PDA

View Full Version : akg or shure

cosmicdiscos
24-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi
I'm looking at getting a new mic. I've been keen to get a 'legendary' Shure SM58 but i've read some good reviews of the AKG D5.
does anyone have any opinions of the pair and which should i go for.
They're roughly the same price, the D5 is super cardoid as opposed to the SM58 which is just cardoid. Also the D5 is 70Hz-20kHz while the SM58 is 50Hz-15kHz.

Thanks

kilmeedyman
25-05-2009, 12:31 AM
They are both superb mics, so the only way to determine which yo should have would be to find a way to use both (perhaps at a dealers shop/premises) and see which you sound better with.

rob1963
25-05-2009, 07:33 AM
All I'd say is that there must be a REASON why the SM58 is legendary & has been the industry standard for so many years.

mark karaoke
25-05-2009, 11:54 AM
i dont want to muddy the waters but i recently bought a sennheiser 945,and have to say it is briliant

OllieJames
25-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I use SM58's and i think they're fantastic. Like Rob said, there's a reason for them being the industry standard.

Danno13
25-05-2009, 12:22 PM
All I'd say is that there must be a REASON why the SM58 is legendary & has been the industry standard for so many years.

It's because of its reliability more than anything. That's not to say it doesn't sound good... but you can get better.

I'm using a £15 JTS mic at the moment, we did a mic comparison down at one of the Wales NADJ meets and I honesltly couldn't hear much difference between this and an SM58, but then it does obviously depend on your voice.

CRAZY K
25-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Because Shure have been going longer than most of the competition Rob.

You probably dont remember the Man from Uncle series from the 60s.

It featured at the beginning an announcement by the boss man using a Shure 545--an excellent mike for its time and used by all the SERIOUS Bands and Discos at the time--sheer quality.

Incidentally try JTS as well--I have been very pleased with my radio mike and whilst not as well known as AKG or Shure Corabar Steve uses the corded version I believe.

CRAZY K

A1DL
25-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi
does anyone have any opinions of the pair and which should i go for.
Thanks

AKG are a highly regarded manufacturer of professional microphones (as of course are Shure). Whilst I don't recall using a D5, I do use other AKG mics (C747s, C451s, etc) and have always been very pleased with the results.

Although the Shure SM58 is an industry standard general purpose vocal mic, it is certainly not the best sounding mic out there, and it is worth A/B-ing against offerings from the other respected mic camps, such as AKG, Sennheiser & Audix.

Let your ears make the decision. :)