tarred with the same brush?)

Loans seems to be a no-no unless i want to pay extorinate rates ( I was bankrupt between oct 05 and sept 08).

Financial Help - from family and friends is a no-no as no one seems to have any spare cash lying around and people worring about jobs etc (understandable).

Now I have the company car (Astra hatch = 2 journeys to ferry gear around), but really need a van (leasing costs me £1500 deposit then £500 per month:eek:)

Yes i would like to buy new gear (wouldn't we all) but can wait.
However i need to advertise £300-£500 advertsing budget really required)

So all in all possibly looking for about 2k - 2.5k any idea's where and how i can raise this?

Dynamic Entertainment
16-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Ive ideas you couldnt put on a family forum (do you have a dock near your house BTW :D ).

Why not look at getting cheap second hand equipment first and work your way up as you get more work in. Self funding that way (bar the small outlay). :)

Sapphire Disco
16-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Reading your post I can not really understand why you want to borrow money to get the business going.
It sounds like you have a reasonable job if you have a company car , why don't you try and minimise your gear, say 2 x 12" tops & one small sub & smaller lights so you only have to make one trip.
Do a few gigs save the money and buy a van for cash there are a lots of cheap good quality vans on the market at the moment & rebuild your business slowly.

Just my opinion reading between the lines :)

501damian501
16-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi guys,

Right basically what i am looking for is help to source funding to help me get Kingdom Beats off the ground.

I have looked around at grants, however most do not seem to cater for the Entertainment business (or sex shops, bookies etc are we really that bad we get tarred with the same brush?)

Loans seems to be a no-no unless i want to pay extorinate rates ( I was bankrupt between oct 05 and sept 08).

Financial Help - from family and friends is a no-no as no one seems to have any spare cash lying around and people worring about jobs etc (understandable).

Now I have the company car (Astra hatch = 2 journeys to ferry gear around), but really need a van (leasing costs me £1500 deposit then £500 per month:eek:)

So all in all possibly looking for about 2k - 2.5k any idea's where and how i can raise this?

heres acouple of damians ideas, START SMALL AND POWERFUL!, maybe princes trust could help you, their loans are spread over 3years and the interest on repayments is about 3% i was told.

at the moment and time, taking out loans is not a very good idea...

whats the big deal with a dock steve ???

Tony Scott
16-03-2009, 10:13 PM
As ginger mick sang...'money's too tight to mention'

Why not get a towbar and trailer for the speakers and the rest of the kit can go in the car, I did this for a few years and it cost me about £300 all in.

Why advertise? I built my own site for nothing and it costs me around £40 a year to host. I worked away at it and got lots of links to get my ranking up and now get 90% of my business through the site.

Second hand kit is really easy to come by and quite good value, I've seen some bargains on MDD alone. :)

....whats the big deal with a dock steve ???

.....lots of horny sailors with cash to spend for the right gal (transvestite)! :D

501damian501
16-03-2009, 10:18 PM
As ginger mick sang...'money's too tight to mention'
.....lots of horny sailors with cash to spend for the right gal (transvestite)! :D

hahahahaha :D :D

Shaun
16-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Ahem...family friendly forum. Keep it clean guys. :d

nigelwright7557
16-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi guys,

I spent £100 on a Yellow pages ad then just did my own website.
I am currently turning work away.

I just started off small then built the gear up as time went on.
Even my CD colection was small to start with, I just bought very mainstream tracks.

I use an estate car and the gear fits in fine.
You will pick up a van pretty cheap on ebay.

501damian501
16-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Keep it clean :d

give it a wash then shaun :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I am currently turning work away.

Yes, because you charge £100 a night....:bang:

And yes, I know you only do it for fun.....

Tom
16-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Have you thought about a personal loan???

Don't know if that would work??? Just tell the bank you are looking up do the house up. Once you got the money they don't need to know where it's going.

Tony Scott
16-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Have you thought about a personal loan...

...Just tell the bank you are looking up do the house up. Once you got the money they don't need to know where it's going.

...or you could get one of those 40% interest loans where they put you in a wheelchair for missing a payment! www.sharkiesloans.co.uk :D

Vectis
16-03-2009, 10:44 PM

Don't know if that would work??? Just tell the bank you are looking up do the house up. Once you got the money they don't need to know where it's going.

Oooooohhh!!! That's naughty. I appreciate you're talking about an unsecured loan but there are things called charging orders these days and I'm pretty sure the banks take these into account as part of the decision process.

Sorry - no loan raising suggestions - but have a think about trying to get some cheap midweek work such as quiz nights? Not big bucks but then not much kit required - just your time in terms of planning. Use this to build up a stash?

rob1963
16-03-2009, 11:32 PM

Just what I was thinking.

have a think about trying to get some cheap midweek work such as quiz nights? Not big bucks but then not much kit required

Ohhhh...that's a good idea. I might give it a go myself! :D :D :D

501damian501
16-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes, because you charge £100 a night....:bang:

And yes, I know you only do it for fun.....

now i,d hate to think you do it solely for money darren :D

wensleydale
17-03-2009, 06:16 AM

when you've been bankrupt a personal loan aint going to be easy to come by.

discomobiledj
17-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Don't know if this can help for the equipment....

http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19063

Also for funding.....

http://www.mrsiteforum.co.uk/blog/articles/help-with-funding-for-your-business/

womble
17-03-2009, 07:46 AM
when you've been bankrupt a personal loan aint going to be easy to come by.

Hi Wensleydale,

In my day job I also run a finance company and might be able to help you out.

If you drop me a pm, I'll send you some details and I can get some quotes for you? No obligation, etc.

Chris.

Sapphire Disco
17-03-2009, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't borrow any money at the moment, if you can get a few bookings under your belt with deposits use that, why do you need to borrow money ?

Just a word of warning about some loan companies they might seem like they are offering a good deal but you have to purchase up front insurance, which ups the total loan by 30% , not such a good thing to do.

ppentertainments
17-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I would heed the advise of 'use what you have got for now'.
Your advertising budget requirements are not high so could you not use the money from a couple of gigs to cover that.

As far as vehicle goes, do you take too much kit at the moment. There are many dj's, myself included, who are taking out minimal equipment. You still need to ensure backup is available but you can get a nice elegant look (especially for weddings) without taking out a huge amount of gear. If neccesary I can use our MG ZS (about the same size as the astra) and get all the kit in there (tight squeeze though). When your business can then substain the costs of a van - then get one.

The suggestion of 'cheaper' midweek work is really good although personally I am finding it very difficult to obtain regular midweek work. Most the venues seem to be cutting back dramaticaly and for likes of quiz nights they just get a punter to run one for a couple of pints.

Also look at the venues you are regular at. I am now starting to look at popular venues who do a lot of midweek weddings and have got quite a bit of 'extra' work this way.

501damian501
17-03-2009, 12:03 PM
save save save save save save save, thats all you can do every £1 makes £100 and every £100 makes a grand in my eyes.

ppentertainments
17-03-2009, 12:11 PM
save save save save save save save, thats all you can do every £1 makes £100 and every £100 makes a grand in my eyes.
Which bank do you use for that amount of interest :confused: :confused:

501damian501
17-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Which bank do you use for that amount of interest :confused: :confused:

The royal bank of under the mattress :D

nah i was just saying, every pound adds up to £100 ect ect, so just save, stuff loans and things