PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still buy vinyl?

26-04-2009, 05:05 PM
The reason i ask is that i have a shed load, sorry shed full of records that i want to sell.

Have no idea what would be a fair amount to ask for between 1000 - 1500 (may even be 2000) records, many DJ promos and dance classics from 1995 - 2004, all used (some more than others), but i believe all of them are in a playable condition.

Would i get more if i cataloged them all?

Any guidance / hits greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Alan.

BeerFunk
26-04-2009, 05:12 PM
The vast majority of vinyl is only fit for the plastics skip at your local recycling centre :)

It's difficult to be specific, but the most valuable records obviously tend to be the releases (or editions) which were printed in limited amounts.

DeckstarDeluxe
26-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I would put them on ebay prehaps in small lots rather than big collection to get the most for them.

Tony Scott
26-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I buy vinyl but only dance stuff.....Dubstep, Trance, House etc.

'Hard To Find Records' would be my first port of call, better to cataloge them IMO. :)

DeckstarDeluxe
26-04-2009, 07:28 PM
The vast majority of vinyl is only fit for the plastics skip at your local recycling centre :)

It's difficult to be specific, but the most valuable records obviously tend to be the releases (or editions) which were printed in limited amounts.

Thats only the case if you have always brought someone elses junk rather than buying very good records.

BeerFunk
26-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Thats only the case if you have always brought someone elses junk rather than buying very good records.Well obviously that wouldn't help, but even if you had a good collection of quality records, you'll get no way near what ou paid for them if you sell them.

A quick example - there have been 11 copies of 'David Morales - Needin' U' (various releases) listed on ebay over the last couple of weeks. Only two have sold, at 99p each, and that is a classic track by anyones standards! :beer1:

CRAZY K
26-04-2009, 08:07 PM
The reason i ask is that i have a shed load, sorry shed full of records that i want to sell.

Have no idea what would be a fair amount to ask for between 1000 - 1500 (may even be 2000) records, many DJ promos and dance classics from 1995 - 2004, all used (some more than others), but i believe all of them are in a playable condition.

Cheers
Alan.

Unless you want silly offers you would have to.

Its difficult if your buying to know if they have any scratches on them if theres a large number.

I only mention this as I was testing some Strict Tempo music I transferred from vinyl years ago--- I could definitely hear some scratches:eek:

Treble cut is the only answer or maybe a scratch removal program--but they just seem to errr cut the treble;)

Thats why the prices are likely to be pretty low I would think.

I would try trawling the net for sources---I notice the first site I tried want only music from 1958 to 1978:eek:

Theres obviously a reason for that--:confused:

My son did mention he has some music on vinyl from that period which was valuable--so maybe you nwill need to do some in depth research?

CRAZY K

DeckstarDeluxe
26-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Well obviously that wouldn't help, but even if you had a good collection of quality records, you'll get no way near what ou paid for them if you sell them.

A quick example - there have been 11 copies of 'David Morales - Needin' U' (various releases) listed on ebay over the last couple of weeks. Only two have sold, at 99p each, and that is a classic track by anyones standards! :beer1:

Two reasons my friend

Firstly, anybody whos anybody would have that record even if they werent into house music because of its mainstream success which also means....

Secondly that because of so many being made with various mixes there is x amount of copies combined with falling numbers of vinyl djs.

CRAZY K
26-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Two reasons my friend

Firstly, anybody whos anybody would have that record even if they werent into house music because of its mainstream success which also means....

Secondly that because of so many being made with various mixes there is x amount of copies combined with falling numbers of vinyl djs.

Its supply and demand--simple.

CRAZY K

BeerFunk
26-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Two reasons my friend

Secondly that because of so many being made with various mixes there is x amount of copies combined with falling numbers of vinyl djs.I agree, as that's what I said originally. It's not so much the quality of your collection, but the rarity of each print. Which you obviously didn't entirely agree with, going on your previous comment :

Thats only the case if you have always brought someone elses junk rather than buying very good records.

DeckstarDeluxe
26-04-2009, 09:39 PM
I agree, as that's what I said originally. It's not so much the quality of your collection, but the rarity of each print. Which you obviously didn't entirely agree with, going on your previous comment :

That was in regards to it only being fit for a skip rather than its value.

rob1963
26-04-2009, 11:25 PM

Cheers
Alan.

Don't expect to get a lot for them, Alan.

I sold all my vinyl to a second hand record dealer about 10 years ago.

If I remember rightly, he gave me about £150 for 1,500 singles, so only about 10p per copy. I also included the cases they were in.

He did say I'd have got more if they'd been in their original sleeves, but all mine were in white cardboard covers.

I was just pleased to get rid of them to gain some space at home, so I was happy with the £150.

I'm not sure how much has changed in the last 10 years, but I'd suggest you locate & contact a local second hand record dealer.

Adam_F
27-04-2009, 11:41 AM
'Hard To Find Records' would be my first port of call, better to cataloge them IMO. :)

There's a "we want to buy section" on the website, that's what we're looking for, and the prices we'll pay.

If I remember rightly, he gave me about £150 for 1,500 singles, so only about 10p per copy.

That's now about 5p (max) a copy for stuff we don't really want, we just through it into starter packages of 10, 20, 50, 100 & 200 bundle packages!

27-04-2009, 12:27 PM
thanks Adam, i'll have a look at this tonight.

Cheers
Alan.