PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver cs3 help

James
30-04-2009, 04:07 PM
"afternoon councilors" (re: cape fear)

i have abit of a problem with text and images in dreamweaver (i also have a whole host of other problems with it, but i've gotta walk before i can run)

when i inset a picture into a html document i can't figure out how to move it to where i want it to sit on the page.

the same with text as well, i can't figure out how to put text where i want it to go, you can't drag and drop it anywhere, or can you?

could anyone point me in the direction of a good website for someone with limited html & dreamweaver knowledge to learn from

i need to start from the very beginning i think, hopefuly they'll explain it, or any forums where you'd get the best advice, basivcaly like this one, but for dreamweaver.

cheers

Jiggles
30-04-2009, 04:17 PM
take a look at W3 Schools HTML and CSS.

OllieJames
30-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi,

In dreamweaver the best way, well the easiest way without getting into PHP, CSS, blah blah or CMS is to use 'tables'. This will enable you to put the text & images where you want. However, this is limited as you can't just 'drop' the text and images exactly where you want. To do that you need to use 'layers' which are in DW CS3. These are like a text box but you can put anything in them. However, the downside to these is that they move according to the screen reso. and when you make your browser page smaller, they move about...

Jiggles
30-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Learning to use CSS and DIV tags is best. Not going on to tables as they are poor IMO.

OllieJames
30-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Learning to use CSS and DIV tags is best. Not going on to tables as they are poor IMO.

Seeing as DIV tags didn't work properly in I.E 6, I don't use them.

yourdj
30-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi,

In dreamweaver the best way, well the easiest way without getting into PHP, CSS, blah blah or CMS is to use 'tables'. This will enable you to put the text & images where you want. However, this is limited as you can't just 'drop' the text and images exactly where you want. To do that you need to use 'layers' which are in DW CS3. These are like a text box but you can put anything in them. However, the downside to these is that they move according to the screen reso. and when you make your browser page smaller, they move about...

Im with you! Im a graphic designer and i find it hard! Just finished my first site. The best thing is to do the tables. size them by typing it in as they will not all be the same.

Jiggles
30-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Seeing as DIV tags didn't work properly in I.E 6, I don't use them.

Out school still used IE6 and all my sites work fine. They all use DIV tags.

OllieJames
30-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Out school still used IE6 and all my sites work fine. They all use DIV tags.

My old site was coded by a professional web design team and IE6 had trouble with it and it was DIVs & CSS.

Anyway, the EASIEST way is tables.

James
01-05-2009, 07:31 AM
cheers chaps, so the general advice is if i want to insert text & images in certain positions on the page, i'll have to learn about tables, then insert the text 7 images into the tables?

womble
01-05-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm with Callum. Tables are easier to do, but I've had issues with different resolutions, etc. CSS & Div's would be better, I personally haven't noticed any issues in IE using divs and they're not that difficult to get your head around.

Dreamweaver CS3 for dummies is worth having, often pops up cheap on that there ebay.

SilverlineDiscos
01-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Well I use tables as my main 'framework'. I have come to a stage where I can design fluid websites that will work on most resolutions and the tables will stretch to accommodate the width.

For example, take a look at this (http://boatlineuk.com/) website. I designed it using tables and CSS. Was a bit of a pain getting things working and sitting correctly, but after a while I managed to make it work how I wanted it too. The site works best in both IE and Firefox.

So really, use whatever you find best but to start with, as others have mentioned, stick with tables for now until you learn more complex ways of doing things :)

I use dreamweaver so if you need any help James let me know! :)

Adam