PDA

View Full Version : The Wedding From HELL !

ross@rds
12-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Well i had a wedding at a local hotel on wednesday turned up to be told by manager (who i know) that it was a gypsy wedding :eek: hotel had security on and her first words were as i walked in welcome to the wedding from hell so i knew it was going to be a bad night and my god it was the longest 5 hours of my life lol.

They were sat down eating as i set up they kids started running around one seen my mic and thought it would be funny to run off with it, then they went down stairs for a drink while the room was cleaned up etc so i got time to test etc before they came back. Was ment to start at 7.00pm this turned into 6.30 as groom wanted first dance then so started and they asked for 60s so i played it then it was oh thats crap put new stuff on so played chart no i want old skool you get my drift it changed and changed.

Around 7.30 they all went and sat in the beer garden for about 2 hours as it was sunny so i played to bar staff and dancing granny lol by this time i was soo :Censored: off i went for a wonder came back and manager said im shutting at 11.00 was ment to be 12.00 but they had annoyed everyone at the hotel they shut early. So when they came back they wanted to sing so i gave them the mic then it was play this play that no not that this etc and one of the kids smashed half my cds :mad: so to cut a very long night short i de-rigged about 10.45 and was home by the back of 11.00.

Sorry for long post but thought id share :).

Shakermaker Promotions
12-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Ross, firstly sorry to hear you had a bad night.

Now, WHY OH WHY OH WHY did you feel the need to "Go for a wander" when (a) They had already nicked your microphone when you were actually there, (b) Leaving your equipment unattended for 2 minutes would have been totally stupid in my opinion...sorry but come on, you were told that it was the 'wedding from hell' (which I think is out of order no matter who it is) and then you leave your gear alone...blimey mate!...
If I were you I would have stuck it out, grinned and beared it and just taken it as a bad experience.

ross@rds
12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
There was 2 of the doormen there who work in the club the manager owns so they wernt gonna nick anything it was just kids messing around.

Also they were cheeky and abusive to staff so i would brand it the wedding from hell as well.

DeckstarDeluxe
12-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Just out of interest Ross how come no one mentioned to you before the night that it was a gipsy wedding? (Im not saying that matters but just interested)

ross@rds
12-06-2009, 03:51 PM
It was a last minute thing they normaly get the dj in the nightclub to play but he wasnt doing it as in his words "im not filling my laptop with crap music" lol so i did i was nice staff nice venue just not nice customers.

Dynamic Entertainment
12-06-2009, 06:23 PM
It was a last minute thing they normaly get the dj in the nightclub to play but he wasnt doing it as in his words "im not filling my laptop with crap music" lol so i did i was nice staff nice venue just not nice customers.

Are you sure that they usually get their club jock to do it Ross, because the statement "im not filling my laptop with crap" indicates (to me atleast) that he doesnt play in that venue for them!

PS, even with security, i wouldnt have left my set-up. :)

Charlie Brown
12-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Yeah, maybe you shouldn't have left your stuff. But how things can be perceived on a thread can be very different to how it actually was at the time :)

I'm sorry you had a bad night....it's all a learning curve :approve:

Silver
12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
i went for a wonder came back and manager said im shutting at 11.00

Nobody seems to have asked, how long were you away from your equipment?

ross@rds
12-06-2009, 07:01 PM
He does he used to have the music on it and use cds but he refussed to do it now.

For About 5 minutes, i know the owners and ive been in the venue many a time its kitted out with cctv etc so i knew it was safe there.

DeckstarDeluxe
13-06-2009, 12:12 AM
CCTV isnt really effective with travellers and/or gipsys. Caught loads of them stealing on cctv but police have no way to track them down....

JDB Entertainment
13-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Ross another thing you could have avoided was the mic being used by the customers.

If it wasn't a karaoke event then I would have said im sorry you cannot use the mic!

If there were security and they then started giving you agro the security are there to deal with it!

:D

Other than that - sometimes you do have bad gigs, just learn from them is my advice!

James

P.S. Totally agree I would never leave my kit! Public Liability Insurance is void then!!!

djsteve10
13-06-2009, 11:54 AM
1st of all I think you are stereotyping people here when you say it's a "gypsy" wedding. The way you describe this as the wedding from hell is simply exagerated, Half of the disruptions and problems you could have sorted yourself you just let it happen by leaving the equipment. I think you should really take a look at how you operate as it seems you just let anybody around your kit.

DJMaxG
13-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Sorry for long post but thought id share :).

Sounds arful, I bet the CDs getting broken was the worst part, not to ignore the circumstances, but if they paid for the room, can the manager throw them out an hour early? :confused:

Hopefully you're insured, if not they will pay for damages etc.

What do you mean by 'CDs broken'?
Is that stracthed discs, or cracked cases - what

What a disaster

Shakermaker Promotions
13-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I do agree with that Steve but I would'nt have put it so aggressively (that's how it looks).

Ross, all of the comments so far have been posted because your original post didn't have all of the information in it so you can't really blame us. Everyone has to leave their gear at some point...it may be to go to the loo or something, I don't know? I think it was out of order (as I said already) for the hotel to put a 'dampener' on things and tell you on arrival that it was the 'wedding from hell'. I think it would have been much better if they had kept their mouths shut because it wouldn't have had you on edge and worrying and you would have been none the wiser.

A simple "You may want to watch this lot" or best of all nothing at all would have been much better. I'm sorry but I also totally disagree with labelling people too. Ok, from what has been said on here before about these types of functions, I should imagine you had that in the back of your head anyway so it wasn't a good start but if you were never made aware in the first place then it may have been cool? Personally, I give everyone a chance, no matter who they are until they muck me about and then I stamp my ground. If security were there then you have your back covered too. I have never ever had to finish a night early due to a rowdy crowd or the hotel saying that they weren't prepared to put up with anymore cack from anyone and I hope that stays the same but I don't expect it will. Things are bound to happen as we are dealing with the public and alcohol and we have to deal with that as it's the career path we have chosen. With the good comes the bad obviously. Take it on the chin and move onwards.

ross@rds
13-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Ross another thing you could have avoided was the mic being used by the customers.

If it wasn't a karaoke event then I would have said im sorry you cannot use the mic!

I aim to keep my customers happy i dont mind abit of banter im not a crabbit person who was going to say no give that back it was a couple of girls having a sing along that wasnt my problem it was when they started wanting this song then this one etc.

1st of all I think you are stereotyping people here when you say it's a "gypsy" wedding. The way you describe this as the wedding from hell is simply exagerated, Half of the disruptions and problems you could have sorted yourself you just let it happen by leaving the equipment. I think you should really take a look at how you operate as it seems you just let anybody around your kit.

Well they are gypsy's what els shall i call them ?, also its the worse wedding ive done so in my books it was the wedding from hell. Also the room was empty as i said with only granny who was about 60 so dont think she was running away with anything and also security was there so if you seen these guys dont think you would try anything.

I dont think i should look at how i operate as ive now got all of the hotels bookings from this wedding and the staff commented on how my rig looked so just because they were a bad lot i dont feel the need to think i cant operate a disco right!

andyw
13-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Sounds arful, I bet the CDs getting broken was the worst part, not to ignore the circumstances, but if they paid for the room, can the manager throw them out an hour early? :confused:

What a disaster
yes they can max,, at the end of the day they hold the license and you have to obey what they say not your client. so when they say finish you finish. (it is good practice to keep in with the venue where possible)

DJ Jules
13-06-2009, 09:54 PM
I have never ever had to finish a night early due to a rowdy crowd or the hotel saying that they weren't prepared to put up with anymore cack from anyone and I hope that stays the same but I don't expect it will. Things are bound to happen as we are dealing with the public and alcohol and we have to deal with that as it's the career path we have chosen. With the good comes the bad obviously. Take it on the chin and move onwards.

Unfortunately I've had a few nights finish earlier - for some reason the pub owner wasn't prepared to let them carry on the party after they kicked the toilet doors off their hinges, broke the light fittings in the loo's and started throwing pint glasses off the smokers balcony. On this occasion the customers had just paid me an extra few quid to play on from midnight until 2:00 when the landlord called time so I was faced with a bunch of drunken, annoyed 20somethings demanding their extra cash back or I should put the music back on. I just calmly told them that I had no problem giving them their extra cash back if I couldn't play on, but it was the landlords call and asked them to wait to see if they could sort it out first, and then come back to me. So they went off, talked to the landlord, got told to :Censored: off, so I handed their money back. I still got threatened with a pint poured in my laptop, but got everything out in one peice (including me) with no damage whatsoever.

As the man said, at the end of the day it's the landlord's call - they're under absolutely no obligation to let a party continue to it's end, especially if property is being broken or the guests are getting rowdy. I'm sure if all of these guys read the terms on their booking contracts (if they have them) it says that the landlord reserves the right to call time at any point with no refunds. If they don't have a contract then they've got no rights anyway :)

These things just happen from time to time.

Julian