PDA

View Full Version : Add bass / richness?

FerndownJason
20-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Hi all,

I have an amp with the following spec:
4Ω stereo: 2 x 500Wrms
8Ω stereo: 2 x 250Wrms
8Ω bridged: 1 x 800Wrms
Max power: 1600Wmax @ 8Ω
Frequency range: 20Hz - 20Khz
S/N ratio: >90dB
THD: >0.5% >0.1%

With a pair of speakers:
Impedance: 8Ω
Frequency Response: 50Hz - 18kHz
Sensitivity: 96dB (1w@1m)
Connector Type: 2 x Speakon
Programme Power: 500Wmax
Power Handling: 250Wrms

It is lacking base/richness.

Would it be helped if I added a subwoofer?
http://www.djstore.com/item/speakers_mobile/intintimidator.htm
or is it just the case that these are as good as they get?

Later on I want to get a better set of amp/speakers, but for now need to make do..... when I bought these Prosound items I was not expecting to do more than just basic events, but now in a change in circumstances looming, I am wanting/needing to do more professional (paid) gigs.

Thanks in advance :D

Cj_The_Dj
20-04-2009, 08:08 AM
You might be better off just waiting and then buy one pair of decent speakers, no subs would be required. maybe look at peavey (but make sure their blackwidow drivers).

hope this helps.

Excalibur
20-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Good heavens, so many options. ;) :D Firstly, I wouldn't suggest adding too much to your existing rig, as it's not the finest of the fine. ;) :( It always amazes people when I suggest this, but perhaps the best way forward for you is a powered sub. :eek:
Your amp is presumably the legendary Prosound, so we don't want to stress the poor little thing too much. :D
Adding a powered ( active) sub gives you more bass, and allows you to feed the filtered signal to your tops, allowing them to run a lot easier, since they don't have to do the hard work of the low frequency. Also, by using active, you can add one or two as the need/funding changes.
In my opinion, this is a better idea than loading your existing amp up with more work.

The best suggestion ( but as always the costliest) is to throw all your PA away, and go and buy a crossover, two amps, two subs and two tops. :eek: :eek: ( Or the active equivalent, if you fancy actives). Told you it was expensive. :( :( :(

First one I found, Penmare runs a pair of these, but as I said, you would only need one at first.
http://www.ukdj.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10754

Cj_The_Dj
20-04-2009, 08:49 AM
A guy is selling two peavey pv-1500 on www.sheffieldforum.com for £100.00.

One of these amps with the Peavey ul115 would be good. Nice bass with clear top/mid range.

This gives you a few options.

To be honest one pair of 15s should be enough for most venues. However, I would also recommend going active if the budget is there.

Tom is selling some active tops quite cheaply.

A1DL
20-04-2009, 09:07 AM
You might be better off just waiting and then buy one pair of decent speakers

agreed, you can't polish a turd.

no subs would be required

:confused: if the OP wants to add bass, subs would assist greatly!

maybe look at peavey

Out of the frying pan & into the fire :bang:

rob1963
20-04-2009, 09:19 AM
maybe look at peavey

Out of the frying pan & into the fire :bang:

That was clearly a misprint.

I think he MEANT to say maybe look at Mackie.

Bouncy Dancefloor
20-04-2009, 10:38 AM
the Peavey UL15's blow away SRM450's....ive done a side by side and there was no comparison for the depth and fullness of the sound

im talking about the latest UL15's which are redesigned, lightweight and sound better than the previous models

this is implied in the price, which is approx £800 for the speakers alone, then you need an amp, whereas you can get Mackies for less and thats powered!

Tom
20-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Tom is selling some active tops quite cheaply.

Yep. ;):D

the Peavey UL15's blow away SRM450's....ive done a side by side and there was no comparison for the depth and fullness of the sound

im talking about the latest UL15's which are redesigned, lightweight and sound better than the previous models

That would be because the Peavey UL's use a wooden cab where as the Mackie SRM450 uses a plastic, so the characteristics will be totally different.

As for speakers, if It was me I would buy better branded, second hand speakers. You can get some real treats on ebay these days. Just because it's second hand, that does not mean its going to be rubbish.

If the cab still uses the same original, or a replacement is close or has the same thiele/small (getting techinal, sorry), then you could get a better brand of speaker for less money, which could then give a better overall sound. :)

Also, if you ever need a more powerful amp, take a look at Matrix. Might not be a well known brand but lets say I know the designer has teamed up with Void Acoustics to design some great new powerful amps that are light weight.

I had a chat with the designer of Matrix amps, and he can build me a amp that has 1000 watts rms at 4ohm per channel, and the amp only weighs 12kg. :eek::D. Very good price as well I have to say. :)

FerndownJason
21-04-2009, 06:55 AM
So.... it seams that the options are a powered bass now (£390) which may help and give more range coverage.

And/or replace current sound with better quality equipment that probably means I would not need the above bass.

I think I should get a couple of gigs under my belt, and see how things go (ie not panic/rush), but make sound improvements a priority when funds allow.

Every time I ask a question on here I realise how little I know :o)

MANY THANKS for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated!

yourdj
21-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Not this again. :)

Get one of these. they are great!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/447330.jpg

yourdj
21-04-2009, 08:38 AM
I think I should get a couple of gigs under my belt, and see how things go (ie not panic/rush), but make sound improvements a priority when funds allow.

Good idea things are never as bad as you think. I made mistakes panic buying as i thought i must have this and that. most of this and that has now been sold and my set up is simplified down and optimised.

Excalibur
21-04-2009, 09:06 AM
So.... it seams that the options are a powered bass now (£390) which may help and give more range coverage.

And/or replace current sound with better quality equipment that probably means I would not need the above bass.
If however you did get an active sub of reasonable quality (and don't ask me to suggest one, cos I know nothing about actives) it could be incorporated into an upgraded rig, ie add another sub, and better tops, there you are one high class system, no redundant units. :D

Excellent thinking young man. Don't panic, listen to as many types as possible.

Every time I ask a question on here I realise how little I know :o)
Some days, we all do. ;) :D

MANY THANKS for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated!
That's alright. The invoice will arrive shortly. :D

ppentertainments
21-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Good idea things are never as bad as you think. I made mistakes panic buying as i thought i must have this and that. most of this and that has now been sold and my set up is simplified down and optimised.

That advise is worth it's weight in gold.

Take your time and go and listen to various speakers before taking the plunge. What one person reccomends my not be to your liking, similarly others may not like speaker which you think is fine.

Ultimately though, think about what the customer wants and your budget. Is spending £000's on new equipment going to please the customer or just yourself.