PDA

View Full Version : Commision...and stuff.

Dynamic Entertainment
07-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Right here goes. Im (possibly) about to talk to a community centre (its a non-profit organisation), with a social club, bar etc etc, about becoming their regular DJ.

Im thinking about sweetening the deal (they have been using a Sid, but aint happy) slightly for them with a nominal discount for a direct booking with them with one of their events and paying them a 10% commision for every booking that comes my way.

The way im thinking of working this is tell the centre to pass over my business card when they get a room hire (if their client asks about djs but wants to book their own), along with a unique reference number. If their client then books with me, and the reference number checks out, i will pay the centre a 10% commission. What do you think?

This one community centre would turn into upto 15 seperate venues because of the parent company, so im quite keen to get my foot in the door.

CRAZY K
07-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Right here goes. Im (possibly) about to talk to a community centre (its a non-profit organisation), with a social club, bar etc etc, about becoming their regular DJ.

Im thinking about sweetening the deal (they have been using a Sid, but aint happy) slightly for them with a nominal discount for a direct booking with them with one of their events and paying them a 10% commision for every booking that comes my way.

The way im thinking of working this is tell the centre to pass over my business card when they get a room hire (if their client asks about djs but wants to book their own), along with a unique reference number. If their client then books with me, and the reference number checks out, i will pay the centre a 10% commission. What do you think?

This one community centre would turn into upto 15 seperate venues because of the parent company, so im quite keen to get my foot in the door.

Good idea, do you know the quality of business you might be getting at a Community Centre--I used to know a couple in Watford that were definitely dubious for Discos. :eek:

CRAZY K

Dynamic Entertainment
07-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Good idea, do you know the quality of business you might be getting at a Community Centre--I used to know a couple in Watford that were definitely dubious for Discos. :eek:

CRAZY K

They get a lot of community groups in having their AGM's, 18ths, 21sts, a few christenings, even had the odd wedding their. Each venue was built specifically for purpose. Theres 2 community rooms, an internet cafe, a regular cafe, a gym, the social club with bar and a private function room which is quite a nice looking room (really well done out).

08-04-2009, 08:57 AM
This is something that we've done in the past and still do, it works well and cements the relationship with the venue very well!

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't like the idea and never have. All my recommendations come because we provide a good service, not because we are paying people to do it.

I know that's the way of the world, but I don't like it.

Dynamic Entertainment
08-04-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't like the idea and never have. All my recommendations come because we provide a good service, not because we are paying people to do it.

I know that's the way of the world, but I don't like it.

I know what you mean Daz, and that was my main hang-up. It always makes you wonder if your getting the business becase your good, or because of the cash.

Im not insisting on the venue using me, just giving them an incentive to pass my card over. The party organiser doesnt have to use me, and they would still get the same level of service at the enquiry (meeting etc etc). Then its their choice. Its just another way of getting the name out there....

ppentertainments
08-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Just watch it is not perceived as a 'back-hander'. It is something which happens a lot and is a pet hate of mine.

Dynamic Entertainment
08-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Just watch it is not perceived as a 'back-hander'. It is something which happens a lot and is a pet hate of mine.

Yeah, its gonna have to be open and transparent. And the centre is going to be told not to push me, or make me their "you must use this dj" bloke. I dont want to be that :)

Vectis
08-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Personally I wouldn't enter into such an arrangement. You never know how this might backfire (quite apart from the legalities which must be carefully considered, and especially how they relate to tax).

I've no problem with casual arrangements... for example I have one regular local manor house venue who recommend me for their higher-budget events (they also have a £60 Sid on their list for the more budget-conscious customer) and in return I do them a good deal on their annual staff party. The more punters they send my way, the better the deal. Works very well but there needs to be an element of stability and trust in place.

Dynamic Entertainment
08-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Thats a good way of working Martin. may have to nick that idea if i may :)

geoffrey
09-04-2009, 03:17 PM
I have seen this happen quite a few times and you may find you end up doing the party’s for next to nothing.

The DJ or DJ’s that play there already or want to, may end up bettering your offer until you better theirs.

I would like to say this is most unlikely but it is the other way around if your dealing with cash incentives.

Dynamic Entertainment
09-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Good point. Im not willing to get into a price war with any other dj. I know the one that they currently use is extracting the urine a fair bit 9their own admission), so ill hold tight and see what they bring to the table :)