PDA

View Full Version : should i go for..

Cj_The_Dj
04-04-2009, 09:01 PM
I have been offerd
a pair of Abstract XP3 £130 (with cases)
and a pair of acme rovers £220 (display from a shop)

i have never seen any of the above but heard good things about the rovers.

what would you lot say.

these light will be used with a pair of acme imove 5s

many thanks.

OllieJames
05-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Well, both units have independant colour and gobo wheels, but the Rover has more gobos and more colours. That's the only big difference i can 'see' over the net.

Have you got any other lighting to accompany the imoves and the new barrels?

Cj_The_Dj
05-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Well, both units have independant colour and gobo wheels, but the Rover has more gobos and more colours. That's the only big difference i can 'see' over the net.

Have you got any other lighting to accompany the imoves and the new barrels?

only the kam javlin, im trying to have a less is more rig. but dont know what t do.

OllieJames
05-04-2009, 09:07 AM
only the kam javlin, im trying to have a less is more rig. but dont know what t do.

Oh right okay.

Obviously, the moving heads will act as your main 'movement' lighting, so you need to make sure that the lighting you choose to buy will add something to the dancefloor. Barrel scanners are effective, but don't add a lot of light to the dancefloor as they are constantly moving around the room too.

For example, my setup consists of 4 dynamos, 2 magic gobos and a nebula laser. The dynamos give the movement around the room, the magic gobos cover the dancefloor and the laser fills in the gaps.

If the javelin covers the dancefloor well enough (i'm not sure, as i haven't seen one before) then the barrels would be a good investment. If not, i suggest something like goboflowers, or an LED effect for the dancefloor.

I hope this was of some help!

Cj_The_Dj
05-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Oh right okay.

Obviously, the moving heads will act as your main 'movement' lighting, so you need to make sure that the lighting you choose to buy will add something to the dancefloor. Barrel scanners are effective, but don't add a lot of light to the dancefloor as they are constantly moving around the room too.

For example, my setup consists of 4 dynamos, 2 magic gobos and a nebula laser. The dynamos give the movement around the room, the magic gobos cover the dancefloor and the laser fills in the gaps.

If the javelin covers the dancefloor well enough (i'm not sure, as i haven't seen one before) then the barrels would be a good investment. If not, i suggest something like goboflowers, or an LED effect for the dancefloor.

I hope this was of some help!

If some one can tell me the abstract are good and better than the rover. i will get them and maybe buy the moon flower that matchers.

and yes that was some help. but would i need some colour wash?

OllieJames
05-04-2009, 09:22 AM
If some one can tell me the abstract are good and better than the rover. i will get them and maybe buy the moon flower that matchers.

and yes that was some help. but would i need some colour wash?

Okay :)

Colour wash is always useful as it too, fills in the gaps. I just haven't gotten round to it yet. I'm tempted to buy some kind of LED unit to use as uplighting behind me though.

I wouldn't say colour wash is essential, as i know plenty of DJs that just use scanner and moonflower type lights without any colour wash.

DJ James Lake
05-04-2009, 10:53 AM
You cant go wrong with abstract lighting, I have some abstract scanners that are nearly 10 years old and still easy to get spares for. They are built a lot better than any acme light. Try getting hold of spares for acmes and you'll know what i mean.

A1DL
05-04-2009, 11:09 AM
James is spot on. Abstract lighting is built to last, in the country, and if properly cased, will survive the rigours of the road. I often PAT Abstract gear that is 10+ years old and still working perfectly.

Abstract are a small UK company that care, with top QC standards and after-sales service from Steve and his team.

In comparison, Acne lighting is firmly budget end imports from the Far East - this is clearly reflected in its lightweight construction and price.

I know where I'd rather spend my money...

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Although I agree with the build quality of the Abstract gear, I certainly don't agree with the customer service for our particular market.

They moved on from the 'DJ' market a while ago. When was the last time you saw them at a trade show displaying anything to do with our market?

Cj_The_Dj
05-04-2009, 05:56 PM
so are the abstract better than the rovers/

Cj_The_Dj
05-04-2009, 05:57 PM
You cant go wrong with abstract lighting, I have some abstract scanners that are nearly 10 years old and still easy to get spares for. They are built a lot better than any acme light. Try getting hold of spares for acmes and you'll know what i mean.

it is very easy just ring prolight and they post it, and it arives the next day.

edit im getting the abstracts :) thanks steve.

DJ James Lake
05-04-2009, 07:22 PM
it is very easy just ring prolight and they post it, and it arives the next day.

edit im getting the abstracts :) thanks steve.

Try ringing them for a transformer for a Acme Party Scan then, I had two go and couldnt get replacements.

Dynamic Entertainment
06-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Try ringing them for a transformer for a Acme Party Scan then, I had two go and couldnt get replacements.

I rang prolight directly for one and had it within 3 days........ You trying the chinese directly? :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I rang prolight directly for one and had it within 3 days........ You trying the chinese directly? :D

:lol:

DJ James Lake
06-04-2009, 10:14 PM

No I was told that they had discontinued the 100w version and didnt carry spares.

Anyway try it in 10 years time and see how you get on then.

Dynamic Entertainment
06-04-2009, 10:28 PM
No I was told that they had discontinued the 100w version and didnt carry spares.

How long ago was that. I got mine about 6 months ago.

I dont plan on having my Dynamos in 10 years time. Technology will have changed so much the dynamos may as well have been carved out of stone and powered by coal, i reckon :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Not a great example.

I phoned Abstract to get some different lenses for their colour changers and guess what? They don't make them and can't supply spares, so there's that theory out the window....

Dynamic Entertainment
06-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Not a great example.

I phoned Abstract to get some different lenses for their colour changers and guess what? They don't make them and can't supply spares, so there's that theory out the window....

Im sure some chinese company can get you some...they managed Rover...... :D

06-04-2009, 10:47 PM
My experience of using the XP2 and XP3 is that they get extremely hot, i think it may be a design problem with them. It's a shame as they produce a great effect, especially when coupled up with the Extreme DJ Controller (which incidentally stopped working about 16 months of on the road use :( )

Since I've owned them all the units have had to have their bulb holders replaced (the excess heat had melted the cable on the bulb holder)

The screws that hold them together quite often have worked themselves loose during transport.

And most recently (well about 2 years ago) a couple of the units have stopped working so they all sit in my garage awaiting repair, which, by judging what i've read abstract tonight, i'd best get on with it and get the bits before they discontinue them....:( :( :)

DJ James Lake
07-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Not a great example.

Well I guess you spoke the wrong person at abstract the person I spoke to was very helpful and gave me the number of the person who handles discontinued model spares.

www.lteltd.com 0116 2865956 ask for adam.

I just got new coloured lenses for my VR8's. The glasses are all here http://www.lteltd.com/djs&lSparesDichroicGlass&HeatFilters.htm