PDA

View Full Version : best way to get bass

markdj60
14-05-2009, 03:55 PM
hi can someone tell me the best way to get low range out of my speakers without buying some subs,im using 2 skytec 15" for the tops and 2 15" class d for my bass would an active crossover make me get the right bass out of them as i am using an old system controller for them at the moment which has got a sub out on it.

kjdiscos
14-05-2009, 04:06 PM
If you want a cheap way to do it, Rip the crossover out the skytecs, Run them via the sub out and another amp,

Will sound ok, But dont expact major resulsts, Idealy get a pair of bins, But is usable until funds prevail to enable purchase of bins

spin mobile disco
14-05-2009, 06:05 PM
You may find the skytecs do not have an internal crossover as they use piezo widehorns rather than compression drivers. In which case all they may have is a resister for protection of the top end.
Dropping the mid range and keeping the bass and top end up high will give a clearer sound most of the time with the bass sounding lower but of course it is still dependant on your speakers being able to reproduce the sound.

A speaker managment system may help I know a few people on the forum use them for this. Or a bit of time with a decent 30 band graphic equiliser will help a lot.

Other tips for bass, speakers in corners sound bassier than usual. Bass is better on the floor than on stands. Also a dedicated sub like the sub -15 by DB can augment your system amazingly for not to much outlay. (seen one for £300 second hand recently)

markdj60
14-05-2009, 07:15 PM
i use a behringer graphic for the tops and a system controller with a sub out for the bass but it seems to destort a bit when i turn it up so im guessing the speakers are not up for it,thats why i need to no if an active crossover would be better for the bass and drop the bass lower so it sounds less destorted.

spin mobile disco
14-05-2009, 07:34 PM
If bass is distorting you are most likely clipping it, either that or the signal is being degraded somewhere else in the system.
You may find the spl of your speakers is rather low so it will struggle to get low bass with the applied power. The only way to fix this if this is the case is to buy speakers with a higher spl. Or get a more powerful amp if your current one is not able to provide the required power to your speakers.

markdj60
14-05-2009, 07:51 PM
im using a skytec 1000w amp just for the bass speakers, it isnt clipping at all they sound ok when its at a lower volume but obviously the more people come in the louder you have to go which is when it starts sounding pants i just need it louder and more punchier.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2009, 07:56 PM
im using a skytec 1000w amp just for the bass speakers, it isnt clipping at all they sound ok when its at a lower volume but obviously the more people come in the louder you have to go which is when it starts sounding pants i just need it louder and more punchier.

What's the make and model of the amp?

Excalibur
14-05-2009, 08:01 PM

What's the make and model of the amp?

I'd guess it's a Skytec 1000. ;) :D :D
http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=86&cat=40
Must be good, it's PRO gear.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd guess it's a Skytec 1000. ;) :D :D

I'll ignore that...

If it's this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skytec-DJ-Disco-Karaoke-PA-1000W-Power-Amp-Amplifier_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQimsfpZTL0904291210001r 4969QQimsxZ20090429QQitemZ370194371731QQsalenotsup ported) then you are only getting 250w per channel at 8 ohms and probably not even that with that particular amp.

What are the Class Ds rated at?

Excalibur
14-05-2009, 08:14 PM
I'll ignore that...

If it's this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skytec-DJ-Disco-Karaoke-PA-1000W-Power-Amp-Amplifier_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQimsfpZTL0904291210001r 4969QQimsxZ20090429QQitemZ370194371731QQsalenotsup ported) then you are only getting 250w per channel at 8 ohms and probably not even that with that particular amp.

What are the Class Ds rated at?

Oh no he's not! :p :p :p It says 250w at 4ohms. ;) :D :D Even less at 8, obviously.

Who's going to suggest an active sub?

markdj60
14-05-2009, 08:17 PM
yeah it is the one you stated but silver and not black

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Oh no he's not! :p :p :p It says 250w at 4ohms. ;) :D :D Even less at 8, obviously.

Yes, my mistake, but that was why I was trying to establish the model as I thought it sounded like the Class Ds were being underpowered.

Daryll
14-05-2009, 08:18 PM
If they are the Class D cd15`s they are rated at 350w RMS
The CD15 N`s are rated the same.

Daryll

markdj60
14-05-2009, 08:19 PM

Who's going to suggest an active sub?

no its not that amp

markdj60
14-05-2009, 08:20 PM
If they are the Class D cd15`s they are rated at 350w RMS
The CD15 N`s are rated the same.

Daryll

yeah they are the ones

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2009, 08:22 PM
yeah it is the one you stated but silver and not black

no its not that amp

Not being rude, but can you please post the model number of the amp then we can make some suggestions.

This is getting way too confusing...

Excalibur
14-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Not being rude, but can you please post the model number of the amp then we can make some suggestions.

This is getting way too confusing...

And the cabs. You've just said they're subs, according to the model numbers. :confused:

markdj60
14-05-2009, 08:54 PM
sorry there cd 158 and the amp is a skytec pro 1000w.

markdj60
14-05-2009, 08:59 PM
so without buying new subs whats the best way of turning my full range speakers into bass bins?

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-05-2009, 09:02 PM
You need a bigger amp to get the best out of your speakers.

markdj60
14-05-2009, 09:07 PM
what wattage would you say go for then? what about an active crossover for my full range speakers then?

Tom
14-05-2009, 09:59 PM
This thing with audio at gigs is, the more people who are on the dance floor, the more the sound is absorbed. This means the overall SPL is reduced.

What you really need are better amps and speakers.

Class-D speakers are not very efficient to begin with anyway, so they are never going to be loud enough unless you buy more of them. They use cheap chineese drivers which are not all that great, hence the poor max SPL.

As for the amp, If you can change this. Take a look at this amp. It may look cheap and tacky, but I can tell you that these amps do rock. They are hand made in the UK by one man (as far as I know). He has even teamed up with Void Acoustics to put some input in to a new line of of Void amp. See where I am going with this? lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MATRIX-UKP1300-AMPLIFIER-MADE-IN-UK-BRAND-NEW-AMP_W0QQitemZ160314182255QQihZ006QQcategoryZ68247Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

A better amp will send a better signal to the speakers, which will then should give out a better sound. Try not to skimp on amplification as cheap amps which contain cheap components will only fail quicker or not deliver the power you need.

Excalibur
15-05-2009, 12:10 PM
You need a bigger amp to get the best out of your speakers.
Indeed yes.
Note to Darren: Never doubt the wisdom of the elderly, Grasshopper. ;) ;) I belkiueve the lad is in fact using the very amp I suggested. You brushed aside my earnest and sagacious post, even though it was entirely accurate. My feelings are very hurt. :( :(

To young Mark: Full range cabs and subs are very different animals. Simply disconnecting the tweeters doesn't make full range into subs. Knowing the volumes of the respective cabs, I'd doubt if you could get the bass you want out of the 158's. We've had a dig at each other in thgis post, ( sorry Darren. :o :o :D :D )but in all seriousness, two points are inescapable.
1) You need dedicated subs. Converted full range just won't hack it.
2) You need an amp to drive them, probably a true 1000w RMS at 8ohms model.

We can give you all the help possible, but you won't achieve the desired effect without doing something like that. At the moment, all you'rer doing is thrashing an underpowered amp. Sorry.

Daryll
15-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Class-D speakers are not very efficient to begin with anyway, so they are never going to be loud enough unless you buy more of them. They use cheap chineese drivers which are not all that great, hence the poor max SPL.

Sorry to go slightly off topic.
I know this is the wrong way round , but is there a replacement driver for the Class D cd15 subs , that improves the SPL.

Daryll

mr rusty
15-05-2009, 04:22 PM
You don't actually need a pair of subs - bass isn't very directional - a single one will work very well and is 1/2 the price! Suggest get one good quality sub and a separate amp which you can then use as a backup. If your mixer doesn't have a sub output you will need a separate crossover somewhere in the system. We run just one side of a numark dimension 3 into our single cerwin vega sub15, but you might find it better to use mono bridge mode if the amp has it depending on specs etc.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Suggest get one good quality sub and a separate amp which you can then use as a backup.

The problem with that is that passive speakers are very rarely sold in singles.

markdj60
15-05-2009, 04:40 PM
well well well thanks very much fellas so really i need a new amp and a set of subs or just one is that what your saying? i got a really big hall to do soon so am gonna need to get something sorted out with not alot of cash grrrrrrr

Excalibur
15-05-2009, 06:02 PM
You don't actually need a pair of subs - bass isn't very directional - a single one will work very well and is 1/2 the price! Suggest get one good quality sub and a separate amp which you can then use as a backup. If your mixer doesn't have a sub output you will need a separate crossover somewhere in the system. We run just one side of a numark dimension 3 into our single cerwin vega sub15, but you might find it better to use mono bridge mode if the amp has it depending on specs etc.
True in itself, but as I often say, if you only intend to buy /can afford one, then active is way better. Usually higher SPL as well. Also avoids running your amp bridged, which in sone respects is "Advanced"

Unless you know where to go. ;) The one I've just seen stands taller than me, so trwo could be regarded as overkill. :eek: ;)

well well well thanks very much fellas so really i need a new amp and a set of subs or just one is that what your saying? i got a really big hall to do soon so am gonna need to get something sorted out with not alot of cash grrrrrrr
In short yes. Active may be cheaper if you only get one. It will have the bonus of already being fitted with an active crossover, so you can run your tops out of it. If you can't afford to buy, what about hire? :eek: ( Or borrow. Or trial. ;) )

DJMaxG
15-05-2009, 07:43 PM
hi can someone tell me the best way to get low range out of my speakers without buying some subs,im using 2 skytec 15" for the tops and 2 15" class d for my bass would an active crossover make me get the right bass out of them as i am using an old system controller for them at the moment which has got a sub out on it.

It looks like you already have Bass, based on the 15" Class D.

Active Crossovers improve clearity, it has been proven before, and I have two DJs who will back it.

Have you heard of the BBE Sonic Maximizer?
These are Great for cleaning the sound up.

DJMaxG
15-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Most websites sell Speakers in singles, and offer a discount rate per a pair.

The only store I have seen so far that sells them singly, is Phase One.
(So, It's the other way around :) )

I Guess you base it on shops, but most online retailers sell individually.

CRAZY K
15-05-2009, 09:24 PM

Ill let you know after the Sunday Speakerfest in Yorkshire what I think about Class D.

What I heard in Mansfield was pretty :Censored: loud---but we will see:D

Bear in mind I piggyback on a lot of different types of Disco equipment in my work including Mackie, RCF, Cerwin Vega, Behringer etc so im in a good position to give an objective view--I work with my Peaveys most of the time.

CRAZY K

Tom
16-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Sorry to go slightly off topic.
I know this is the wrong way round , but is there a replacement driver for the Class D cd15 subs , that improves the SPL.

Daryll

The only replacement driver is the original one the cab was designed around.

You could fit another driver but you would need to find out how big the cab is. One way would be to measure the inside of the cab and port, put this in to some speaker cab software and model some drivers for that cab.

Ill let you know after the Sunday Speakerfest in Yorkshire what I think about Class D.

What I heard in Mansfield was pretty :Censored: loud---but we will see:D

CRAZY K

OK. ;):D

I am only going by the information on each of the speakers on the website. The max spl output is really poor apart from the "pro" cabs they have.

CRAZY K
16-05-2009, 07:40 AM
The only replacement driver is the original one the cab was designed around.

You could fit another driver but you would need to find out how big the cab is. One way would be to measure the inside of the cab and port, put this in to some speaker cab software and model some drivers for that cab.

OK. ;):D

I am only going by the information on each of the speakers on the website. The max spl output is really poor apart from the "pro" cabs they have.

Fair enough--I go by my ears--many years ago in the dark ages of sound in the 60s Sinclairs ( Sir Clives mob) produced what they called a 100 watt output amp.

Having bought one and being very convinced it just wasnt that powerful we returned it with a complaint --the reply was well on the bench test it produced 100 watts RMS.

Yeah right --absolute :Censored:

Since then I dont go by specs--I go by what I hear at the gig;)

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Most websites sell Speakers in singles, and offer a discount rate per a pair.

We were talking about passive speakers, not active, so you are incorrect as usual.

Tom
16-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Fair enough--I go by my ears--many years ago in the dark ages of sound in the 60s Sinclairs ( Sir Clives mob) produced what they called a 100 watt output amp.

Having bought one and being very convinced it just wasnt that powerful we returned it with a complaint --the reply was well on the bench test it produced 100 watts RMS.

Yeah right --absolute :Censored:

Since then I dont go by specs--I go by what I hear at the gig;)

CRAZY K

I look at specs before I go to listen to a cab. If the specs look good and worth a listen then I go and have a listen. :)

Excalibur
17-05-2009, 10:22 AM
I look at specs before I go to listen to a cab. If the specs look good and worth a listen then I go and have a listen. :)

I look at price and size before I go to listen to a cab. If they look good and worth a listen then I go and have a listen. :D :sofa:

markdj60
17-05-2009, 10:45 AM
if the amp output is lower than the speaker output would the speakers sound crap at all?

Tom
17-05-2009, 12:10 PM
if the amp output is lower than the speaker output would the speakers sound crap at all?

No.

The only issue you have there is the amp running out of power to run the speakers at the maximum input power (rms). :)

This is why it's a good idea to get an amp that is 1 1/2 or 2 times the power output of the speaker. This makes sure that a clean signal is sent to the speaker. Some people don't agree with this but everyone is different and have different views on this. :)

Excalibur
17-05-2009, 12:10 PM

Quite possibly, though there's no cut and dried answer. What you will find is that if the amp is way underpowered, then you'll run it as hard as you can, and on many of the smaller cheaper ones, that leads to overheating, distortion, and damage. On Friday, I saw a crosssover which had been blown to pieces by a small amp, way lower than the rating of the cab, simply because it had been overdriven.

Edit: Apart from Tom's categorical denial, I agree with him.

markdj60
17-05-2009, 04:53 PM
can someone tell me if a pro sound 1600 watt amp is better than a skytec pro 1000 watt?

Excalibur
17-05-2009, 05:09 PM
can someone tell me if a pro sound 1600 watt amp is better than a skytec pro 1000 watt?

As a doorstop, it's a stunner. :D As an amp.............................:(
All these amps have 1000 in big writing, but in real terms they're about 250.
They're not professional amps, sorry mate but that's the truth of it.

Try Warrior, C-Mark, Behringer, Numark or Thomann for reliable budget amps.

DJMaxG
17-05-2009, 05:29 PM

Pro Sound equipment is manafactured by Carlsbro on behalf of Maplin.

I have heard that they're speakers are excellent, but 2 other people have both said that microphones, amps etc, aren't all that great.

It depends on your speakers that you want to power.

kjdiscos
17-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Pro Sound equipment is manafactured by Carlsbro on behalf of Maplin.

I have heard that they're speakers are excellent, but 2 other people have both said that microphones, amps etc, aren't all that great.

It depends on your speakers that you want to power.

Correction WAS made by carlsbro, On selected lines

markdj60
17-05-2009, 08:26 PM
thanks guys someone is selling one on ebay ive seen them in maplins but have heard different stories about them so thats why i have asked you guys. what sort of price range am i looking at for a good hi wattage budget amp?

Danno13
17-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Sorry to be blunt, but thats like asking whether a kick in the ... is better than a slap round the face.

Its a false economy buying amps at this level.. if funds are limited look at something like the Behringer EP series, Numark Dimenions or Carslbro Powerline.. if you can stretch a bit, then the Crown XLS range or QSC GX would be far better.

DJ Jules
17-05-2009, 09:21 PM
I have heard that they're speakers are excellent.

I don't know who told you that, but they were lying... ;) I've got a set of 15" ProSound speakers and for a first rig they've done ok (and have sounded alot less harsh since I changed the 15" cones for Eminence) - but do sound like cheap speakers if you know what you're listening for and they're top of my list to be replaced with something better when time/money permits. They've got far from flat frequency response, using the horn to provide louder high/mid's to make them sound louder than they really are, but ultimately if you push them hard without an EQ you'll find people starting hiding at the back of the room because the result is really hard on the ears.

The amps aren't much better - I don't know where they get the 1600w figure from for the latest Prosound amps, but it's extremely optimistic - I think if you run it in bridged mode, you might get 1600w absolute peak, but I think realistically you'll get about 200-250w RMS into 8ohm unbridged.

I'd avoid the active speakers from Maplin's too as they've turned up branded as Prosound, Kam, Carlsbro and Studiomaster recently and they suffer the same issues despite the independent amps for high and mid/low (and they're cheaper as Studiomaster!) The active subs are ok for the money, but deliver what you'd expect at £280 each (e.g. reasonable response, but not alot of kick).

It's no good, I'm just going to have to spend some money... :eek:

Julian

Excalibur
17-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Try Warrior, C-Mark, Behringer, Numark or Thomann for reliable budget amps.

thanks guys someone is selling one on ebay ive seen them in maplins but have heard different stories about them so thats why i have asked you guys. what sort of price range am i looking at for a good hi wattage budget amp?

Warrior 1300£223
C-Mark 2450£225
Berry 2500/4000 £309/279
Mumark Dim4 £450
T Amp T2400 £245

Those were first prices I found.

Tom
17-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Martix UKP 1300 - £220 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=160314182255&Category=68247&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

markdj60
18-05-2009, 07:45 PM
pardon me if i seem a bit dim lol but this 4ohms and 8ohms business what does it actually mean someone told me that if your using 2 speakers then its 4ohms and 4 speakers you would be running at 8ohms is this correct?

Tom
18-05-2009, 07:59 PM
pardon me if i seem a bit dim lol but this 4ohms and 8ohms business what does it actually mean someone told me that if your using 2 speakers then its 4ohms and 4 speakers you would be running at 8ohms is this correct?

Ohm is a resistance.

Have a look at this link. I know it's for car audio, but it should give you some understanding of it. :)

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

DJ Jules
18-05-2009, 08:09 PM

Errr no - it's got nothing to do with the number of speakers. The "Ohm rating" of a speaker is the electrical resistance of the voice coil in the speaker. Speakers are typically either 4ohms or 8ohms, and amps can deal with either, but can drive more power into a 4ohm speaker than an 8ohm speaker (which is why on the back of amps you will typically see things like "8ohm = 250w RMS, 4ohm = 400w RMS").

Where it can change with the number of speakers is if you connect more than one to each channel of an amp either by daisy chaining SpeakOn/Jack connections out of one speaker into another or by more "improvised" wiring (but you have to be very careful if you do this as you need to know if your speakers are 4 or 8 ohm and what your amp can handle before you do it!) This is because if you wire speakers in parallel then their electrical resistance goes down, if you wire 2 x 8ohm speakers in parallel then their combined resistance conveniently drops to 4ohms (which should be fine on most amps), but if you wire 2 x 4ohm speakers in parallel then their combined resistance drops to 2ohms which is almost nothing and will damage the output stage in most amps, or if you wire a 4ohm and an 8ohm then the combined resistance is 2.6ohms which will result in similar damage.

This is easier to explain in drawings so if anyone wants more info drop me a note?

Julian

markdj60
18-05-2009, 08:49 PM
so when you have 2 speakers running off 1 amp which is normal anyway is it running parellel?

Tom
18-05-2009, 08:52 PM
so when you have 2 speakers running off 1 amp which is normal anyway is it running parellel?

It can be running parallel or series. It depends on how the cabs are wired together but I think in most cases, it would be parallel.

markdj60
18-05-2009, 08:56 PM
so if my speakers are 8ohms and my amp is 4ohms have i got a problem?

Tom
18-05-2009, 08:58 PM
so if my speakers are 8ohms and my amp is 4ohms have i got a problem?

Depends.

Your amp will give you a power output for 8ohm per channel and 4ohm per channel. Just take a look in the manual and it should tell you how much power the amp will give out.

An amp won't just be 4ohm per channel, mono, bridge ect.

markdj60
18-05-2009, 09:08 PM
ive looked at it and it says the max is 4ohms

think i should do away with that amp and get another one. i have got a peavey cs 400 amp but cant find the specks anywhere on here.

Tom
18-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Have a look here.

There are a few amps that are the CS 400 - http://www.peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/archived.cfm?page=C

markdj60
18-05-2009, 09:27 PM
just found it cheers matey, so just figured out that my speakers are 200 rms@8ohms and the amp is 120rms@8ohms so not getting the full benifit from speakers a?

spin mobile disco
18-05-2009, 09:34 PM
I would drive the speakers with around 300 watts rms to get the full benefit without damaging them. However it is important not to let them clip when you power them up.

Tom
18-05-2009, 09:36 PM
I would drive the speakers with around 300 watts rms to get the full benefit without damaging them. However it is important not to let them clip when you power them up.

I agree

markdj60
18-05-2009, 09:45 PM
cheers fellas.

DJMaxG
18-05-2009, 11:32 PM

Based on a basic system.

Amplifier feeding into 2 speakers - 8 Ohms
Amplifier feeding into 4 speakers - 4 Ohms

If the amp is 8 ohms, and you have a cable going out of each speaker into another (2 speakers per side), then the ohms are halved.

DJ Jules
19-05-2009, 07:21 AM

Sorry - 2 x 8ohm speakers per channel will equate to 4ohm - e.g. full range tops and bass bins (4 speakers in total)

1 x 8ohm speakers per channel will equate to 8ohm (2 speakers in total)

CRAZY K
19-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Based on a basic system.

If the amp is 8 ohms, and you have a cable going out of each speaker into another (2 speakers per side), then the ohms are halved.

Unless you know the wiring of the speakers you cant assume anything.

Erm--amps arent rated in Ohms.

Simply their output in rms when connected to speakers who have a resistance
value of typically 4 or 8 ohms.

What determines the system OR channel resistance in ohms is how the speakers are linked up to the amp.

As Excalibur has reminded me if two speakers on one channel are linked in parallel----then the resistance on that channel is halved.

Peavey have an internal gizmo in the bass sub that means despite having a 4ohm rating when connected with a satellite speaker ( top ) also rated at
4 0hms the overall resistance on that connection is still only 4 ohms which perfectly matches the amp for maximum safe output---

Some say going below 4 ohms is dangerous--I dont know but im speaking to the techhies this morning at Peavey who will know;)

CRAZY K

TonyB
19-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Impedance is not always halved. It just happens to work that way if you connect two speakers of the same impedance.

e.g. 2 x 8 ohm speakers = 1/8 + 1/8 = 2/8. Divide 8 by 2 = 4 Ohms

If they are different impedance e.g a 8 & a 4 ohm:

1/4 + 1/8 (if you remember how to add fractions, the number on the bottom has to be the same) so:

2/8 + 1/8 = 3/8. Divide 8 by 3 = 2.667 Ohms

sleah
19-05-2009, 12:23 PM
i use a behringer graphic for the tops and a system controller with a sub out for the bass but it seems to destort a bit when i turn it up so im guessing the speakers are not up for it,thats why i need to no if an active crossover would be better for the bass and drop the bass lower so it sounds less destorted.

The system controller you have IS an active crossover - at least for driving the subs, so you probably don't need another. As everyone else has said you need to look at the amp/speakers.

Based on a basic system.

I assume you mean a 2 channel amp driving one speaker per channel????

And an amp doesn't have an ohm rating (not as in 8ohm) I think you are meaning the maximum (or lowest:daft:) impedence that an amplifier can drive.

markdj60
19-05-2009, 09:59 PM
just found out my amp is only 4 ohms and my speakers are 8 ohms is that why im not getting the full bass out of them?

DJMaxG
19-05-2009, 11:07 PM
just found out my amp is only 4 ohms and my speakers are 8 ohms is that why im not getting the full bass out of them?

It depends on
(a) The Speakers themselves
(b) The Amplifier

Most Speakers will not produce as much bass as a Sub Woofer.

Tom
19-05-2009, 11:53 PM
It depends on
(a) The Speakers themselves
(b) The Amplifier

Most Speakers will not produce as much bass as a Sub Woofer.

My Mackie SRM 450 V2 go down to 50hz and they do produce quite a lot of low end bass, and that's all from one 12" driver. That's not a subwoofer.

It's all about the cab.

Excalibur
20-05-2009, 04:10 AM

The 4ohms on the back of the amp refers to the minimum impedance it will safely drive. Somebody on here once used the brakes on a car as an analogy of speaker impedance.
8ohms, handbrake on, poor performance.
4ohms, handbrake off, good performance
2ohms, no brakes at all, dangerous.

One reason why you're not getting as much bass as you want is because you're using full range cabs, not bass bins. Bass bins are tuned to work in a much more specific range. As a general rule, you need large cab volumes to produce more bass, unless you get into more complicated cab designs.

I don't expect you to get the sound you want with the kit you've got. Sorry.

JAMdisco
20-05-2009, 07:00 AM
One reason why you're not getting as much bass as you want is because you're using full range cabs, not bass bins. Bass bins are tuned to work in a much more specific range. As a general rule, you need large cab volumes to produce more bass, unless you get into more complicated cab designs.

I don't expect you to get the sound you want with the kit you've got. Sorry.

Not forgetting the use of an active crossover, the difference when I used Peters, driving 2 amps and 6 speakers was outstanding. D&B - no problem :D :D :D

markdj60
20-05-2009, 03:54 PM
anyones views on the soundlab bass bins? i can get a pair for £60.