PDA

View Full Version : Chauvet Intimidator 2.0

DJMaxG
13-04-2009, 10:22 PM
This is one of the best Halegon Scanners for the price. No, It isn't made by Martin and it doesn't cost five hundred pounds either.

Features
- Gobo Disk
- Colour Wheel
- DMX

- No Power Output
- Controller Port (CA9)
- Dip Switches

Unfortunately, it has dip switches, and no power output.
However beats the Acme Dynamo by far, the casing is larger, and has a colour wheel, where's the dynamo just has fixed colour gobo's.

These are quite heavy, but well worth the money.
Like I say best for the price.

Any Questions, drop a comment below

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-04-2009, 10:25 PM
However beats the Acme Dynamo by far, the casing is larger, and has a colour wheel, where's the dynamo just has fixed colour gobo's.

What difference does a larger casing have? :confused:

Why compare to the Dynamos, when these are twice the price?

Vectis
13-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Unfortunately, it has dip switches

How so? You know where you are with DIP switches, whereas all these variants on LED displays for setting options vary across manufacturer and don't lend themselves to rapid changes without the manuals to hand.

Vectis
13-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Halegon

Is this some new technology I've not heard of? :confused:

Daryll
13-04-2009, 11:36 PM
er.............I brought 2 of these when I first started.

Problem 1: The adhesive used to attach the mirror is useless.

Problem 2: they burn out very fast , the transformer is a cheap Chinese one .
They are both now home to various spiders , and that's where they will stay.

daryll

DJWilson
14-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Whats wrong with DIP switches ????

Ive seen these lights and rather buy 4 Dynamos instead of 2 of these IMO.

Vectis
14-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Do they work with a CA8 ?

DJMaxG
16-04-2009, 04:46 PM
What difference does a larger casing have? :confused:

Why compare to the Dynamos, when these are twice the price?

The Dynamo's / Dynascans seem to be a more popular option, as they are manafactured by Prolight probably.

How so? You know where you are with DIP switches, whereas all these variants on LED displays for setting options vary across manufacturer and don't lend themselves to rapid changes without the manuals to hand.

I admit that myself, you do need to know your dip switch settings, but it's usually the first switch and the end one, or some simple combination like that.

Is this some new technology I've not heard of? :confused:

If you've not heard of it, "Halegon" is the type of bulb used. These are used in most domestic spotlights as well.

er.............I brought 2 of these when I first started.

Problem 1: The adhesive used to attach the mirror is useless.

Problem 2: they burn out very fast , the transformer is a cheap Chinese one .
They are both now home to various spiders , and that's where they will stay.

daryll

I guess the transformer is cheap and imported, that's what you get with most of these products, nothing is ever British made, hardly.

Whats wrong with DIP switches ????

Ive seen these lights and rather buy 4 Dynamos instead of 2 of these IMO.

Dynamo's have fixed gobo's like a star, three circles, etc. With the Intimidator 2.0, you have much more patterns, better ones, and even better, you can change the colour of them.

Who wants to see a yellow star, and 3 circles all night.

Dip switches are okay, less components to go faulty.

Do they work with a CA8 ?

I have heard from a DJ in Sheffield, that the CA8 is usually compatible, and I have tried it myself.

The CA8 will turn the unit on and off, the strobe works just about, but it doesn't work how it's supposed to. The 'Mode' button changes from spotlight mode to Gobo mode, and actions are a bit random.

With Most of these fixtures, dip switch settings have to be applied, but I have checked the manual, and can't find the relevant information.

I'd just like to add to the review, that whilst using the unit in Sound to light mode, the actions are a bit random, so a DMX Controller is fully reccomended.

It still beats the Dynascans any day.

Excalibur
17-04-2009, 06:35 PM
If you've not heard of it, "Halegon" is the type of bulb used. These are used in most domestic spotlights as well.

Well, well, well. One lives and one learns. As I've said before, a day without learning is a day wasted. That's a new one on me. :o :o
I :bowdown: to your superior knowledge. ;) ;)

discomobiledj
17-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Well, well, well. One lives and one learns. As I've said before, a day without learning is a day wasted. That's a new one on me. :o :o
I :bowdown: to your superior knowledge. ;) ;)

:Laugh:

Which is why this forum needs a spelling and grammar mod!

It does make for some painful reading sometimes.

Larry B Entertainment
11-05-2009, 02:47 PM

I think Vectis was on about how you put Halegen instead of Halogen.

I don't know about the 2.0's but with the earlier model I found having it on for more than 45 minutes would blow the lamp because the lamp seemed too higher a wattage for a casing that size and the cooling fans were not good enough.
I wouldn't use them again, I think going by how many people on here use Dynamo's that they must be the better buy.

Larry B Entertainment
11-05-2009, 02:48 PM
The CA8 will turn the unit on and off, the strobe works just about, but it doesn't work how it's supposed to. The 'Mode' button changes from spotlight mode to Gobo mode, and actions are a bit random.

So no then, the CA8 isn't compatible is it :(

Charlie Brown
11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Each to their own, we all prefer different types of lights. There are some LED lovers on here yet quite a few detest them.

Doesn't Tony use these scanners?

Excalibur
13-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Each to their own, we all prefer different types of lights. There are some LED lovers on here yet quite a few detest them.

Doesn't Tony use these scanners?

A1, Brown, or Scott? :confused:

Charlie Brown
13-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Tony Brown. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Tony Brown. :)

Any relation? :sj:

Charlie Brown
13-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Haha, I often wonder Darren. Sadly not, I wouldn't be ashamed mind. His light show's can be pretty awesome. Can't bear to hear the volume of his speakers though! :sj:

Tony Scott
13-05-2009, 11:34 PM
I used to use Intimidator 2.0 scanners until one packed up, I was very happy with them until then, they are the same unit as the Acme Winner and are a pretty nice effect for the dosh.
The repair is not going to be cost effective though so if I can't find a cheap second hand one I'll go for some more discharge Shiva's. :)

DJMaxG
15-05-2009, 04:40 AM
they are the same unit as the Acme Winner

Ah, I'm not sure whether you mean the same on the inside.

Looking at them both now, they do look a similar design. However, the unique thing about the Intimidator 2.0, is the case size. You will not find many scanners of the same shape and size as that.

DJMaxG
15-05-2009, 04:43 AM
So no then, the CA8 isn't compatible is it :(

The CA8 will work in a certain manner, but doesn't act how it would when controlling the Acme Impossibleds.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-05-2009, 10:06 AM
The CA8 will work in a certain manner, but doesn't act how it would when controlling the Acme Impossibleds.

IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE! :mad: :mad: :mad: :bang:

Larry B Entertainment
15-05-2009, 11:16 AM

:eek:
What's the point in saying the CA8 is compatible when you have stated here that it doesn't work properly with the fixture in question ?

It isn't compatible because it don't work how it should :confused: