PDA

View Full Version : yellllll

amplified
17-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Just wondering if anyone else is advertising in the yellow pages. i decided to for the first time this year both in the book and on the internet and i must say i am disapointed. They said i will proberly get 2-3 phonecalls a week and i've had about 6 in 2 months. i got more phonecalls by advertising in the local paper. does anyone have success with advertising in the yellow pages or am i just expecting to much

Danno13
17-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Right at the top of this forum between "New Posts" and "Quick links" is another link you will find useful, this has been done many times before! :)

Daryll
17-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I took up the free listing , which, after a year has produced one enquiry ( turned into a booking ;) ) .
but you do get pestered to take out a paid advert.

Daryll

DeckstarDeluxe
17-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Yell is rubbish

Case closed.

rob1963
17-03-2009, 09:32 PM
My free ad on Yell.com means I (reluctantly) have a free ad in my local Yellow pages as well.

I've had nothing from the paper directory, and one booking request from the website, although the person didn't even return the booking form.

In my experience, Yellow pages & Yell.com are about as much use as a fart in a spacesuit.

amplified
17-03-2009, 09:33 PM
well i think iv found that out the hard way £200 it cost me aswell, appologies if this is a report thread i'm still geting used to the forum

Vectis
17-03-2009, 09:37 PM
In my experience, Yellow pages & Yell.com are about as much use as a fart in a spacesuit.

Unless you like wasting time with tyre-kickers trying to beat £60 Sid's best price :bang:

Tony Scott
17-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Unless you like wasting time with tyre-kickers trying to beat £60 Sid's best price :bang:

Yeah that's about it Martin, that's all i seem to get anyway. I get around one enquiry a week from my free listing but very rarely get a booking from them. :(

Dynamic Entertainment
17-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I get plenty of phone calls from the free listing. Get about one a mont converted, usually the smallest package too.....

rob1963
18-03-2009, 12:04 AM
I get plenty of phone calls from the free listing. Get about one a month converted

That's about one a month more than the rest of us, Steve, so you should consider yourself lucky!

Dynamic Entertainment
18-03-2009, 08:24 AM
That's about one a month more than the rest of us, Steve, so you should consider yourself lucky!

Its the area. Most of my bookings from away (i.e. people coming to let Lakes to get married) come via the interweb. But local bookings for birthday parties etc are phone calls via the big yellow book. By Yellow Pages own admission, Cumbria is bucking the national trend and staying with the book and not the net, or Yell.com.

CRAZY K
18-03-2009, 08:37 AM
My free ad on Yell.com means I (reluctantly) have a free ad in my local Yellow pages as well.

I've had nothing from the paper directory, and one booking request from the website, although the person didn't even return the booking form.

Yes---even the YP free lister time wasters dont ring anymore--

Shame, I used to enjoy some of the old jokes---

Do it for £100 --oh yus!!!!!!!!!!!

£100 an hour:D :D :D

CRAZY K

Wayno
18-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Mmmmm, Interesting.

Yell is the marmite of the ad world. I have had varying degrees of success - yell.com even at it's poorest at least paid for itself twice over.

As for the book - May I ask what type of listings you have? - a little 15mm box? - my success with this type of ad was not great however this year I designed my own quarter coloumn full colour ad based on my website graphics and it is working really well for me - book went live in September and I have converted at least 1K's worth of bookings from it.

I suppose what I'm saying in terms of my own experience with the book is you get what you pay for... You buy a cheaper ad, it will attract the cheaper enquiries and tyre-kickers. You pay a bit more money and put some effort into your company branding and the advert and it will pay dividends.

A lot of people are quick to blame the book but have you considered what the client sees when the flick through the pages... most of the ads look and read the same, think outside the box - less is more, in this day and age the yell ad should be a "call to action", a stepping stone to your website not an untidy mess of "discos for all occasions".

DazzyD
19-03-2009, 08:31 PM
We used Yellow Pages last year. We had 2 ads in the Sunderland book - one in the Discos-Mobile and one in the Wedding-Entertainment section. Both ads were white on black so they stood out. The total cost was £598 and, at the last check (people still see those ads even though we're not in the new book due to restructuring Lightning) we made over 10 times that.

So, for us anyway, Yellow Pages worked well and is part of our marketing plan again for 2010 when we're relaunching Lightning with a new brand image.

DiscoPromotions
25-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Yell internet works best for us. Looking at the our stats it is the 3rd biggest source of traffic to our site.

1st is adwords, 2nd organic/direct

Thompson has only produced one hit, guess what we will be telling the sales person when they call us next.

Steve the DJ
25-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Right at the top of this forum between "New Posts" and "Quick links" is another link you will find useful, this has been done many times before! :)

Just remember when being facetious that the forum is not presented the same in all browsers... :p

This is it in Google Chrome for example:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1008/mdd.png

...and here it is in Internet Explorer or Firefox:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9918/mdd2.png

Spot the difference?

Yell is pants by the way and just generates price shoppers in my experience. Waste of money.