PDA

View Full Version : Please be easy on me....New Website

dmckaraoke
17-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Ok guys take it a bit easy still a work in progress but would like to get some pointers in the right direction.

1- Its the first time I've tried making a website so its took alot longer than i thought to get my head around it..

2 -Some of the pics have been repeated due to me just try to get my head around the software etc.(these will get changed)

3 - Have looked at other websites and took some lessons from them in the format and layout of text i intend to write some of it as i work out the correct words etc.

4 - Very unsure what to do next so any comments good or bad would be of great use too me ...

www.thekilteddj.com

discomobiledj
17-03-2009, 01:22 PM
On the homepage the text needs to be changed from:

At www.thekilteddj.com your event is just as important to us as it is to you.When you choose the Kilted Dj you

are choosing a Dj with professionalism and dedication to make you event stress free.

The Kilted Djs are a South of Glasgow based company

supplying both private and public venues with

experienced professional Djs.

The Kilted Djs provide Djs for Weddings and Corporate

Events,Private functions,Birthday Parties,Bars and

Nightclubs,Themed Events and Quiz Nights.

We have a huge music collection and are always happy

to play requests.Further more we work closely with all

out clients to discuss your arrangements and ensure

we are fully prepared for your event.We always ensure that you have a night to remember for all the right reasons.

To:

At www.thekilteddj.com your event is just as important to us as it is to you. When you choose the Kilted Dj you are choosing a Dj with professionalism and dedication to make you event stress free.

The Kilted Djs are a South of Glasgow based company supplying both private and public venues with experienced professional Djs.

The Kilted Djs provide Djs for weddings and corporate events, private functions, birthday parties, bars and nightclubs, themed events and quiz nights.

We have a huge music collection and are always happy to play requests. Further more we work closely with all out clients to discuss your arrangements and ensure we are fully prepared for your event.

We always ensure that you have a night to remember for all the right reasons.

Not keen on a menu being over two lines, anyway you can streamline it, for example, sub menu's.

The Our Services page is ok, the only thing I would change would be the alignment of the text, make it justify rather than left align.

On the Weddings page just go over the text and make sure that spaces are where they should be etc and lose the extra space at the bottom of the page.

Disco/Karaoke page, get rid of the different sized text, make it all one size and same again with the alignment.

Racenight page, same with the text, make it the same font and size throughout the page and alignment.

Like the photo gallery.

Tributes/Bands, same with the text, make it the same font and size throughout the page and alignment.

FAQ's page, same with the text, make it the same font and size throughout the page and alignment as well as getting rid of the extra spaces between some of the sections.

Think that's about it! Hope it helps.

rob1963
17-03-2009, 01:54 PM
On the home page, a couple of corrections from discomobiledj require correcting themselves:

Further more we work closely with all out clients to discuss your arrangements. Furthermore should be one word, and all out clients should be all our clients.

On the "Our services" page, I counted 6 occasions where you incorrectly used a capital letter instead of a small one.

On the disco/karaoke page, the text changes size in the same paragraph. Also, you need to put a space after every comma & full stop.

On the same page, you have the following: "this does not mean that we don’t travel outwith these areas" Is outwith a word?

The FAQ page could do with more content, as it only has 7 FAQs at the moment. I'm sure there are lots of other questions you get asked as well.

Your phone numbers are on the Our services page, but not on the Contact page! I think it would be better if you also added them to the contact page.

Also, there are a number of places on your website where there are strange gaps in the text. These need removing.

Finally, I think there places where the text is not particularly well-written, and could do with a bit of a revamp.

I hope this helps.

:)

dmckaraoke
17-03-2009, 02:14 PM
My god I am workin hard to make these changes as they are noted...Im not the greatest content writer so comments are more than welcome...

Pe7e
17-03-2009, 02:45 PM
You need to give the overall layout and graphic design a rethink, IMO it's fragmented and lacks continuity. You also seem to be 'double branding' the site, is it the 'kilted dj', or is it 'dmc events'? The best bit's the gallery, the rest needs a lot of work.

dmckaraoke
17-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Having made some changes as per various quotes..yes i agree with all of them..

I have to say thou having never tried making a website before i found it very daunting.. thus the reason i posted. ok is no great i accept that but i think for first time no bad..

As for the double branding???..The website idea was to promote the side of the company www.thekilteddj.com the only reference i see the use of is my logo.(I like my logo and damm proud of it..thanks Elitedj)

From small acorns grows large oak trees..lol

OOOo and yes I'm sure at lot of changes will still be made but please dont shoot me down on my first effort..

Shaun
17-03-2009, 04:01 PM
the only reference i see the use of is my logo..

Seems to be a slight problem with the logo on the site. On "The Kilted DJ"...the white outline of the word "The" has vanished?

1st Choice Karaoke
17-03-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't know if its just my browser being weird but the pics load very slow for me... not having issues on any other sites... (Using Sky Broadband 8mb on internet explorer)

Jiggles
17-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't know if its just my browser being weird but the pics load very slow for me... not having issues on any other sites... (Using Sky Broadband 8mb on internet explorer)

Some of the images are HTML resized so they take a while to download! IF he resized them to the correct size then they would load faster.

Marc J
17-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Most of the images are sized in HTML, making it very slow to load.

I'd have gone for the full eye-popping tartan background rather then the rather dull grey image you've used, I've been looking for an excuse to use http://www.tartanmaker.com/ for ages!

Is there any reason you're using a yahoo email address and not an @thekilteddj.com one? I think the latter gives a more professional image...

dmckaraoke
17-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Resizing images as per advice..cheers