PDA

View Full Version : PAT Tester

Sapphire Disco
01-04-2009, 06:19 PM
So any good getting one of these to do your own testing and maybe make some money doing other peoples as well ?

http://planet.farnell.com/email/cpc/WebOffers/mar_2309clp.htm

Or do you have also have some sort of qualification as well ?

Is this all that's done just plug the item in and press a button or is there a visual check & report as well ?

kjdiscos
01-04-2009, 06:20 PM
a qual would be a wise idea to be a pat tester, And realy its questionable if you pat tested your own stuff to be honest

You need to know about class's etc etc, Then do the app register, and paperwork, certificate, labels

C&G 2377 is the course you should look at doing if you want to become a tester

Dynamic Entertainment
01-04-2009, 06:21 PM
No you dont need to be qualified KJ, theres no qualification as such (you can become a electrician) as long as you can show and prove that your compatant at completing the test. I would be a bit more cautious of testing other peoples gear though. :)

I know plenty of larger outfits which test themselves as the oncost otherwise would be quite large and they have never encoutered a problem with it.

kjdiscos
01-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Some firms do test themselves but alot will get someone in as it could be questionable realy, As far as saying you dont need a qualifiaction goes, For sake of doing 2377 you might aswell, That way you learn how to test things proper i.e class's and if the readings are wrong, When not to flash test etc

discomobiledj
01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
I'll be testing my gear once my PAT tester comes through.

kjdiscos
01-04-2009, 06:27 PM
I'll be testing my gear once my PAT tester comes through.

If your going to do it fair enough, But seriously consider doing a course if you have'nt otherwise

Dynamic Entertainment
01-04-2009, 06:28 PM
How could it be questionable? Aslong as you show to be competent at the job your fine. Thats HSE's stand, after all the PAT is only advisory from their point of view. I know this because ive checked it out with them.

kjdiscos
01-04-2009, 06:29 PM
How could it be questionable? Aslong as you show to be competent at the job your fine. Thats HSE's stand, after all the PAT is only advisory from their point of view. I know this because ive checked it out with them.

Ok, So example you buy your tester from online, Turns up you test your gear, Do you know the regs ? when an item should be retested what class it is ?, What is a pass or fail ?.

These pat testers that just plug and test work on set values, It could fail on a long extension when actualy it should pass, That fail has just cost your client or yourself etc etc

And the questionable bit is just from with the trade, alot of people will get someone else to do there gear,

wensleydale
01-04-2009, 06:32 PM
So any good getting one of these to do your own testing and maybe make some money doing other peoples as well ?

Is this all that's done just plug the item in and press a button or is there a visual check & report as well ?

when i bought mine i dont think the seaward one you link to does extension leads- i bought one called simplepat which does.

and no- you dont need to be qualified- although a course might be a wise idea.

kjdiscos
01-04-2009, 06:33 PM
when i bought mine i dont think the seaward one you link to does extension leads- i bought one called simplepat which does.

and no- you dont need to be qualified- although a course might be a wise idea.

A course isnt mandatory, But a very wise idea as this chap says

After all they say a competant person can do it, But how could you provde you are or doing it right, If you have done a course ?

A1DL
01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
If you are not competent and do not understand what you are doing and just "plug it in and press some buttons", the first appliance you attempt to test may be the last you ever attempt to test.

kjdiscos
01-04-2009, 06:44 PM
If you are not competent and do not understand what you are doing and just "plug it in and press some buttons", the first appliance you attempt to test may be the last you ever attempt to test.

spot on :) flash test everything lol

Daryll
01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Local for me.

http://brighton.floodlight.co.uk/brighton/course-details-reviews/central-sussex-college/portable-appliance-testing-candg-2377-certificate/16180339/26156520/course-info.html

I fully intend to do this.

Daryll

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-04-2009, 08:14 PM
theres no qualification as such

Actually, there is. There's a city and guilds qualification. Corabar Steve has it.

spin mobile disco
01-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Regulations aside that tester looks a bit on the basic side. Especially when dealing with metal cased objects don't they normally have a flash test voltage probe for finding an earth?
Must admit with the amount of gear i test each year if it can do all the types of gear it would pay for itself in 2 years. But inhouse testing always raises questions with corporate clients so may cost work in the long run (opinion there not getting at anyone)

Excalibur
01-04-2009, 08:24 PM
theres no qualification as such (you can become a electrician) as long as you can show and prove that your compatant at completing the test. I would be a bit more cautious of testing other peoples gear though. :)

Actually, there is. There's a city and guilds qualification. Corabar Steve has it.

theres no qualification as such Inserting the words Statutory or minimum into that phrase ( As I believe Disco Steve did earlier ) make it correct as far as I understand.

Obviously having training/qualifications is a sensible and desirable state of affairs, after all, you're playing with electricity. ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-04-2009, 08:28 PM
http://www.theiet.org/careers/courses/electrical/test/pattest.cfm

kjdiscos
01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
I would just like to add,

Without doing a course how on earth will you know how to test ?

A1DL
01-04-2009, 08:38 PM

:innocent:

discomobiledj
01-04-2009, 09:56 PM
The Electricity at Work regulations states that:

"No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger, or where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work"

The IEE Code of Practice states, those carrying out the inspection and testing must be competent to undertake the inspection and, where appropriate, testing of electrical equipment and appliances having due regard of their own safety and that of others. What should be considered is that the 'danger' to be prevented, includes not just the dangers which may arise during the testing procedure to the tester and others, but also the dangers which may arise at a later date as a result of using equipment which has not been effectively tested.

The tester must have an understanding of the modes of electrical, mechanical or thermal damage to electrical equipment and appliances and their flexes which may be encountered in any environment.

Training must include the identification of equipment and appliance types to determine the test procedures and frequency of inspection and testing. Persons testing must be familiar with the test instruments used and in particular their limitations and restrictions so as to achieve repeatable results without damaging the equipment or the appliance.

Corabar Steve
02-04-2009, 08:02 AM
No you dont need to be qualified KJ, theres no qualification as such

Obviously not enough to know that there is a qualification

Dang! beat me to it :sj:

The Electricity at Work regulations states that:

"No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger, or where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work"

The IEE Code of Practice states, those carrying out the inspection and testing must be competent to undertake the inspection and, where appropriate, testing of electrical equipment and appliances having due regard of their own safety and that of others. What should be considered is that the 'danger' to be prevented, includes not just the dangers which may arise during the testing procedure to the tester and others, but also the dangers which may arise at a later date as a result of using equipment which has not been effectively tested.

The tester must have an understanding of the modes of electrical, mechanical or thermal damage to electrical equipment and appliances and their flexes which may be encountered in any environment.

Training must include the identification of equipment and appliance types to determine the test procedures and frequency of inspection and testing. Persons testing must be familiar with the test instruments used and in particular their limitations and restrictions so as to achieve repeatable results without damaging the equipment or the appliance.
Indeed

You don't want one of those, you want one of these....http://instrotech.com/europa-plus-p-471.html

I got mine from the same people, fantastic service & they'll pick it up free of charge when calibration is due.

Dynamic Entertainment
02-04-2009, 08:09 AM

I was aware, but as HSE say its not compulsory to have the C&G (i was under the impression that the C&G was far more than just how to do a PAT, most of which you wont need? (if its just about doing PAT, ill hold my hands up and say im wrong. :)).......

If your only testing your own gear, and know how to do it then why fork out the extra cash. If you want to go and test other peoples stuff then the C&G is a must anyway.

Corabar Steve
02-04-2009, 08:12 AM
That's not how it came across earlier in the thread, but as long as people are aware of the facts......

SC Events
02-04-2009, 09:37 AM
James - a DJ with us is a qualified PAT Tester.

He went on a course to be able to it. The qualification is NAPIT

So, as far as I know you do need a qualification to do it, otherwise everyone would be doing there own?! :)

kjdiscos
02-04-2009, 09:51 AM
James - a DJ with us is a qualified PAT Tester.

He went on a course to be able to it. The qualification is NAPIT

So, as far as I know you do need a qualification to do it, otherwise everyone would be doing there own?! :)

NAPIT are a body they dont issue quals

Pe7e
02-04-2009, 09:58 AM
]

Not quite,

Training and Qualifications
No specific qualifications are required to under take the PAT testing, rather that they must be competent to do so. However a City & Guilds 2377 - Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment, qualification is available. The City & Guilds 2377 course has been designed jointly by the IEE and City & Guilds.

Competent Person
A competent person is defined as - 'A person possessing sufficient technical knowledge or experience to be capable of ensuring that injury is prevented

kjdiscos
02-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Well i think best way is people who want to be qual to know how to test properly do so,

People who just want to buy a tester and make a few quid, Then go for it, When you damage your customers equipment, Or fail an item that should have passed because you don't know the limits, Then don't come crying

And dont forget your pli for pat, Its different to discos

kjdiscos
02-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Dang! beat me to it :sj:

Indeed

You don't want one of those, you want one of these....http://instrotech.com/europa-plus-p-471.html

I got mine from the same people, fantastic service & they'll pick it up free of charge when calibration is due.

v good tester there steve :D, You got the software on pc to ?

Corabar Steve
05-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Yep