PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a van

CRAZY K
16-04-2009, 11:45 AM
I may have to hire a van as I am probably covering a large Corporate gig at a Gatwick Airport Hotel:D

Does anyone have experience where its best to hire--ie national company or local---cost approx---medium size---and whether they freak out if you mention the word Entertainment---

Its for a Saturday night--

thanks

CRAZY K

kjdiscos
16-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I may have to hire a van as I am probably covering a large Corporate gig at a Gatwick Airport Hotel:D

Does anyone have experience where its best to hire--ie national company or local---cost approx---medium size---and whether they freak out if you mention the word Entertainment---

Its for a Saturday night--

thanks

CRAZY K

do some quotes online, when we've hired theyve never increased the price when said for entertainment, They sometimes do weeekend deals like friday - monday morning

16-04-2009, 12:55 PM
I use my local independant van hire place, as i was told by a friend that he was open to doing a bit of a deal and have more flexibility than the nationals....

I explained what i did and that i may need to hire them on a few occaisions throughout the year.

He dropped his rate from about £55 + VAT for a 24hr hire to £35 + VAT so a bit of a saving, only thing is that it's an early morning on the sunday to take it back as he likes it back by 0800...

Actually, i've never got a comparitive quote, is £35 + VAT good for a 24hr van hire?

Hope this helps.

discomobiledj
16-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I've always found that a small local company is much better and cheaper than a corporate hirer.

Dynamic Entertainment
16-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Try local as i know for a fact that a well known national chain (with a E as their logo) makes you hire the van on a sunday aswell, and they you return it on the monday. Its because they dont open sundays, so your costs go up.

Local businesses may allow you to return it on the sunday though :)

JAMdisco
16-04-2009, 02:25 PM
I used to work for a car and van hire company - a local firm called Minster Self-Drive.

Although we weren't flexible on prices, we wouldn't charge for a Sunday providing they returned it before 8am Monday morning. Basically to give us time to clean it ready for the next hire.

BTW, £35+VAT is a fairly good price for 24hr hire! :)

DeckstarDeluxe
16-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I used to work for a car and van hire company - a local firm called Minster Self-Drive.

Although we weren't flexible on prices, we wouldn't charge for a Sunday providing they returned it before 8am Monday morning. Basically to give us time to clean it ready for the next hire.

BTW, £35+VAT is a fairly good price for 24hr hire! :)

second that! Depends on what model van it is

I just looked at prices local to me incase my van repair wasnt done before my gig saturday and it works out £80 to hire a ford transit.

DJMaxG
16-04-2009, 06:29 PM

I just looked at prices local to me incase my van repair wasnt done before my gig saturday and it works out £80 to hire a ford transit.

It cost us £80 in 2004 to hire an 8 seater Volkswagen Caravelle!

You are not obliged to quote your profession, but obviously be sure to check the terms and conditions of hire etc. It will not bother them, you may be shifting cases in and out, but it's better than having building materials being transported in there.

Try your local Ford Rental, they should be quite good, and ring around of course.

visualdjmax
16-04-2009, 07:20 PM
It cost us £80 in 2004 to hire an 8 seater Volkswagen Caravelle!

You are not obliged to quote your profession, but obviously be sure to check the terms and conditions of hire etc. It will not bother them, you may be shifting cases in and out, but it's better than having building materials being transported in there.

Try your local Ford Rental, they should be quite good, and ring around of course.

Were you going camping then MAX?

How do you get any kit in a 8 -seater? Did you have have to put it on the passengers laps?

DJMaxG
16-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Were you going camping then MAX?

How do you get any kit in a 8 -seater? Did you have have to put it on the passengers laps?

We went to Sussex for a 3 day Holiday, stayed in a five star hotel

visualdjmax
16-04-2009, 07:37 PM
We went to Sussex for a 3 day Holiday, stayed in a five star hotel

Oh well that explains it!!!!!!!!

Danno13
16-04-2009, 07:40 PM
I used EuroCar the other month and it cost £80 odd for 24 hours, and that was with an under 25 premium and paying for a DVLA check too as I couldn't find my paper license, so it's not expensive really.. that was a Dispatch and they didn't even ask what it was to be used for.

CRAZY K
16-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I use my local independant van hire place, as i was told by a friend that he was open to doing a bit of a deal and have more flexibility than the nationals....

I explained what i did and that i may need to hire them on a few occaisions throughout the year.

He dropped his rate from about £55 + VAT for a 24hr hire to £35 + VAT so a bit of a saving, only thing is that it's an early morning on the sunday to take it back as he likes it back by 0800...

Actually, i've never got a comparitive quote, is £35 + VAT good for a 24hr van hire?

Hope this helps.

Thanks, it was sounding ok until you mentioned 0800 Sunday morning---
I would get back from the gig around 3.30am sooooooooooo-

NO!

Thats not going to work.

Ill have a punt round, just wondered if reliability varied between local and National--I really cant afford a breakdown.:eek:

CRAZY K

16-04-2009, 09:10 PM

It's usually a MWB transit, however, as he does me a deal i usually take whatever he gives me, i've never had anything smaller than a transit, on occaisions it can be up to a LWB Mercedes Sprinter.

NO!

Thats not going to work.

Ill have a punt round, just wondered if reliability varied between local and National--I really cant afford a breakdown.:eek:

CRAZY K

Are you planning to do anything on the Sunday? you could take it back and then go back to bed? or explain and they may give you Sunday for free, and drop back really early Monday morning?

I would guess most hire firms have breakdown service membership, (mine has RAC and also gives me an emergency number incase of any problems) so covered from all angles.:)

DeckstarDeluxe
16-04-2009, 09:10 PM

NO!

Thats not going to work.

CRAZY K

Crazy. You might be able to drop it off back at the rental on the way back from the gig?

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-04-2009, 09:12 PM
What date is it for Alan?

Excalibur
16-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Crazy. You might be able to drop it off back at the rental on the way back from the gig?

At four o'clock in the morning? :confused:

CRAZY K
17-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Are you planning to do anything on the Sunday?

)

Yes young Alan, get over the massive hangover from the night before brought on by working 15 hours including the job of Entertaining for 5 hours and then breaking down the kit and heading for home.

Your thoughts are appreciated though:D

thanks

CRAZY K

If it happens :(

13th June.

Bad sign eh?

CRAZY K

I arrive home 3.30 to 4 unload all the kit, wake the wife, the dog, the neighbours and the neighbours dog--- drive back to the depot--around 4.30 then walk 10-20 miles home because the wife wont come with the spare car because she needs her beauty sleep.

Well its a plan if nothing else.:bang: :bang: :bang:

CRAZY K

Not ignoring you Daz--I thought I made a post last night saying its June 13 if it happens.

Not a good sign:eek:

CRAZY K

Excalibur
17-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Not ignoring you Daz--I thought I made a post last night saying its June 13 if it happens.

CRAZY K

Have you considered trailer hire? May be cheaper, may not. ;) :confused: Returning it would be easier. :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-04-2009, 09:07 PM

CRAZY K

I was going to offer you my services, but I'm working.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Have you considered trailer hire? May be cheaper, may not. ;) :confused: Returning it would be easier. :D

Has he got a tow bar then? Could be expensive otherwise. ;)

Excalibur
17-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Has he got a tow bar then? Could be expensive otherwise. ;)

It would be, yes. I'm assuming towbar is default setting. I don't buy a vehicle without, or get one fitted pronto. I accept that's not what we all do.

Corabar Steve
18-04-2009, 08:35 AM
I thought I made a post last night saying its June 13 if it happens.
You did. It's in the big merged post that this quote came from.

CRAZY K
18-04-2009, 10:11 AM
You did. It's in the big merged post that this quote came from.

Ahhhh sorry about that.

Er no tow bar Peter.

I cant afford the time to drive at 60 on Motorways where I spend a lot of time driving to long distance gigs--like this one ;)

Sorry you cant make it Daz--would be nice to see you--its my only free Saturday in June--:D

I am actually considering a van as my next vehicle--after I have worn out the Mondeo Estate---its a hard job but someone has to do it.;)

Trouble is the wife wants her car upgraded if I do that:eek:

CRAZY K

DeckstarDeluxe
18-04-2009, 12:22 PM

They might be happy with droppping the van off in the yard and posting keys through the letterbox?

Excalibur
18-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Ahhhh sorry about that.

Er no tow bar Peter.

I cant afford the time to drive at 60 on Motorways where I spend a lot of time driving to long distance gigs--like this one ;)
CRAZY K

I'd be :Censored: ecstatic if I could achieve 60 mph without a trailer. ;) :D