PDA

View Full Version : New possible payment method

jamesh
09-05-2009, 01:49 AM
So we've had topics on here in the past about taking payment online via our websites, accepting credit/debit cards by phone, paypal, worldpay, google checkout etc... But what about giving your clients the chance to pay at any post office or paypoint (most news agents have them now for paying gas/electric and water as wel as topping up your mobile) across the UK??

Basically when a client agrees to book you they can print off the order form with a barcode (and code under it) and then take it to any paypoint or post office and pay cash or use their debit card to pay for it. The system then works like paypal, google checkout and the rest of them and it would tell you, you have a payment and then gives you the option to send it to your bank account for a small fee.

I found out about it as i was updating a website for someone and came across it when they wanted various online payment methods and asked me to looking into it... I'm now thinking it might be a good idea for taking booking payments for my own website too.

More info about how it works can be found here http://www.djequipmentsupplies.com/cart/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=6 or the payoffline website (http://www.payoffline.com) here

So what do people think? Good or bad idea? Fors and againsts...

CRAZY K
09-05-2009, 07:14 AM
So we've had topics on here in the past about taking payment online via our websites, accepting credit/debit cards by phone, paypal, worldpay, google checkout etc... But what about giving your clients the chance to pay at any post office or paypoint (most news agents have them now for paying gas/electric and water as wel as topping up your mobile) across the UK??

Basically when a client agrees to book you they can print off the order form with a barcode (and code under it) and then take it to any paypoint or post office and pay cash or use their debit card to pay for it. The system then works like paypal, google checkout and the rest of them and it would tell you, you have a payment and then gives you the option to send it to your bank account for a small fee.

I found out about it as i was updating a website for someone and came across it when they wanted various online payment methods and asked me to looking into it... I'm now thinking it might be a good idea for taking booking payments for my own website too.

More info about how it works can be found here http://www.djequipmentsupplies.com/cart/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=6 or the payoffline website (http://www.payoffline.com) here

So what do people think? Good or bad idea? Fors and againsts...

If your working a lot in the Corporate Market and upmarket Disco area I cant see it--those kind of people dont want to be arsed surely?

If your in the pub, club and cheap end of the market--yes I can see it.

It costs nothing so thats a plus.

To me it has a downmarket feel for people who cant get credit or debit cards or hold bank accounts:eek:

Looking at your shiny, upmarket, professional image Website I think it would be out of place.

On the other hand---if your working at the British Legion all the time;)

Just my view:D

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-05-2009, 09:52 AM
People might as well just use BACS surely?

CRAZY K
09-05-2009, 12:36 PM
People might as well just use BACS surely?

I assume this is mainly for people who dont have Credit Cards, Debit Cards or Bank Accounts--possibly a bad payment risk profile?

I suppose people who do have a Bank Account with a debit card but are not into Internet Banking can use it---hence the Offline advert:D

We dont tend to deal with people much unless they are Computer/ Internet savvy--as they cant afford our services;) and most get us FROM the Internet.

Setting up Internet Banking is SO simple, providing you have access to a PC.

As I said I think its for downmarket business---which is fine if thats where you work--I didnt think James was in that area:confused:

CRAZY K

DeckstarDeluxe
09-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah I cant see myself using this method of payment.

Vectis
09-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I think the phrase people are looking for is 'Pikey' :p

Thanks for posting, but it's not for me.

jamesh
09-05-2009, 02:20 PM
What me... not deal with down market business???? :D if they pay my quote prices they get the service... No matter who, what, where or when ;)

Mind you looking at it i have to agree it probably wouldn't appeal to the more corporate end of the market - although for businesses that use the post office a lot it could help them kill two birds with one stone but i can't see there being a massive uptake in it for commercial use unless you are running an online shop or similar.

I just thought it was quite a good new interesting idea that i'd not come across before.

I think the phrase people are looking for is 'Pikey' :p

Thanks for posting, but it's not for me.

i didn't know i was piching to dragons den :P:D

But yeah i can see the pikeyness aspect to it... I don't personally use it and only came across it yesterday so thought i'd see what people thought.

DeckstarDeluxe
09-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Dont take it the wrong way James its good you brought this to peoples attention but I just dont think it gives off the right impression thats all for MY company but may be to the tastes of others

JDB Entertainment
09-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Using a post office why not just send a postal cheque/order?

I have clients in the past do this!

CRAZY K
10-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Using a post office why not just send a postal cheque/order?

I have clients in the past do this!

Ouch!

Thats an expensive way of paying :eek: especially on a Disco fee of maybe £300 or more.

This would be cheaper as long as there arent any HIDDEN charges;)

CRAZY K

A1DL
10-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I can't see the point. If the client has not got a bank account or credit/debt card, they can still pay cash over the counter at a UK clearing bank.

rob1963
11-05-2009, 04:12 PM
I can't see the point. If the client has not got a bank account or credit/debt card, they can still pay cash over the counter at a UK clearing bank.

Agreed...or in my case cash on the night (as allowed under my terms & conditions).

Simple!

:D

CRAZY K
11-05-2009, 05:49 PM

Isnt there a charge for that Tony unless you go into the same Bank as the Disco company use.

Not as convenient as this new idea.

Not that my clients could be bothered;)

I just paid cash for an air ticket and my bank Barclays said if I hadnt been paying into another Barclays Account ( Air China) then it was £20:eek:

CRAZY K

rob1963
11-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Isnt there a charge for that Tony unless you go into the same Bank as the Disco company use.

Yes, Crazy.

At least there was during MY time in the bank.

DazzyD
16-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm surprised by some of the attitudes on here. A lot of people, especially older ones, don't want credit cards or to be paying over the internet. Why should they be alienated from the services we provide?

Some have mentioned the Post Office but this method of payment is also accepted at every PayZone in the country. I'm often stuck behind people in the local shop when they are paying their electric, gas, phone bill, tv licence etc. using this very method payment. With this method, customers can pay your invoice when they pick up their daily paper, loaf of bread or pint of milk. If that isn't convenient then I don't know what is.