PDA

View Full Version : Pro Dub - Has it lived up to the hype?

Richard Veal
30-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Thought I'd ask how you feel Pro Dub has worked for you?

Reason I ask? Well I sent an email to them highlighting my disappointment over the lack of enforcement over the licence.

I have a residency at a very respectable holiday center and during a recent meeting about christmas functions for this year wegot a little off topic and Produb came up in the converstaion.

Although they are aware of it ( i told them) and they have checked with them about what they are supposed to do (ie check the database) they still have not heard anything about it on a business level. It would appear it's not being enforced or publicised< (doubt thats spelt right) at all. Any way that what I emailed to complain about as I know a fair few don't have it & should do and I was wondering as to the point of continueing with it. At least 3 months on still no reply.

Any similar experiences?

(off topic) reference a thread elsewhere on the site that got a little heated?

I am one of thoes disco people that a venue tries to encourage the client to use me as their disco - Why? It's free - built into the price of the function if you like so if they want to use another provider no problem they still get paid.

Sorry had to get that in but I only read all about the fiasco tonight.

DeckstarDeluxe
31-05-2009, 12:37 AM
I get hacked off with the lack of enforcement not just for Produb but other areas. Someone can offer a "disco" with no Pat, PLI, downloaded music from illegal source, Produb, copied software i.e PCDJ, Cue etc.. and its all cash in the hand.

Once more customers dont care if the dj is legit or not (well in most cases).

Creature
31-05-2009, 03:43 AM
Once more customers dont care if the dj is legit or not (well in most cases).

I would go furtehr and state many customers dont want ya all nice n legal as they know its gonna cost them more

rob1963
31-05-2009, 09:23 AM

How has it worked for me? It's worked well, simply because it's allowed me to operate legally, unlike many.

Have any venues asked for it or even mentioned it? Of course not!

Reason I ask? Well I sent an email to them highlighting my disappointment over the lack of enforcement over the licence.

I'm guessing that's because they don't have enough staff to enforce it as they'd like, although it's the same with many other things too.

What about businesses who don't register to pay tax? What about the ones who have two sets of books, one accurate one & another for the tax man? What about the millions of cars with no tax, no insurance & no MOT?

As professional business people, I think the important thing is to make sure that we DO operate legally, and not worry about what others are doing. If they want to break the law that's nothing to do with us.

Any way that what I emailed to complain about as I know a fair few don't have it & should do and I was wondering as to the point of continueing with it. At least 3 months on still no reply.

I'm quite surprised you haven't had a reply to your email.

I recently emailed ProDub about possible changes to the bands & costs for those renewing in year two, and received a reply within a few days.

andyw
31-05-2009, 09:36 AM
i am not a big fan of produb myself at the moment, and it will be easy for this to turn into a lets have a dig thread, when they sort out the carrying back up and the minimum size for future years then i will buy it and go totally digital(well not me my son). the good thing about produb is it allows you to be totally legal using digital media,which is what people have been crying out for. needs a few tweaks yes,needs to be more awareness of the need for it yes. in reality it is still in it's infant stage and hopefully they will iron out the problems as they arrive and it is the best chance we have of getting a decent fair license. i wait for the secound year announcement to see if they really are listening to concerns,that will tell me more.

CRAZY K
31-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I recently emailed ProDub about possible changes to the bands & costs for those renewing in year two, and received a reply within a few days.

And the answer was????????????????????

Holds breath;)

CRAZY K

rob1963
31-05-2009, 10:42 AM
And the answer was????????????????????

Holds breath;)

CRAZY K

I posted the answer on here, Crazy...don't you remember?

They told me that a proposal had been put to the board for a lower band at a reduced cost for year two, and it looked like it would be ratified, although nothing had yet been confirmed...but when it was all existing licence holder would be emailed with the details.

I remember you responded by asking what my source of the infomation was.

Ring any bells now?

:D :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
31-05-2009, 12:54 PM

How has it worked for me? It's worked well, simply because it's allowed me to operate legally, unlike many.

Precisely.

Richard Veal
31-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Absolutly, It does what it says. Just I wish it was enforced a lot better or even at all. I remember at BPM that nice man telling me that they were going to let it get established and not enforce it until the run up to christmas then at that point it would be heavily enforced with penalties for venues not checking out the eligibility of the acts they employ, I feel a bit let down. Thats all.
Just wondered if i was alone in this thought -
Every pub - social club etc I have struck a conversation with about it has never heard of it. But then I do come from Norfolk we do work a little slower here.

DeckstarDeluxe
31-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Absolutly, It does what it says. Just I wish it was enforced a lot better or even at all. I remember at BPM that nice man telling me that they were going to let it get established and not enforce it until the run up to christmas then at that point it would be heavily enforced with penalties for venues not checking out the eligibility of the acts they employ, I feel a bit let down. Thats all.
Just wondered if i was alone in this thought -
Every pub - social club etc I have struck a conversation with about it has never heard of it. But then I do come from Norfolk we do work a little slower here.

Not just Norfolk Richard. Its around here to and I'll imagine its the same for the rest of the country. Produb doesnt apply to every DJ too so it takes a backseat to checks on Pat and PLI and even then Ive yet to be asked by a venue, customer or anyone else (apart from djs on here that offered me work) about this.

JAMdisco
01-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Not just Norfolk Richard. Its around here to and I'll imagine its the same for the rest of the country. Produb doesn't apply to every DJ too so it takes a back-seat to checks on Pat and PLI and even then Ive yet to be asked by a venue, customer or anyone else (apart from DJs on here that offered me work) about this.

Did I read that correctly? You've NEVER been asked for PAT or PLI? There are a few venues around here that won't even let you set up without showing them the PLI certificate. I've had a few venues ring me about it (usually a couple of days before) and I either email, fax or tell them it's on my website as a printable pdf.

As far as the produb licence, I too have never been asked by anyone.

CRAZY K
01-06-2009, 08:11 AM
I posted the answer on here, Crazy...don't you remember?

They told me that a proposal had been put to the board for a lower band at a reduced cost for year two, and it looked like it would be ratified, although nothing had yet been confirmed...but when it was all existing licence holder would be emailed with the details.

I remember you responded by asking what my source of the infomation was.

Ring any bells now?

:D :D :D

Thanks Rob.

Err nope:bang:

What rings a bell is---

I have heard nothing by email and its a month to go before renewal:eek::eek: :eek:

CRAZY K

CRAZY K
01-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Did I read that correctly? You've NEVER been asked for PAT or PLI? There are a few venues around here that won't even let you set up without showing them the PLI certificate. I've had a few venues ring me about it (usually a couple of days before) and I either email, fax or tell them it's on my website as a printable pdf.

Hi Justin, outside of major venues (which we dont cover) I dont think there is any insistence on anything.

From here my wife (with subcontracted work) and I cover the whole of England and I can remember only one venue that ever insisted on proof of anything--that was in Southend where you needed PLI.

So there is still virtually no checking up--which is a shame because it would help those of us running a legal professional approach to entertainment TO COMPETE ON A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD WITH THE CHEAPOS.

Presently the only ammunition we have is to question legality reliability and safety of the cheapos which to a lot of people smacks of sour grapes---as Creature says some people like it because they think it makes it cheaper--

AAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

CRAZY K

Pe7e
01-06-2009, 09:09 AM

That's pretty much the same experience I have hardly ever been asked, and virtually never required to produce proof of either, but why would that surprise anyone, pat and pli are NOT legal requirements. However, in these litigation happy times, it would be risky to not have PLI, especially as it is so cheap to get yourself covered. On the other hand, does anyone know of any DJ operating in the UK, to have ever been sued in the last 10 years for causing injury?

scoopd
01-06-2009, 12:00 PM
You wonder if less people will be inclined to pay £250/300 in the current financial climate unless it is enforced (I hope it will be enforced incidentally)

andyw
01-06-2009, 12:16 PM
You wonder if less people will be inclined to pay £250/300 in the current financial climate unless it is enforced (I hope it will be enforced incidentally)

i don't think the current climate will affect it,those that want to stay inside the law and be digital will buy it,those that want to stay inside the law but not buy it will carry on with cd's and legal downloads. those that don't care will carry on as always and ignore it and even if they give the license away free some will say why should i get it

rob1963
01-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks Rob.

Err nope:bang:

What rings a bell is---

I have heard nothing by email and its a month to go before renewal:eek::eek: :eek:

Here you go, Crazy.

This was the post where I answered your question asking what my source of information was: http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=341524&postcount=12

:)

DeckstarDeluxe
01-06-2009, 04:21 PM

Yes afaird so. I also have to point out Im not that cheap either and Ive worked at some very posh hotels here. In fact theres one which is a listed building yet they have never asked me for proof.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Suggestion for all you people who have never been asked. Offer the documentation. Venues will change their minds and policies when you offer them PLI, PAT and Produb.

All my regular places insist on it now from other DJs as I kept banging on about it!

If I work in a venue which is new to me, I always send the company PLI, PAT and Produb for which ever DJ is working there and as way of an introduction.

Spread the word brothers!

DeckstarDeluxe
26-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Suggestion for all you people who have never been asked. Offer the documentation. Venues will change their minds and policies when you offer them PLI, PAT and Produb.

All my regular places insist on it now from other DJs as I kept banging on about it!

If I work in a venue which is new to me, I always send the company PLI, PAT and Produb for which ever DJ is working there and as way of an introduction.

Spread the word brothers!

Just want to say I noticed this and last two gigs now Ive produced the docs without being asked for them. Both venues were impressed, both sets of staff were alot more friendly and helpful. Tonight one of the staff also noticed I used cable protectors and said word for word "boy you keep a tight ship". Made my night really because it wasnt a great one in all fairness.

I urge you guys to do this too. I have copies of my PLI, PAT and Produb in a plastic wallet gaffa taped up in the back of the van so upon entering venues now before I set up I take the docs with me and make that one of the first convesations I have with venue staff.

Thanks for the advice Darren.

ppentertainments
27-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Just want to say I noticed this and last two gigs now Ive produced the docs without being asked for them. Both venues were impressed, both sets of staff were alot more friendly and helpful.

Copycat :p :p