PDA

View Full Version : How much power do I need ?

Spirits High
15-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi All,

Not being very electrically minded I'd like to pose this question:

I intend to run 2 x W Audio PSR15A's & 1 x Mackie SW1501 Sub.

+ my usual LED lighting rig (nothing massive).

The Marquee company that we are doing a Wedding gig with in July want to know how much power is needed.

Anyone steer me in the right direction?

Tom
15-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Simply add up all the amps for each electrical unit then add some more as a buffer to cover yourself.

if you run your rig of two plug sockets then you have up to 26amps to play with.

Excalibur
15-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi All,

The Marquee company that we are doing a Wedding gig with in July want to know how much power is needed.

As a general rule of thumb, ask for EXCLUSIVE use of two 13amp sockets. I know somebody's going to come on and say they need 200 amps of three phase, but for probably 90% of us two sockets is fine. ( As long as they aren't on the same circuit as the Catering ovens, Chandeliers, etc etc)

Spirits High
15-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks gents, knew there would be a simple answer.

How many amps for the mackie? It is a greedy little so an so!

Pe7e
15-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks gents, knew there would be a simple answer.

How many amps for the mackie? It is a greedy little so an so!

They're not as greedy as you would think, only a miserly 4 amp, your tops will likely take around 7amp each. I would run the sub and a top off one line and a top and the lights off the other,

Tom
15-05-2009, 01:22 PM
It should say in the manual but I think its 5amps.

CRAZY K
15-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Simply add up all the amps for each electrical unit then add some more as a buffer to cover yourself.

if you run your rig of two plug sockets then you have up to 26amps to play with.

I would say any average DJ that doesnt have vast amounts of lighting drawing large power levels would be fine with two 13 amp plugs.

I use Peavey Powered Mixer, additional mixer, two Minidisc players, one small CD player, one Cortex, one Hard drive, plus 6 lighting effects-2 led and 2 moonflowers plus 2 dynatwins plus bank of 4 coloured spots--never had a problem with power.

My main concern would be if theres a jenny--that might be worth looking at carefully.

You dont one hired from Builders Generators R US :eek:

CRAZY K

DJMaxG
15-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi All,

Hi Paul,
You just need to add up the total wattages, it's better to check the label on the back of everything, or specs in the instruction manual, than to guess if it's a 500 watt speaker ... it uses 500 watts.

To work out the amperage, it's Watts divided by the Voltage.

You may need to connect to a generator or powerboard with the round 3 pin commerical type plugs, 16a or 32a, so you'd need a lead or an adaptor also to convert the plug.

Excalibur
15-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi Paul,
You just need to add up the total wattages, it's better to check the label on the back of everything, or specs in the instruction manual, than to guess if it's a 500 watt speaker ... it uses 500 watts.

You may need to connect to a generator or powerboard with the round 3 pin commerical type plugs, 16a or 32a, so you'd need a lead or an adaptor also to convert the plug.

Max, I'm willing to believe you're trying to be helpful, but please leave things like this to the experts.:bang: Even I'm careful what I post on this subject. ;) For what it's worth, the " round 3 pin commerical type plugs," are called Ceeform. ;) And as for your example of power consumption using speakers, well being as polite as I can, it shows your ignorance on this entire matter.

DJ Jules
15-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi Paul,

Things get scary as soon as you start connecting to generators because you have to start considering stuff like inrush current as well (e.g. the amount of power drawn when you turn things on) as otherwise it's possible to cause a genny which is running close to capacity to stall when you turn on your kit! In theory you shouldn't ever have this problem as you'd need a single peice of kit which drew alot of current to produce an inrush worth mentioning (I'd think only amps in the region of 3kw would qualify - or plugging in multiple 1Kw amps with no softstart - e.g. the 1st generation Prosound stuff which can dim the lights in most venues!)

If they are running from a generator, the generator hire company should provide the adaptor to give you a standard 3 pin, 13A socket - I'd think it unreasonable for them to assume that you'd have the convertor (this is based on 5yrs+ of experience of running bouncy castles - my previous venture - from hire generators).

General rule of thumb though, peak wattages of all appliances connected x 2. Or as the man says, 2 x 13A sockets should be safe for most mobile rigs.

DJ Jules
15-05-2009, 08:32 PM
the " round 3 pin commerical type plugs," are called Ceeform.

You learn something new every day - I've been using those things for years and have never heard them called that. I've always referred to them as the "Blue IP44 rated plugs" ;) (See Screwfix (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/97317/Electrical-Supplies/Industrial/240V/200-250V-MK-Commando-Interlocked-Straight-Plug-2P-E-IP44))

Excalibur
15-05-2009, 08:40 PM
You learn something new every day - I've been using those things for years and have never heard them called that. I've always referred to them as the "Blue IP44 rated plugs" ;) (See Screwfix (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/97317/Electrical-Supplies/Industrial/240V/200-250V-MK-Commando-Interlocked-Straight-Plug-2P-E-IP44))

Wait till Tony A1 arrives. ;) We all learn then. I learnt that colour only indicates voltage, not number of phases. :eek:

Penfold42
16-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Wait till Tony A1 arrives. ;)

Ah the voice of reason......:agree:

CRAZY K
16-05-2009, 07:25 AM

THE LAW OF KISS

Keep it simple and stupid

Just ask for 2 x 13 amp plugs and make sure the jenny is a good one and they give you your own supply.

Job done;)

CRAZY K

Paul James Promotions
16-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Always ask for more than is actually required (a 32amp supply split into 2 x 13a sockets with RCD / MCB protection would be plenty for you), and I would spend a couple of minutes following the cables back to source to make sure they haven't been split off to supply other equipment elsewhere.

J

OllieJames
16-05-2009, 08:19 AM
I run, 2 SRM 450s, a mackie desk, CD players & Laptop off one socket and 4 dynamos, 2 magic gobos & a laser off another one.

Might need to run off 3 sockets though when i get some subs?

CRAZY K
16-05-2009, 09:24 AM
I run, 2 SRM 450s, a mackie desk, CD players & Laptop off one socket and 4 dynamos, 2 magic gobos & a laser off another one.

Only if the subs are powered would you need to consider any meaningful increase in power requirements.

As you have active tops I spose you would get a Mackie or a DB sub but I dont expect that would increase the overall requirement by much--HOWEVER check with the Manufacturer or handbook etc.

Someone reckoned it was 7 amps--that sounds high:eek:

CRAZY K

OllieJames
16-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Only if the subs are powered would you need to consider any meaningful increase in power requirements.

As you have active tops I spose you would get a Mackie or a DB sub but I dont expect that would increase the overall requirement by much--HOWEVER check with the Manufacturer or handbook etc.

Someone reckoned it was 7 amps--that sounds high:eek:

CRAZY K

DBSub :) I heard Matt's and it sounds awesome!

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi Paul,

Max, if you carry on with your nonsense, then I will put you back into moderation.

Please stop commenting about things you clearly have no clue about.

Excalibur
16-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Always ask for more than is actually required (a 32amp supply split into 2 x 13a sockets with RCD / MCB protection would be plenty for you), and I would spend a couple of minutes following the cables back to source to make sure they haven't been split off to supply other equipment elsewhere.
J
Indeed. ;) ;) I asked for exclusive use of two 13A sockets in today's marquee wedding. I appear to have that. Until you look, and realise that, as usual, I'm sharing it with the marquee lights. And my two 13a sockets are fed from a 16A breaker. :bang: I'm actually not struggling with it, but as Jamie says, do check.

Good job I only took the small rig with five amps, and ten cabs. ;) :D :D

DBSub :) I heard Matt's and it sounds awesome!
Someone else on here may have a different opinion. ( Not me, I haven't heard it)

Count the total watts as stated on the back of all items. Divide it by 230, and that's your current draw. Add on say 50% ( or double it if you're really worried ) and that's the sort of figure you need.

Ollie, at a very rough guess, I'd say you're less than ten amps at the moment. One socket easy, but as we always say, two for preference.

Now rant time. I've just set this one up, no probs, until the caterers turned up. Have I ever said how much I hate caterers? :mad: :mad: If I give you the whole story, I'll get into trouble. Suffice to say, I now know exactly how the leccy supply gets into the marquee, where all the trips are, particularly the RCD in the garage, where we've got 48amps available. ( Until the caterers plug in one particular item. :bang: ) Then we have zero. :( I've just spent all morning sorting it out, and I've missed closing time for a supplier. :mad:

A1DL
16-05-2009, 11:40 AM
THE LAW OF KISS

Keep it simple and stupid

Just ask for 2 x 13 amp plugs and make sure the jenny is a good one and they give you your own supply.

Job done;)

CRAZY K

For a "normal" wedding/party type event for up to a couple of hundred guests, using a "normal" amount of equipment, in most cases you won't go wrong with Alan's advice.

Regarding the genset, read "good one" as "must have AVR" (automatic voltage regulation.

Often the marquee company/power provider will leave you a twin metalclad socket on a stick, with it's supply cable poking through to outside the tent. To give you 2 x 13a with no contention (sharing), this should be connected with 6mm cable (4mm is acceptable in HO7 if a short run) direct to either a separate distro or distro panel on the genset, where it will be protected by a 32a MCB.

It's worthwhile to establish you have been given what you asked for, so if you can safely have a wander and look to see where your supply cable comes from, then do that. But please may I repeat, just look and don't touch, even if it is wrong - it's not your job.

A couple of simple things to look for;

- If there are two cables coming from your twin metalclad socket, there is a high chance that your circuit is shared with someone elses, possibly several others. Therefore you have may not have a 2 x 13a draw at your disposal, even though you may have asked for that.

- If the supply cable is 1.5mm or 2.5mm, you (should!) only have 16a draw available.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Excalibur
16-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Often the marquee company/power provider will leave you a twin metalclad socket on a stick, with it's supply cable poking through to outside the tent. To give you 2 x 13a with no contention (sharing), this should be connected with 6mm cable (4mm is acceptable in HO7 if a short run) direct to either a separate distro or distro panel on the genset, where it will be protected by a 32a MCB.

A couple of simple things to look for;

- If there are two cables coming from your twin metalclad socket, there is a high chance that your circuit is shared with someone elses, possibly several others. Therefore you have may not have a 2 x 13a draw at your disposal, even though you may have asked for that.

- If the supply cable is 1.5mm or 2.5mm, you (should!) only have 16a draw available.
Tony
I'd be ecstatic if I had the full 16A. :eek: I'm sharing tonight with the marquee lighting, and I'd guess the beer coolers as well. :( :( The customer can see two empty sockets at my end, so he thinks I've got what I asked for. Ah well.

Tom
16-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I have an 18th birthday party next week. It's outside in a marque for 150 screaming teens in the clients back garden.

I told the client that I will need at least 24 amps of power (she noted that down) and said OK.

Let's hope I get that power I need. :(

Excalibur
16-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I have an 18th birthday party next week. It's outside in a marque for 150 screaming teens in the clients back garden.

I told the client that I will need at least 24 amps of power (she noted that down) and said OK.

Let's hope I get that power I need. :(

I wouldn't bet the house on it mate. ;) :D

Jiggles
16-05-2009, 06:16 PM
8 Horse Power should do it :D

Excalibur
16-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Thank you Callum. Sorry Sir. :o :D :D

Jiggles
16-05-2009, 08:23 PM
:lol:

Excalibur
16-05-2009, 09:23 PM
8 Horse Power should do it :D

Actually, if he wants 24 amps, he needs 32 horsepower.;)

andyw
16-05-2009, 09:51 PM
if he's using 24 amps how many speakers is he using:bang:

Excalibur
16-05-2009, 09:54 PM
if he's using 24 amps how many speakers is he using:bang:

Less than me. :p :D :D

Jiggles
16-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Actually, if he wants 24 amps, he needs 32 horsepower.;)

Now how i worked it out :confused:

Excalibur
16-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Now how i worked it out :confused:

I'll keep quiet. I think you're right. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Jiggles
16-05-2009, 10:41 PM
:D:D:D :ner:

Excalibur
16-05-2009, 10:53 PM
:D:D:D :ner:

Absolutely.

DJMaxG
16-05-2009, 11:22 PM
For a "normal" wedding/party type event for up to a couple of hundred guests, using a "normal" amount of equipment, in most cases you won't go wrong with Alan's advice.

Most DJs at Standard Wedding / Party Gigs will use 2 X 13a plug sockets. (26 amps total)

If there is already power in the marquee, but it is not right :-

You should take a look at the generator, and (within reason) connect to an available socket on the unit itself.

But I must stress, only do this if you know what you're doing.

A Couple of DJs from up North turned up to do a Marquee function without the right connectors, it was obviously a round plug.

So they had to ask the clients to borrow an extension lead. :eek:

This was run from the house, so waste of time it was hiring a generator with the marquee.

A1DL
17-05-2009, 12:27 AM
If there is already power in the marquee, but it is not right :-

You should take a look at the generator, and (within reason) connect to an available socket on the unit itself.

Bad advice Max. Leaving aside the BS7909:2008 implications and just concentrating on the technical side, what may look like an "available" socket (I assume you mean a ceeform outlet with nothing connected) may not be "available" as you put it.

For example, on a medium size set with built in distro panel, which may be single/three phase switchable, when the set is running in three phase mode, there will be nothing connected to the single phase cees, which won't be energised as the power provider will have connected an external distro and designed the load balancing around this.

If you looked at our 63a 3 phase distro, you'd often find a choice of "available" 16a and 32a sockets on it, however the one 32a connected to L2 could supply a pair of tea urns which will be powered up for coffee at around the same time you want to start your disco. In this example, if you come along and plug a load of LX into L2 when you don't understand the full picture, you will severely screw the LB and strain/possibly stall the set.

A Couple of DJs from up North turned up to do a Marquee function without the right connectors, it was obviously a round plug.

Unless stated to the contrary, it is custom in practice for the power provider to terminate in metalclad 13s or short 16 to 13a jumpers. Although some do, I wouldn't expect many DJs/acts to carry ceeform connectors. As an aside, I've had a band before now trying to force a 13a plugtop into a 32a socket.

andyw
17-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Bad advice Max.
how unusual is that.:bang:

Excalibur
17-05-2009, 12:51 AM
Most DJs at Standard Wedding / Party Gigs will use 2 X 13a plug sockets. (26 amps total)

26 amps total eh? That's interesting. I was supplied with two 13amp metalclads tonight, as requested. Since they were fed from a 16A breaker, I suspect I would have struggled to achieve a 26amp draw for long periods.

Max, do you ever read anything posted previously? I stated this earlier. :mad: :bang:

It would appear that you take little notice of the good advice you are given on here. I'd start heeding it, cos you're getting right up more people's noses than swine flu.

DJMaxG
17-05-2009, 04:05 AM
Bad advice Max. Leaving aside the BS7909:2008 implications and just concentrating on the technical side, what may look like an "available" socket (I assume you mean a ceeform outlet with nothing connected) may not be "available" as you put it.

For example, on a medium size set with built in distro panel, which may be single/three phase switchable, when the set is running in three phase mode, there will be nothing connected to the single phase cees, which won't be energised as the power provider will have connected an external distro and designed the load balancing around this.

If you looked at our 63a 3 phase distro, you'd often find a choice of "available" 16a and 32a sockets on it, however the one 32a connected to L2 could supply a pair of tea urns which will be powered up for coffee at around the same time you want to start your disco. In this example, if you come along and plug a load of LX into L2 when you don't understand the full picture, you will severely screw the LB and strain/possibly stall the set.

Unless stated to the contrary, it is custom in practice for the power provider to terminate in metalclad 13s or short 16 to 13a jumpers. Although some do, I wouldn't expect many DJs/acts to carry ceeform connectors. As an aside, I've had a band before now trying to force a 13a plugtop into a 32a socket.

Hi A1DL,

I know a fair bit about electrics, and like I say, I would check what was connected first.

Based on the generator being a single phase system, with a couple of 16a outlets, If there was no distro board, I would probably connect to one of them; or a 32a perhaps.

But if all the power was being used for ovens, bars etc, I wouldn't then obviously.

If in doubt, it is an idea for DJs to provide their own generators that they are responsible for to avoid any problems/confusion.

If I was running a marquee event, knowing the power provided for my useage was 16, 32, or 3 phase, I'd take the right leads.

I'd like to know a bit more about this ...
What is a Jumper ?

DJMaxG
17-05-2009, 04:08 AM
26 amps total eh? That's interesting. I was supplied with two 13amp metalclads tonight, as requested. Since they were fed from a 16A breaker, I suspect I would have struggled to achieve a 26amp draw for long periods.

2 X 13 = 26a

If your RCD/MCB is rated at 16a, then that's just bad luck.
But, I got the Maths right :(

A1DL
17-05-2009, 08:52 AM
What is a Jumper ?

Quite simply a short cable made for the purpose of "jumping" from one type or size of connector to another.

Small jumpers include 16a ceeform plug to 13a BS1363 socket, 13a BS1363 plugtop to 16a ceeform socket, 15a round pin plugtop to 16a ceeform socket.

Excalibur
17-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi A1DL,

I know a fair bit about electrics, and like I say, I would check what was connected first.
Jury's still out on that one. Not looking hopeful. ;) :( :(

What is a Jumper ?

Here's a woolly one.