PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna go nutts .. The cracking noise coming from my laptop

Rowleys
13-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Now i really have no idea why this is making a cracking noise manly with the BASS

i got some noise filter .. never worked

i cut the earth from the laptop power pack .. never worked

i thought it was from the power pack but when i unplugged it it was still there ..

the only way i can stop this noise is connect the other monitor for the karaoke and turn it on and out put something to it from the laptop and the noise stop

i tried to different sound cards and still the noise is there

does anyone else get this ??

Excalibur
13-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Info please.
What soundcards, what laptop, what programme, for example. You appear to have gone along the obvious lines so far, but I suspect it's a setting problem in the laptop. (As if I'm a Computer expert) :o :o

Rowleys
13-04-2009, 07:45 PM
OK sound card is a 5.1 USB sound card..

laptop HP zv5000

external 500GB HDD USB

using VDJ

sound card setup as left deck front output
right deck rear output

hope this help ..

but i think its a earth with the laptop metal ..

Eg where the plug VGA plug screws in can i connect a wire from there to the mixers ground point??

Rowleys
13-04-2009, 08:02 PM
just to add the noise is not a HUM its really like a crackly

witch old happens when connected to disco gear

Excalibur
13-04-2009, 08:12 PM
As is well known, I'm not an IT boffin. I think one problem may be using one budget card for two channels. A MAYA or similar might help. Alternatively a mixer with built in sound cards, like Justin's monster. :D
If you could borrow something like that it might help. Wait for the IT crowd to arrive.

Rowleys
13-04-2009, 08:15 PM
yeh i was thinking usb mixer but its funds lol

discomobiledj
13-04-2009, 08:34 PM
If it's happening with when the monitor cable is not plugged in then your laptop is not earthing properly. When the monitor connects to the laptop the earth is complete again.

Simples!

Sapphire Disco
13-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Does it happen if you listen through earphones on your laptop ?

Could you have too much gain on your MP3 files , have you changed them recently ?

Rowleys
13-04-2009, 09:02 PM
If it's happening with when the monitor cable is not plugged in then your laptop is not earthing properly. When the monitor connects to the laptop the earth is complete again.

Simples!

so how can i do this with connecting the monitor ??

Does it happen if you listen through earphones on your laptop ?

Could you have too much gain on your MP3 files , have you changed them recently ?

no i have not changed my mp3s

and yeah i here it in the headphone from the music that from the laptop but not in the CD player so it from the laptop

Excalibur
13-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Simples!

i thought it was from the power pack but when i unplugged it it was still there ..

Well, it appears to fit the available facts. ;) :D

Sapphire Disco
13-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Sounds like too much gain on MP3 files , have you checked them what do they look like on VU meter ? they should be about 90db.

Excalibur
13-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Sounds like too much gain on MP3 files , have you checked them what do they look like on VU meter ? they should be about 90db.

On a similar note, is there a master gain turned too far up in the program? My system for home use does this if the output is too high in the pre amp.

Sapphire Disco
13-04-2009, 09:18 PM
On a similar note, is there a master gain turned too far up in the program? My system for home use does this if the output is too high in the pre amp.

Could be would do the same thing , distort the sound & make it crackle.

Excalibur
13-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Could be would do the same thing , distort the sound & make it crackle.

That's what I was meaning. :thumbs_up:

Rowleys
13-04-2009, 09:30 PM
its nothing coming from the music ..

even if there no music play you can still here it but more clear with the bass notes..

even with the earth on the laptop power pack it still cracks...

like i said is there nothing i can do by connecting the laptop to the ground on the Mixer

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Does it still do it if you use it just on battery power?

Excalibur
13-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Does it still do it if you use it just on battery power?

;) :p :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-04-2009, 09:36 PM
;) :p :D

Must concentrate and read the whole thread carefully....:o

Excalibur
13-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Must concentrate and read the whole thread carefully....:o

That's word for word what I didn't dare post. :( :( :D

discomobiledj
13-04-2009, 09:49 PM
You obviously missed this one!

Simples!

Excalibur
13-04-2009, 09:56 PM
You obviously missed this one!

Er, no. Read, learnt and inwardly digested. ;)

See post #10.

Rowleys
13-04-2009, 10:07 PM
So any ideas ??

discomobiledj
13-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Read all the posts. Blimey, there is 3 pages of them.

Sapphire Disco
13-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Have you tried ripping a track since after it started to happen and listening to it ?
Have you tried listening through headphones to say you-tube or a radio station ?

Excalibur
14-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Read all the posts. Blimey, there is 3 pages of them.

Yeah, and when you've tried 'em all, buy the HDC of your choice. :sofa:

deltic
14-04-2009, 01:35 PM
have you tried it without the external hard disk?

Rowleys
14-04-2009, 04:33 PM
No but thinking about it .. i think thats where the noise is coming from

i remeber about 1 year ago i have a old external in a metal case and when i put it on top of the amp it stop some noise i was getting lol

the HDD i have now is plasic ..

ultrasound disco
14-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Sounds like digital distortion of some sort so it does seem like there is something somewhere turned up too loud on the sound card or the DJ software. (eg: virtual DJ)
It would be hard to imagine all of the music being over normalized though (eg 150%).