PDA

View Full Version : How to get clear audio from PC sound playback for live show.

plainman007
17-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Hi,

How many of you here use computers to playback sound for your gigs ?

And if you do what is the best way to output sound from a pc. It has only a single pin available from the back. So im using a single ep pin to to rc (red, white) sound out and feeding the Rc's into my yamaha mixer. So its currently using the intel onboard sound from the motherboard. Im somehow unhappy with the sound. Its muddy and lacks volume by about 30% compared to a media player feeding thru the same RC. So i assume its the source player.

So whats the answer to getting clearest sound for a theatrical presentation by playing wav files from the computer. A sound card ???

Thanks in advance....

Danno13
17-06-2009, 08:45 AM
You need to get a decent sound card, it's been ages since I've bought one, so wouldn't know what to recomend, but have a look on some music equipment websites and you should be able to find something good.

Having 2 stereo outputs will be good too, so you can output each player to a different channel on your mixer and use that to mix, rather than fiddly on-screen crossfaders.

Excalibur
17-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi,

And if you do what is the best way to output sound from a pc. It has only a single pin available from the back. So im using a single ep pin to to rc (red, white) sound out and feeding the Rc's into my yamaha mixer. So its currently using the intel onboard sound from the motherboard. Im somehow unhappy with the sound. Its muddy and lacks volume by about 30% compared to a media player feeding thru the same RC. So i assume its the source player.

So whats the answer to getting clearest sound for a theatrical presentation by playing wav files from the computer. A sound card ???

Thanks in advance....

Heavens, this is a rich and thorny subject. We will need a little more information to give you the best advice. What programme are you using to play your music? In one case it makes a difference to recommendations.

Turn the volume down as far as you can on the source on the Computer, I've found their pre amps to be crap. You'll find there's a volume in the application, and a volume on the taskbar. Application down, taskbar up.

I'm going on experience here, not pure knowledge, so if the Technocrats want to shoot me down, fair enough. I know what works for me( and doesn't work, costing me a lot of wonga :( :( :( :( :( :( :( )

You need to get a decent sound card, it's been ages since I've bought one, so wouldn't know what to recomend, but have a look on some music equipment websites and you should be able to find something good.

Having 2 stereo outputs will be good too, so you can output each player to a different channel on your mixer and use that to mix, rather than fiddly on-screen crossfaders.
Technically, only if he's using a DJ programme. I'd guess we're in Windows media, or Media Monkey here. My caveat refers to MM, cos it doesn't like the best sound cards. :(

SC Events
17-06-2009, 09:59 AM
What do you use as your playout program? I use Virtual DJ and this works for me.

I use a Gigport AG External Sound Card: Here (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR241484)

Connect the sound card to your computer/laptop, then outputs 1 & 2 on the soundcard go into 1 channel on your mixer and outputs 3 & 4 on your sound card go in to another channel on your mixer - easy :D

If your using Virtual DJ, go in to 'Config' then 'Sound Settings' (or something like that) then set your Output to '3 Lines Mixer' and set the left deck to channels 1 & 2 and the right deck to channels 3 & 4

I have also just found this on the web as well.

Here is a diagram (http://www.virtualdj.com/images/pdf/VirtualDJ%203%20-%20Advanced%20ASIO%20configuration.pdf)

It may not be the best set-up, but it works for me.

Excalibur
17-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi,

So whats the answer to getting clearest sound for a theatrical presentation by playing wav files from the computer. A sound card ???..

What do you use as your playout program? I use Virtual DJ and this works for me.

Come on lads, please read the original question. :bang: Now we're suggesting he pays £200 odd quid for a programme which is not the one he wants. :eek:
All he wants to do is play the :Censored: music and not have it sound absolutely crap. I'm guessing MM and a Soundblaster will be more than adequate. It has been for me.

And before any smartarse tells me how much better a Maya or Gigaport will be, no it won't. They don't work with MM. Been there done that...........................:mad: :mad:

plainman007
17-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi Guys !

Thanks for the inputs.

Danno13 > I think that would do the trick.

Excalibur > Your right in that i cant invest too much for this. Also like you said. Its not a disco. Its soundtracks for a play which is why i mentioned theatrical presentation. I need a good clear stereo signal. And some of the sounds played have voice with music. Documentary style. And i need good clear voice and sound. Technically its the quivalent of playing the file in mediaplayer. Im using a dmx software which can just trigger .wav files and it has no volume or any such controls. It just triggers the file which is in a designated folder on the system. I would like to try what you first suggested and if not then go for a sound card.

The intel sound dsp presets seem to be lousy, But if i switch it off the audio seems to reduce by about half in volume. Theres nothing like having pure audio out but without losing volume. Also like you said i dont need mixing and such other DJ software. Just straightforward music/vocal playback.

If im right your suggesting a soundblaster audio card right ? But what is an MM ?

Thanks

ppentertainments
17-06-2009, 07:21 PM
If im right your suggesting a soundblaster audio card right ? But what is an MM ?

Thanks

http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/free/ I'm guessing. ;)

Brilliant program and its free.

Excalibur
17-06-2009, 08:30 PM
http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/free/ I'm guessing. ;)

Brilliant program and its free.

Absolutely. For all the bells and whistles you need to spend about £15. The only two downsides are that it only outputs one stereo channel ( which is not a problem in many cases, it's an advantage) and it won't work with the Maya/Gigaport cards. ( Unless there's been a mod recently)

This is the card I use , it's not the best on the market, but it works just fine, and doesn't break the bank.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280350961261

plainman007
18-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi,

I unfortunately cant change my playback software. It controls the lights in sync with the sound and i have already invested in it too. But i doubt its the playback thats causing the problem. Most pcs ive heard output very poor sound. I think a sound card is my only option here. I would need just a good quality stereo sound card as i wont need 5.1 and the like. Id rather have a high quality stereo card. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Excalibur > Thanks for the link. But it says page cant be found. Also are any good quality Stereo only cards out there ? The rest of the audio hardware is professionaly with a yamaha mixer and crown amp. So i guess if i correct the source i can get some good sound out of this PC.

Thanks

Excalibur
18-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi,

Excalibur > Thanks for the link. But it says page cant be found.
Thanks

Works for me.:confused:

DazzyD
18-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I too can vouch for Media Monkey. Chris (PPEntertainments) put me on to it about a year ago and it was impressed that it is free.

To get the best sound, you need a sound card. I just use an external SoundBlaster USB sound card and it does the trick for me. It comes with the drivers and software required to get the best out your music. However, it's only a 1 input/1 output device so it's not great for monitoring but for theatrical uses it would be ideal. It's also cheap at under £40 when I got mine (about 3 years ago).

Excalibur
18-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I too can vouch for Media Monkey. Chris (PPEntertainments) put me on to it about a year ago and it was impressed that it is free.

To get the best sound, you need a sound card. I just use an external SoundBlaster USB sound card and it does the trick for me. It comes with the drivers and software required to get the best out your music. However, it's only a 1 input/1 output device so it's not great for monitoring but for theatrical uses it would be ideal. It's also cheap at under £40 when I got mine (about 3 years ago).

If it's the SB0270 I linked to, it's not high priced ( under £25 now) but in my view, excellent value. For top quality sound you're into Maya/Gigaport/M-Audio, but with a price of £75-£95 ish. You pays your money............................................. ....

plainman007
18-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi Excalibur,

It works now. Might have been down at that time. My delaer has a Creative Card - Soundblaster 5.1VX. Is that a nice card to go ahead with ?

Thanks

Excalibur
18-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi Excalibur,

It works now. Might have been down at that time. My delaer has a Creative Card - Soundblaster 5.1VX. Is that a nice card to go ahead with ?

Thanks

If it's this http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=873&product=17751&listby= it's unnecesarily complicated. Ideally you need a 2.1 card, you'll have to tell it to run as a 2.0, cos you only want one stereo channel.
This one fits the bill, I've got no personal experience, but I think some on here use it.
http://cpc.farnell.com/trust/14134/sound-card-5-1-ext-usb/dp/CS11563?MER=e-bb45-00001003

Purely cos the connectivity suits me, I'd still recommend the one I said. Don't know about the supplier of course.

plainman007
18-06-2009, 07:31 PM
No its not that one. The one i mentioned can be seen on www.creative.com and its a normal ting like a graphics card.

DazzyD
18-06-2009, 08:55 PM
If it's the SB0270 I linked to, it's not high priced ( under £25 now) but in my view, excellent value. For top quality sound you're into Maya/Gigaport/M-Audio, but with a price of £75-£95 ish. You pays your money............................................. ....

No. Mine is the SB0490 or SoundBlaster Live! 24bit External (USB) for which there's a picture here:

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=206&prodID=10702&prodName=Live! 24-bit External&subCatName=Live!&CatName=Sound+Blaster

I think they're discontinued now but are still being supported with driver updates. They're worth buying if you can find one.

Excalibur
18-06-2009, 08:57 PM
No its not that one. The one i mentioned can be seen on www.creative.com and its a normal ting like a graphics card.

Whoa there, are you actually using a real live desktop PC? And intending to fit an INTERNAL sound card? External USB may be easier, but internal could be better.

No. Mine is the SB0490 or SoundBlaster Live! 24bit External (USB) for which there's a picture here:
I think they're discontinued now but are still being supported with driver updates. They're worth buying if you can find one.

According to piccies I've seen, it's very similar. I have seen some on Ebay, can't remember if they were new.

plainman007
22-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Excalibur > Hi,

I got my sound blaster 5.1vx card and fitted into the PC. I first tried listening with a pair of headphones and sound was very low even with most settings double checked and raised to full. It was like almost completely mute. I could barely hear music. It turns out in the device selector it has only 2.1 speaker, 4 speaker, and 5.1 speaker choices for output device. No headphones option. so anyway chose 2,1 and went ahead. Since volume was so low i assumed it was probably a completely un-preamped kind of signal and so fed it into my yamaha mixer with my crown hooked up to a pair of jbl pro 15s. I used a single pin to RCA red/white cable and intput that into the mixer. The sound was ok. Not bad. But not as good as i had expected either. Is it impossible to get CD quality sound from a PC ?

Also i noticed (a little too late) that the manual says all windows sound drivers must be uninstalled before even plugging the card into the slot and turning the system on. It doesnt even say how to uninstall the windows audio drivers.