PDA

View Full Version : Please help i think im looking for a crossover.

Rowleys
18-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Well basically i have a Behringer crossover rack mounted but i only use the low out put for my bottom speakers

is there like a chip board i can put in the back of the speaker box that i can wire up and will filter the sound??

i don;t 100% no what I'm talking about my self here

thanks

DJ INDIE
18-04-2009, 04:05 PM
An external crossover is a piece of kit that does the filtering for you.

You take the outputs from your mixer and go in to the crossover.

the crossover then splits the signal into high&mids and lows (depending on how you have it set).

you then go out 'high' to an amp - then to your 'tops' speakers.

and then out from 'low' to another amp - then to your 'bass' speakers.

the crossover does it all for you - but you can adjust to decide the levels at which high and low is defined.

MIXER--CROSSOVER---OUT HIGH-----AMP1------TOP SPEAKERS
..........................--- OUT LOW-----AMP2------BASS SPEAKERS

Rowleys
18-04-2009, 04:10 PM
yes sorry i no about all that .. i have An external crossover but for what i use it for someone told me a can get a internal one that are in the back of bass bin so it just filters low EG BASS

but i dont no what im looking for

can someone send me a ebay link

is this what im looking for ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subwoofer-Filters-Pair-Bass-X-over-600W-Hi-Fi-Disco_W0QQitemZ220394468892QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_A udioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?ha sh=item220394468892&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-04-2009, 04:56 PM
yes sorry i no about all that

Judging by the rest of your post, I don't think you do.

Go and read about cross overs and then you'll know what you're looking for.

Excalibur
18-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Dave, I think I can guess what you're doing. You're running your tops fullrange, and adding subs. Some folk prefer this. ;)
The short answer to your question is "yes". The easiest way to do this is lose the crossover, feed the tops as normal, and feed your subs into the filtered input, which will cut out the higher end.

I just know you're going to say that your subs actually aren't subs, but full range cabs. Two choices.
1) Buy dedicated subs, with the crossovers fitted, don't mess with turning tops into subs, bad idea. ;)
2) As you asked elsewhere, buy an active sub. You then have a filter for the tops which you may or may not use, as the mood takes you.

Rowleys
18-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Dave, I think I can guess what you're doing. You're running your tops fullrange, and adding subs. Some folk prefer this. ;)
The short answer to your question is "yes". The easiest way to do this is lose the crossover, feed the tops as normal, and feed your subs into the filtered input, which will cut out the higher end.

I just know you're going to say that your subs actually aren't subs, but full range cabs. Two choices.
1) Buy dedicated subs, with the crossovers fitted, don't mess with turning tops into subs, bad idea. ;)
2) As you asked elsewhere, buy an active sub. You then have a filter for the tops which you may or may not use, as the mood takes you.

Yes very true..

but funding is very low

so im just looking for a filter that will cut mid and high out

im gonna be getting subs soon just not right now :P

Jiggles
18-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Sell it all and start again :D

spin mobile disco
19-04-2009, 01:47 AM
1st question are your speakers active or passive?
If they are passive then you need an external crossover, the reason being that when the signal is filtered you need it sone before the signal enters the amplifier. If not then to much power is being wasted amplifying parts of the signal you don't want anyway.

If you are using active then an internal crossover can be installed if not already, to allow bandpass.

Or you could use a mixer that has a sub output already like the denon dn-500.

Rowleys
19-04-2009, 06:52 AM
so i should stick with my external crossover

so mixer to crosser low output to amp

thats how i got it running now

Corabar Steve
19-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Alternatively, get shot of your amps & get some with high/low pass filters built in. No need for crossover as it's in the amp.

djsteve10
19-04-2009, 10:01 AM
On one of my passive systems my subs have crossovers built in them, I basically go from the amp into the bass bin and then link the bass bin to the top into the link socket, This filters the sound for me without the need for an external crossover although they do actually sound alot better.

To be honest I think you should just save your time & money and get a pair of bass bins that have built in crossovers. Have a look at Class-D they are quite cheap.

Excalibur
19-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Or you could use a mixer that has a sub output already like the denon dn-500.
True, but with cost implications. ;) :(

so i should stick with my external crossover

so mixer to crosser low output to amp

thats how i got it running now
Keep on keeping on. Until you have funds to improve, don't mess. You're using the least worst option available to you at the moment, with the available kit. Active crossover will always beat passive.

Alternatively, get shot of your amps & get some with high/low pass filters built in. No need for crossover as it's in the amp.
Again true, but until the legendary Prosound bring one out, the cost factor probably rules this out.

Tom
19-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I would go for the Behringer DCX2496.

3 inputs and 6 outputs. Has a lot of features which I think would help you out. Just go on the Behringer website and download the manual and have a good read. :)

Excalibur
19-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Gordon Bennett, does nobody read what people post? :confused: :confused: :bang: :bang:
He's already got a :Censored: crossover. He's got no money to buy all the expensive toys you lot suggested.

As I said before, he's doing as well as he can with what he's got.

When he's got more money saved, he can ask you lot again what to buy. Give me strength. :( :( :(

Rowleys
19-04-2009, 04:39 PM
thanks Excalibur i think im gonna get some bass bins first

then

might get powered mixer or a actitve speaker

also this is the cross over i have all ready

Behringer CX3400

http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/media/quality,85/brand,sameday/cx3400_big-04054952cb541f4e63460ea68247f283.jpg

Tom
19-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Gordon Bennett, does nobody read what people post? :confused: :confused: :bang: :bang:
He's already got a :Censored: crossover. He's got no money to buy all the expensive toys you lot suggested.

As I said before, he's doing as well as he can with what he's got.

When he's got more money saved, he can ask you lot again what to buy. Give me strength. :( :( :(

My suggestion was that he don't bother with built in crossovers. One reason would be that they eat power from what I have read, so you would need to put more watts in to the same cab.

With my idea, you can feed any frequency you like in to any cab (providing it is within the cabs limits). So if the op is going to use a pair of full range speakers for subs, all he would need to do is find out how low his cab can go then dial this in to the DCX, then he is all set. Maby even add a little bit of EQ to boost some low end???

Rowleys
19-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Thats is what i have done now

but i was just woundering if i could get just a low filter with out have the big cross overs

Cj_The_Dj
19-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Thats is what i have done now

but i was just woundering if i could get just a low filter with out have the big cross overs

you can get internal crossovers. most bass bins have them built in, but i would just keep as you are for now, don't pay twice. maybe buy a second hand pair of peavey bass bins with crossovers built in when funds are right, they sound :Censored: good as well.

DeckstarDeluxe
19-04-2009, 08:37 PM
argeed with the most in here. Stick with it for time being but if you feel its the part of your service that needs improving the most then save up and make sure you buy something thats going to last rather than a "cheap fix"