PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Speaker Stands

SilverlineDiscos
20-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi guys,

Currently after a set of speaker stands with a tube diameter 35mm - 38mm. Ideally would like a carry bag but not essential. Looking for a cheap but reliable set and I'm not too fussed if they have a couple of scratches as I can always invest in a can of black spray paint :D

Cheers,
Adam

Jiggles
20-04-2009, 09:59 PM
I have these. http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR219073 Mines are over 3 years old and are still sturdy like they were new! My Mackies when there on the top of them are about 6' off the ground so a nice hight.

SilverlineDiscos
21-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Hi Callum,

Thanks for the link however a little more than I want to spend on a brand new pair or are you selling the ones you have?

Might have gotten a bit confused!

Anyway else have any stands they don't use anymore??

Thanks Adam

Jiggles
21-04-2009, 07:00 AM
I thought those were cheap. :shrug:

SilverlineDiscos
21-04-2009, 07:57 AM
I just found these (http://www.djstore.com/item/kamsps1.htm). Good price and made by Kam. I know Kam isn't all that great, but they're alright :)

dmckaraoke
21-04-2009, 08:01 AM
As the saying goes buy cheap buy twice...

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the link however a little more than I want to spend on a brand new pair

£59.99 and Callum has said that he's had his for 3 years without problems.

I just found these (http://www.djstore.com/item/kamsps1.htm). Good price and made by Kam. I know Kam isn't all that great, but they're alright :)

So you want to save a whole £20 on a pair of stands that might not last very long and are an unknown quantity?

I despair sometimes...

SilverlineDiscos
21-04-2009, 08:10 AM
£59.99 and Callum has said that he's had his for 3 years without problems.

So you want to save a whole £20 on a pair of stands that might not last very long and are an unknown quantity?

I despair sometimes...

Just stating what I found :)

I know the saying is correct, spend more money and you will of course get better quality. However, no need to beat me down over this one :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Just stating what I found :)

I know the saying is correct, spend more money and you will of course get better quality. However, no need to beat me down over this one :(

I'm not 'beating you down' at all. Where did that come from?

I am pointing out that you are saving £20 on a pair of stands that might not last very long, when you have a recommendation for a pair of stands that have lasted over 3 years.

SilverlineDiscos
21-04-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm not 'beating you down' at all. Where did that come from?

I am pointing out that you are saving £20 on a pair of stands that might not last very long, when you have a recommendation for a pair of stands that have lasted over 3 years.

Are you are right on that one :)

Anyway, I need a set for my speakers as well as a set of top hats. The speakers I currently have have no prodrilled top hats so got to fit some :D

So would you recommend the Giraff stands then?

DeckstarDeluxe
21-04-2009, 08:37 PM
put it this way. Cheap speaker stand breaks with speaker on it? How much does that cost you? Its not an area I would "cheap out" on

SilverlineDiscos
21-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Very true Deskstar, a good point indeed. I was considering a pair on the bay, but I'm not sure how strong they really are. It's very hard to tell but then again that's eBay for you :)

What would be a couple of good brands apart from Giraffe?

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-04-2009, 08:47 PM
If you want them to last years and years, then Powerdrive.

If you want lightweight and strong, unless a very fat woman comes steaming into them, then Proel.

A1DL
21-04-2009, 08:52 PM
If you want lightweight and strong, unless a very fat woman comes steaming into them, then Proel.

that's very sexist....

..... quality though :Laugh:

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-04-2009, 08:59 PM
that's very sexist....

..... quality though :Laugh:

Based on 2 lots of real life experiences unfortunately. :(

A1DL
21-04-2009, 09:05 PM

Frequenting BBW clubs does tend to increase the chances of this happening though. :p :cool:

Excalibur
21-04-2009, 09:05 PM

YouTube - Joe Tex - Aint Gonna Bump No More [totp2]

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

A1DL
21-04-2009, 09:10 PM
http://www.popandpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/fatfighters1710_468x386.jpg

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Veering off topic slightly here guys...

Speaker stands then. Any more suggestions?

SilverlineDiscos
21-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi guys, what's Rhino like?

Found these: http://www.decks.co.uk/products/Rhino/stan01

Any thoughts?

DeckstarDeluxe
21-04-2009, 10:35 PM
max load says its 25kg.

Depends how heavy your speakers are but does seem abit "cheap" at first glance.

Excalibur
21-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Veering off topic slightly here guys...
Speaker stands then. Any more suggestions?
Simply giving examples of what you posted earlier, Sir. ;) :D

Hi guys, what's Rhino like?

Found these: http://www.decks.co.uk/products/Rhino/stan01

Any thoughts?

According to the weight capacity, crap. ;)

SilverlineDiscos
21-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Simply giving examples of what you posted earlier, Sir. ;) :D

According to the weight capacity, crap. ;)

Actually having a good look around I like the look of these. They can hold up to 40kg which I think is more than enough.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/Rhino/stan25

I also had a look on eBay for some hats, thought these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPEAKER-MOUNTING-METAL-TOP-HAT-35mm-DJ-DISCO_W0QQitemZ140315729059QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C onElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL?hash=item140315729059&) would fit the bill just fine :)

Anyone had Rhino stands in the past, what are they like??

Sorry for being such a pain, got to get this right though :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Rhino are made by Prolight I believe and are fairly new to the market, but I've not used them.

kjdiscos
22-04-2009, 09:49 AM
one thing about rhino the stands are hand painted !

A1DL
22-04-2009, 10:00 AM
one thing about rhino the stands are hand painted !

does that make them stronger/safer, Jake?

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-04-2009, 10:17 AM
does that make them stronger/safer, Jake?

If they are painted with concrete, perhaps :sj:

kjdiscos
22-04-2009, 10:27 AM
They have cut corners on production to get them cheaper, I know the paint finish is not great and it comes of due to the hand painting,

Never used them myself, Always trusted giraffe myself, Just a shame giraffe going to stop making deck stands :( also

A1DL
22-04-2009, 10:45 AM
They have cut corners on production to get them cheaper, I know the paint finish is not great and it comes of due to the hand painting

I would have thought hand painting would result in increased production costs, over any machine process which would take a fraction of the time.

Doesn't sound quite right to me, Jake. How sure of your facts are you?

kjdiscos
22-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I would have thought hand painting would result in increased production costs, over any machine process which would take a fraction of the time.

Doesn't sound quite right to me, Jake. How sure of your facts are you?

Very sure of it :), However we will have to agree to disagree i have no intrest in an argument

Most stands would be powder coated in production, Which is more expensive then the quick hand painted alternative, And i dont mean a proper hand painted finish to high standard, I mean just slapped on you can tell the quality difference instantly between a rhino bit of kit and giraffe,

Willing to do photos if you want

SilverlineDiscos
22-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I won't be buying Rhino then. Pictures woudl be appreciated of course though :)

Any one have any other links for stands?? Something around the £60 for a pair would be great.

Many thanks,
Adam

kjdiscos
22-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I won't be buying Rhino then. Pictures woudl be appreciated of course though :)

Any one have any other links for stands?? Something around the £60 for a pair would be great.

Many thanks,
Adam

I personaly cant fault giraffe for speaker stands

Bouncy Dancefloor
22-04-2009, 09:03 PM
i cant believe this thread is on Page 4, the stands to buy were on Page 1

Excalibur
22-04-2009, 09:12 PM

Snap. ;)

SilverlineDiscos
23-04-2009, 08:18 AM

Page four? I only have two pages :confused:.

I just want to find out what people receommend to be honest. Where is the harm in that? :)

SilverlineDiscos
30-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd say that I've purchased a set of stands and top hats from decks.co.uk.

A quick question though, and mods please split topic if its not in the right place - I'm going to have to drill some holes in the bottom of my cabs. Problem is, do I drill them right in the centre or to near the front or back.

I thought about it, and came the conclusion that the magnet in the bass driver is probably what makes the unit so heavy and of course sits in the middle of the cab. So my guess is - drill the hole for the tophat in the centre.

Would someone with this kind of knowledge please post their thoughts?

Many thanks,
Adam

Cj_The_Dj
30-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd say that I've purchased a set of stands and top hats from decks.co.uk.

A quick question though, and mods please split topic if its not in the right place - I'm going to have to drill some holes in the bottom of my cabs. Problem is, do I drill them right in the centre or to near the front or back.

I thought about it, and came the conclusion that the magnet in the bass driver is probably what makes the unit so heavy and of course sits in the middle of the cab. So my guess is - drill the hole for the tophat in the centre.

Would someone with this kind of knowledge please post their thoughts?

Many thanks,
Adam

I would say the top hat would have to be central. all speaker cabs Ive seen with top hats have them centered.

SilverlineDiscos
30-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Well that's what I thought but I wasn't sure if there was a rule of thumb or something silly. I want to get it right so the tripods don't fall top heavy.

Can anyone else give their opinion?

Cheers,
Adam

kjdiscos
30-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Centre, Some abs cabs are more towards the rear, But wooden are 99% centre and id bolt them i.e take the driver out so you can get inside and put some nuts on and tighten with a socket set

SilverlineDiscos
30-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Centre, Some abs cabs are more towards the rear, But wooden are 99% centre and id bolt them i.e take the driver out so you can get inside and put some nuts on and tighten with a socket set

Yes the cabs I have are wooden and I have bought some screws to fit the top hats. Would bolts definitely be better?

Cj_The_Dj
30-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes the cabs I have are wooden and I have bought some screws to fit the top hats. Would bolts definitely be better?

depends if your top hat is internall or extrnall

SilverlineDiscos
30-04-2009, 10:17 AM
depends if your top hat is internall or extrnall

The top hats are internal. I will have to drill holes in the wood in order to accommodate the hats :)

So my question still 'stands' :p

Cj_The_Dj
30-04-2009, 10:22 AM
on my cabs they just have big scews so that wouold be enough. i wouldnt drill holes for the screws.

SilverlineDiscos
30-04-2009, 10:31 AM
on my cabs they just have big scews so that wouold be enough. i wouldnt drill holes for the screws.

Hehe I think you missunderstood what I meant :D

I will be drilling holes for the tophats to sit in. The hole will be just big enough for the speaker stand pole to sit inside the tophat. I won't be drilling holes for the screws, even I know that one :p

So screws should be enough to take the weight then? As long as I drill in the middle-bottom of the cab, then I should be ok?

kjdiscos
30-04-2009, 10:51 AM

I would bolt them mate, Get them nice and tight, You can buy bolts very cheaply from b and q in packs of 8 or so, Probs cost you 2 quid or so, Not sure what your weight of cabs are but in region of 20kg ?

Ahh confusion, You have brought actual top hats, as opposed to top hate plates, In that case if your drilling with a hole saw for them to drop in, Then screws would be ok, I thought you'd brought those plates

SilverlineDiscos
30-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I would bolt them mate, Get them nice and tight, You can buy bolts very cheaply from b and q in packs of 8 or so, Probs cost you 2 quid or so, Not sure what your weight of cabs are but in region of 20kg ?

Ahh confusion, You have brought actual top hats, as opposed to top hate plates, In that case if your drilling with a hole saw for them to drop in, Then screws would be ok, I thought you'd brought those plates

Sorry perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough - I'm good at confusing people :p

Yup actually bought proper top hats and not the plates. I don't like the plates very much, bit of a hassle lol.

I have a set of hole saws and a drill, will be drilling them tomorrow so thought I'd ask for a bit of advice here first. I have some screws, but had to kind of guess the sizes because I'm waiting for the stands and hats to arive. Can pick some more up though from the DIY shop if they are the wrong size.

Will be posting some pictures when they're done also. I'll set them up in the garden and take a couple of pics. I'm hoping the weather will be good tomorrow so I can do it outside.

Anyway, many thanks for your help both of you. You've reassured me about my little problem :D

Bouncy Dancefloor
30-04-2009, 01:50 PM
im shocked that your speakers dont already have top hats in them

back in the day (before all speakers had them) most of them had two pieces of wood at the bottom, with a hole in one of them. Basically the hole was already there, just needed tapping through with a hammer