PDA

View Full Version : IEC lead Advice

Dance FX
21-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Is it ok to run a mad spin, mad scan and power flower from one three head IEC lead?

I cant find a lead that has a three pin plug on the other end so am going to have to connect the split lead to the original iec/mains plug also.

Safe?? or not??

Sarah

discomobiledj
21-04-2009, 03:04 PM
You'll have to get it PAT tested and make sure that the amp going into the plug won't blow the fuse from all three lights.

Vectis
21-04-2009, 03:25 PM
You need to add up the current each light uses (Amps), then allow a little overhead in case you switch them all on at once. Most pre-made IEC cables are 6A or 10A capable and most lighting fixtures if they use 250W lamps are around the 1.2A mark. LED effects use hardly anything.

I'm not familiar with the lights you mention but a quick check on the rear panel or in the manual will give you a rating. Failing that, look at the fuse that's installed in the light and use that value instead.

So a 250W + a 250W + a 500W effect would possibly tot up to 4.8A which would be fine on a 6A cable. 3 x 250W would be well within limits but 2x500W and a 250W would be pushing it.

Excalibur
21-04-2009, 04:44 PM
You need to add up the current each light uses (Amps), then allow a little overhead in case you switch them all on at once. Most pre-made IEC cables are 6A or 10A capable and most lighting fixtures if they use 250W lamps are around the 1.2A mark. LED effects use hardly anything.

I'm not familiar with the lights you mention but a quick check on the rear panel or in the manual will give you a rating. Failing that, look at the fuse that's installed in the light and use that value instead.

So a 250W + a 250W + a 500W effect would possibly tot up to 4.8A which would be fine on a 6A cable. 3 x 250W would be well within limits but 2x500W and a 250W would be pushing it.

Vectis, you're only half right I reckon. There is also power required for the rest of the gubbins in the fixture, so you may be over two amps per fixture. ( I said may. ;) ) If that were the case, you'd be on the limits of a 6A cable.

Sara, I wouldn't do it the way you suggest. I'd prefer say a 4way cable, with three 13A-IEC cables from it.
Or a similar item with IEC sockets, so you can use IEC-IEC cables. I can't find the one I wanted to link to, but I'm sure someone will.
I'm not saying your way is wrong, just that sometimes I like to spread my risk. ;)

Cj_The_Dj
22-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I would say Use a couple of these http://www.mjlstagelighting.co.uk/images/catalog/IEC_LEAD_5m.JPG
with a normal kettle lead and then in to a 4way extension

that what i do

Dance FX
22-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks for your replys.

Cj, That's what we are using at the moment, single leads into a switch box.

I was going to get the three way leads to cut down on all the wires and we don't need the switch box now as the lights have a controller with them :)

Its great to be able to change colour, slow down, speed up and black out :) :)

I spoke to the guy at Dj kit and he said the three way leads will be fine as they are 10amp.

Sarah