PDA

View Full Version : PCDJ VJ dropped by Atomix!!

welby
27-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Hi all I just wanted you guys who are thinking about purchasing PCDJ VJ from www.pcdj.co.uk or www.pcdj.com DON'T!!!

Allegedly there is a legal wrangle going on between PCDJ and Atomix. Rumour has it that PCDJ havent paid the annual licence fee so Atomix ceased trading with them.

Here's a quote from Ryan over at the forum of www.pcdj.com:

there is a disagreement between the development company and PCDJ, and they will be handling things legally - otherwise not publicly. There will not be any discussions of anything regarding this here, by myself or anyone else here at PCDJ. It's somewhat moot regardless, the VJ program is finito with PCDJ - the only thing you all have to find out is if there will be some kind of crossgrade or promotion for you to take advantage of.

It isn't a matter of a contract falling through, but again, speculate all you must - it's not going to allow me to post any details regardless.

What I don't get is that when people bought PCDJ VJ - did they not buy it for what I was? Not what they one day hoped it to be?

This is my last post in this thread until there's something new to discuss, thread closed, for now...

There is some heated debate going on and people that have purchased PCDJ VJ (Including me) are pretty well hacked off to say the least.

As a licences user your best bet is to hang on as Atomix may offer a crossgrade to the up and coming version 6 of Virtual DJ. But I wouldn't hold your breath as apparently PCDJ are digging their heels in about letting atomix do this while legal discussions are taking place.

Or if you are thinking of purchasing I would recommend buying it from atomix directly at $299 - steep price because of the naff dollar exchange!

You have been warned!

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I think this has already been mentioned a while back. They have dropped Cue as well, I believe.

kjdiscos
27-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Theres far better software out there for vj use, So no great loss

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Theres far better software out there for vj use

For the price?

kjdiscos
27-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Yep, Id buy OTS AV anyday over it, But depends on your usage if your a full video disco realy or just do a bit of kj'n and odd video

welby
27-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Yep, Id buy OTS AV anyday over it, But depends on your usage if your a full video disco realy or just do a bit of kj'n and odd video

Can you justify that statement for me?

I have looked at the interface for OTS AV and to be honest it look pants, but tell me about the functionality over PCDJ VJ?

For me PDCDJ does:

mp3 (Disco)
VOB/AVI et al (Video)
CDG (Karaoke)

Am I missing something?

Im more chesed off about having only purchased PCDJ VJ a couple of months ago and now I have no support and no upgrade path! All because they have fell out, it would seem, and Atomix are currently not providing a cross-grade either!

Now wouldn't you be miffed!

welby
27-05-2009, 02:20 PM

such as?

kjdiscos
27-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Can you justify that statement for me?

I have looked at the interface for OTS AV and to be honest it look pants, but tell me about the functionality over PCDJ VJ?

For me PDCDJ does:

mp3 (Disco)
VOB/AVI et al (Video)
CDG (Karaoke)

Am I missing something?

Im more chesed off about having only purchased PCDJ VJ a couple of months ago and now I have no support and no upgrade path! All because they have fell out, it would seem, and Atomix are currently not providing a cross-grade either!

Looks Pants !,

Well the user interface aint all dangly and fancy, But its plays all music, videos and ya karaoke, Does Vobs to, The search function is well amazing once youve created your ots files.

And if you play videos the quality is stonking compared to el atomix aka pcdj vj, very noticable, It does however need a good machine to do videos with ease, I run its on a dual core amd, with 4gb ram and it nice and smooth,

Also does excellent slide shows alot higher quality then vj does
Give it ago you wont be dissapointed !

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2009, 02:29 PM
And if you play videos the quality is stonking compared to el atomix aka pcdj vj, very noticable,

Surely that would depend on how they were ripped?

kjdiscos
27-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Surely that would depend on how they were ripped?

It can be by the rip but lets face it we should all be ripping in vob anyway, But still quality between the 2 is noticable, And the audio levels are normalised in ots

welby
27-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Does OTS AV support the DAC 3?

Found the answer:

PCDJ DAC-3 (this controller only supports 1-way MIDI so LEDs and screens do not function)

Anyone looked at the new version of Club DJ lately -looks very promising.

kjdiscos
27-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Does OTS AV support the DAC 3?

will power up that laptop in a few minutes and check, It does support the denon 4500 and few others

kjdiscos
27-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Yep works with the dac3 mate

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2009, 03:01 PM
I use TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress (http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html) to encode my files and it gives excellent results even on an 8 foot screen, and the files are still a reasonable size too.

kjdiscos
27-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I use TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress (http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html) to encode my files and it gives excellent results even on an 8 foot screen, and the files are still a reasonable size too.

havent tried that one darren, did try a few mpeg rippers, and wasnt happy, However doesnt seem a bad price, And could save on hard drive space, May try a demo for a side by side,

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2009, 03:08 PM
havent tried that one darren, did try a few mpeg rippers, and wasnt happy, However doesnt seem a bad price, And could save on hard drive space, May try a demo for a side by side,

Someone on another forum gave me his settings for the ultimate in quality Vs file size and it works very well.

kjdiscos
27-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Someone on another forum gave me his settings for the ultimate in quality Vs file size and it works very well.

Care to share them, Currently in vobs each video is around 300-400mb

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Care to share them, Currently in vobs each video is around 300-400mb

I need to dig a different drive out to get them. Remind me again later.

kjdiscos
27-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I need to dig a different drive out to get them. Remind me again later.

ok cheers, they probably will do trick, as like myself you like high standards :)

Adam_F
27-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Atomix are currently not providing a cross-grade either!

Think they do.

Why not check their site http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html
In the "Upgrade to VirtualDJ Pro" part, it states you can upgrade from Cue, VDJ Home Edition, Hercules versions and also Virtual Vinyl, so guess it means PCDJ too.

DJ James Lake
27-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Think they do.

Why not check their site http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html
In the "Upgrade to VirtualDJ Pro" part, it states you can upgrade from Cue, VDJ Home Edition, Hercules versions and also Virtual Vinyl, so guess it means PCDJ too.

No it doesnt there is no crossgrade from PCDJ VJ at the moment and I wouldnt hold your breath.

jamesh
27-05-2009, 09:06 PM

What a load of rubbish!!! But then i dont know why im supprised!

having looked and run both on my system for a numbers or years i find that VDJ is far more flixible than OTS AV in a live situation - especially when you use it with the likes of the denon controller or Dac 3 which is fully supported by VDJ where as only part supported by OTS AV.

Yep works with the dac3 mate

only partly works with OTS AV where as it's fully supported in VDJ

kjdiscos
27-05-2009, 09:29 PM
What a load of rubbish!!! But then i dont know why im supprised!

having looked and run both on my system for a numbers or years i find that VDJ is far more flixible than OTS AV in a live situation - especially when you use it with the likes of the denon controller or Dac 3 which is fully supported by VDJ where as only part supported by OTS AV.

only partly works with OTS AV where as it's fully supported in VDJ

How is it far more flexible james ? The denon is fully supported in ots av. Maybe its down to personal preference but i think its far better, Maybe personal preference ?