PDA

View Full Version : W Audio Da 800 - Amplifier (500 Watt)

DJMaxG
07-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Good Value for money, tough wearing, 250 watts per side @ 8 ohms.

This is my home rig, so 500 watts is plenty. Good for powering satillite speakers, when using sub woofers, or for a small pub rig.

Advantages

- Good Price (June 08)
- Jack and RCA In
- Jack and Speakon Out
- Stylish Black
- Detatchable IEC Lead

Disadvantages

- No "Thru" Outputs to link to other amps
- No XLR Inputs / Outputs

These Amplifiers are manafactured by Prolight Concepts, UK Based Company. Known also as Warrior.

Dynamic Entertainment
07-04-2009, 05:29 PM
They are not manufactured by prolight, they are bought in by them. Again, you havent said much that the cannot be found on then net.......

A1DL
07-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Good Value for money, tough wearing, 250 watts per side @ 8 ohms.

This is my home rig, so 500 watts is plenty. Good for powering satillite speakers, when using sub woofers, or for a small pub rig.

Advantages

- Good Price (June 08)
- Jack and RCA In
- Jack and Speakon Out
- Stylish Black
- Detatchable IEC Lead

Disadvantages

- No "Thru" Outputs to link to other amps
- No XLR Inputs / Outputs

In the absence of XLRs, are the Jack and RCA inputs really an "advantage"?

Rather like reviewing a car and listing "steering wheel" as an advantage... but it won;t go faster than 40 mph.

Dynamic Entertainment
07-04-2009, 05:31 PM
RCA would be ok for the living room....... (can we have a "tongue in cheeke" emoticon) :)

DJWilson
07-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Advantages

- Stylish Black

Im not sure thats an advantage...?

DJMaxG
10-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Im not sure thats an advantage...?

I suppose it isn't :D

RCA would be ok for the living room....... (can we have a "tongue in cheeke" emoticon) :)

RCA Inputs are good enough for BBC Glastonbury, can't say I've noticed any difference in sound quality. Just that XLR's and 1/4" are tougher cable.

Jack is just as good, just hasn't got the extra pin for earth.

Rather like reviewing a car and listing "steering wheel" as an advantage... but it won;t go faster than 40 mph.

It can be an advantage if you have a mixer without XLR/Jack Outputs, such as the Pioneer DJM 400.

They are not manufactured by prolight, they are bought in by them. Again, you havent said much that the cannot be found on then net.......

Yes, they are imported, but that doesn't stop us referring to them as Prolight, that is the brand name.

A1DL
10-04-2009, 04:31 PM
RCA Inputs are good enough for BBC Glastonbury,

Max - where a sound source has unbalanced outputs, in a festival or any other half decent live production environment, the unbalanced connection will be DI'd on stage and sent to the FOH desk either using balanced XLRs across an analogue snake, or digitially via ADAT.

Tony

CRAZY K
10-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Max - where a sound source has unbalanced outputs, in a festival or any other half decent live production environment, the unbalanced connection will be DI'd on stage and sent to the FOH desk either using balanced XLRs across an analogue snake, or digitially via ADAT.

Tony

think ill stick to Weddings /Parties with two speakers and a pair of leads ;)

CRAZY K

A1DL
10-04-2009, 05:26 PM

CRAZY K

What about the ironing board, Alan? ;) :cool:

CRAZY K
10-04-2009, 11:00 PM
What about the ironing board, Alan? ;) :cool:

Yes thats all included in the price--no extra charge;)

regards

Alan
CRAZY K

Excalibur
11-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Yes thats all included in the price--no extra charge;)

regards

Alan
CRAZY K

How much do you charge for shirts then? I've always thought it would be great to have your shirt ironed just before you go on. :D

Corabar Steve
11-04-2009, 10:57 AM
RCA Inputs are good enough for BBC Glastonbury, can't say I've noticed any difference in sound quality. Just that XLR's and 1/4" are tougher cable.& you know this to be correct how exactly?

As Tony said, I seriously doubt an organisation like the BBC would use RCA over XLR

It can be an advantage if you have a mixer without XLR/Jack Outputs, such as the Pioneer DJM 400.
Having just googled it I doubt any serious DJ would be using such a pidley little thing & in any case you could always use something like the leads shown below. I'm beginning to wonder if you are actually anything more than a bedroom hobbyist, because it is becoming apparent that you still need to learn a lot.

Excalibur
11-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Having just googled it I doubt any serious DJ would be using such a pidley little thing & in any case you could always use something like the leads shown below.
Are you reading this Justin? :p :p :p :D :D :D

I'm beginning to wonder if you are actually anything more than a bedroom hobbyist, because it is becoming apparent that you still need to learn a lot.

The first step in gaining knowledge is to accept how little you already know. I don't know much. ;)

A1DL
11-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Having just googled it I doubt any serious DJ would be using such a pidley little thing

Name hip hop and Scratch DJs tend to use what we would describe as "piddly little mixers" which may only have RCA phono outs, however, the relevant point is at a large event the unbalanced signal is only travelling a very short distance to a DI box.

No difference with keys - 99% of keyboards have unbalanced outputs on 1/4 inch jacks - but again, they get DI'd on stage - so again, the unbalanced signal only goes a few metres.

Max seemed to give the impression that a 100m RCA phono lead was run in the multicore trench at Glasto, which is absolutely ridiculous! Perhaps he was unaware that all the stage sound sources go half way across a field to the FOH desk BEFORE being sent back to the racks behind the stage!

Corabar Steve
11-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Name hip hop and Scratch DJs tend to use what we would describe as "piddly little mixers" which may only have RCA phono outs,
As I said I doubt any serious DJ would be using such a pidley little thing :sj:

Excalibur
11-04-2009, 12:47 PM
As I said I doubt any serious DJ would be using such a pidley little thing :sj:

You've not met Justin, have you Steve? :confused: Ask him to show you his mixer. ;) ;) I'll give you a hint. It doesn't look a lot like this.
http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR195988

Sits back and waits for :- "size isn't everything/ it's not what you've got , it's how you use it/ good things come in small packages" :D :D :D

DJMaxG
11-04-2009, 02:03 PM

CRAZY K

Great Stuff, just pop down the local car boot and buy an old Hifi :D

CRAZY K

You've not met Justin, have you Steve? :confused: Ask him to show you his mixer. ;) ;) I'll give you a hint. It doesn't look a lot like this.

Sits back and waits for :- "size isn't everything/ it's not what you've got , it's how you use it/ good things come in small packages" :D :D :D

Perhaps attach a photo of the Mixer, what is it, a DJM400

& you know this to be correct how exactly?

As Tony said, I seriously doubt an organisation like the BBC would use RCA over XLR

Having just googled it I doubt any serious DJ would be using such a pidley little thing & in any case you could always use something like the leads shown below. I'm beginning to wonder if you are actually anything more than a bedroom hobbyist, because it is becoming apparent that you still need to learn a lot.

I use Jack to Speakon and balanced Jacks, but I know that RCA's can be used as an Alternative.

Excalibur
11-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Max, I'd cheerfully post a piccy of Justin's mixer, but I haven't got a macro lens for my camera. :( :o :o
This is my old one, mission control. How I miss her. :cry:

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR99940

Justin's saving up to buy it. ;)

BeerFunk
11-04-2009, 05:25 PM
The Pioneer DJM 400 may be small in size, but the sound quality is a lot higher than a lot of the larger rackmount mixers used by many mobile DJs :)

Excalibur
11-04-2009, 07:19 PM
The Pioneer DJM 400 may be small in size, but the sound quality is a lot higher than a lot of the larger rackmount mixers used by many mobile DJs :)

It's defo better than the old KAM now! :( :D :D :D

Corabar Steve
12-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Ah, but in a perfect world, it would be :sj:

Corabar Steve
12-04-2009, 12:52 AM
This is my home rig,
What do you gig with?

Excalibur
12-04-2009, 02:38 AM
Ah, but in a perfect world, it would be :sj:

Oh yuss. :D

DJWilson
13-04-2009, 01:52 PM
What do you gig with?

He doesnt do gigs

Penfold42
13-04-2009, 01:54 PM

PMSL......quality that......:rofl:......:D

DJMaxG
13-04-2009, 06:11 PM
He doesnt do gigs

The Aim of this thread is an Equipment review.

I have seen your Level of equipment, and it is not even worth having.
You said to me privately that you disapprove of LED Lighting, when it forms a large area of Pro Lighting.

The W Audio DA800 isn't the best amplifier on the market, it isn't the most powerful, but it is decent enough.

DJWilson
13-04-2009, 06:16 PM
The Aim of this thread is an Equipment review.

I have seen your Level of equipment, and it is not even worth having.
You said to me privately that you disapprove of LED Lighting, when it forms a large area of Pro Lighting.

The W Audio DA800 isn't the best amplifier on the market, it isn't the most powerful, but it is decent enough.

The gear I have I am and so are clients happy with. My gear does the job and earns me money. And does it matter if I like LED lighting or not thats a matter of opinion. And finally I didnt say the amp was good or not so where you get that from:confused:

A1DL
13-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Max

Nathan does have a valid point - reviewing an amplifier that you use on your home rig in your bedroom, on the MOBILE disco directory equipment review section is somewhat missing the point.

How does the amplifier fare being thrown in and out of a van several times a week?

How does it cope with hot sweaty venue, bad ventilation, etc?

How hot does it get when given a good caning?

Those are the sort of criteria that are relevant to someone reading a review with a view to purchasing a product to use on the road.

Tony

TonyB
13-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I'll answer the last questions :)

Being thrown in and out of a van (not literally) they seem to survive okay i.e. pretty robust.

Cooling is usually pretty efficient. I say usually because the air intake is at the top so if you put it in a flightcase, you have to leave at least a 1U gap at the top to allow for airflow. Put it in a 2U flight case and block the air intake and it will overheat.

Soundwise, the DA series lack bottom end (and probably aren't as powerful as they state for full range). I have done a side by side comparison with a Warrior DA and a more upmarket amp of about the same power (actually it was less) and the more upmarket amp was louder before it started to clip and gave much better bottom end (Warrior bass was more of a "phut phut" compared to a more upmarket amp giving a "boom boom").

They may well be fine for bedrooms or a small rig (depending on speaker efficiency, I probably wouldn't use one on its own for more than about 60 people). The one I used was very easy to clip without seeming to be very loud.

A1DL
13-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Being thrown in and out of a van (not literally) they seem to survive okay i.e. pretty robust.

Cooling is usually pretty efficient. I say usually because the air intake is at the top so if you put it in a flightcase, you have to leave at least a 1U gap at the top to allow for airflow. Put it in a 2U flight case and block the air intake and it will overheat.

Soundwise, the DA series lack bottom end (and probably aren't as powerful as they state for full range). I have done a side by side comparison with a Warrior DA and a more upmarket amp of about the same power (actually it was less) and the more upmarket amp was louder before it started to clip and gave much better bottom end (Warrior bass was more of a "phut phut" compared to a more upmarket amp giving a "boom boom").

They may well be fine for bedrooms or a small rig (depending on speaker efficiency, I probably wouldn't use one on its own for more than about 60 people). The one I used was very easy to clip without seeming to be very loud.

Now THAT'S more like a review :thumbs_up:

DJWilson
13-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Im still debating if its more helpful then Maxs' ;)

DJMaxG
13-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Max

Nathan does have a valid point - reviewing an amplifier that you use on your home rig in your bedroom, on the MOBILE disco directory equipment review section is somewhat missing the point.

How does the amplifier fare being thrown in and out of a van several times a week?

How does it cope with hot sweaty venue, bad ventilation, etc?

How hot does it get when given a good caning?

Those are the sort of criteria that are relevant to someone reading a review with a view to purchasing a product to use on the road.

Tony

I Agree with you Tony,
But throwing it in and out a van should not happen, If you look after the equipment, it should last.

The issue with Flightcases and the Warrior, I truely believe that as well, I admit there is vents at the top.

This particular amp doesnt get hot really either.

The Bass is poor, infact there isn't any. I don't know whether it is the Amplifier or the Skytec SL15 Speakers ... Any Ideas?

A1DL
13-04-2009, 09:21 PM
But throwing it in and out a van should not happen

Max, I didn't mean literally "throwing", I'm talking about it being placed or wheeled within a flightcase or amp rack, taking knocks and bumps as other racks are wheeled into it, vibration from being on the road... as opposed to sitting on a clean, warm melamine bedroom shelf , next to teddy :)

The Bass is poor, infact there isn't any. I don't know whether it is the Amplifier or the Skytec SL15 Speakers ... Any Ideas?

I'd say they were perfectly matched. There's little point in using a decent amp to run a pair of skytecs, and likewise, not much point in hanging pro boxes off a prolight amplifier. Probably OK for bedroom use or very small house parties (well, after a couple of pints, or ten)

discoden
06-08-2009, 05:36 PM
I have used two warrior da800 amps to power 2 x peavey pro 15 tops and 2 x peavey pro 15 subs. 1 amp for tops and 1 for the bass bins.
I have been using this set up for over two years now and have not encountered any problems and feel the sound is great and has filled some big venues no problem.
Have thought of changing to an amp that will power all 4 speakers but prefer to run two so that if there ever is a problem i can just switch to one and use the tops only.
I would not hesitate to buy warrior products in the future.
cheers
den

NKR
23-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I Agree with you Tony,
But throwing it in and out a van should not happen, If you look after the equipment, it should last.

The issue with Flightcases and the Warrior, I truely believe that as well, I admit there is vents at the top.

This particular amp doesnt get hot really either.

Could be the skytec speakers, but the warrior amps are a budget range so don't expect them to light up venues either. And if they are only knocking out 250 watts at 8 ohms are probably underpowered to be running 15" drivers (I don't know the RMS output of the SL15;s).

I rely on a mix of Crown and QSC depending on my mood. Amps are a personal choice, but for me Warrior (imported prolight) doesn't give me the confidence I need to take the show on the road. Also I have heard them in action and they do come across a bit light on the bottom end.

I am new on hear so be gentle.

JAMdisco
26-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Sorry, a bit late in on this one.

Peter may make fun of my small 2 channel mixer, but :-

Has it EVER let me down? No, not once, not ever!

Does it sound better than Peter's old mixer? - Yes, proved when sound testing his Class-D's

Does it work with all applications? Yes, unlike Peter's £90 sound card :p

Is it easy to use? Yes, very.

Do I earn any less because of my small Mixer? Nope.

Peter, size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts :p ;) :D

Excalibur
26-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Sorry, a bit late in on this one.

Peter may make fun of my small 2 channel mixer, but :-

Has it EVER let me down? No, not once, not ever!

Does it sound better than Peter's old mixer? - Yes, proved when sound testing his Class-D's

Does it work with all applications? Yes, unlike Peter's £90 sound card :p

Is it easy to use? Yes, very.

Do I earn any less because of my small Mixer? Nope.

Peter, size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts :p ;) :D

Has the cost of Justin's next PA hire just gone through the roof? Oh yuss. :D

And for those who don't know (cos Justin doesn't like the facts to get in the way of a good story ;) ) I've now got an even bigger one! :eek: And it is better than Justin's Fisher Price one. :p The only thing it doesn't have is USB inputs. and I won't embarrass the lad by asking why he doesn't use the mic mute button on his mixer, or the three band mic EQ. :D :D :D