PDA

View Full Version : Once over

Jiggles
20-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Can someone take a look over this http://cbentertainments.co.uk/newsite/index.php for spelling errors and general ease of use. Before I put it live. :D You all know what I'm like. Can't see the wood for the trees! :D

Cheers

rob1963
20-06-2009, 11:56 PM
No problem, Callum.

Home page:

"With Children's Parties being our specialty." The word with should not begin with a capital letter.

"take the time to have a look about our web site." I think it should say "take the time to have a look around our web site.

About us page:

"CB Entertainments is owned and ran by..." should be "CB Entertainments is owned and run by..."

"Hire can be viewen here" As far as I know, viewen is not a word.

Terms & conditions page:

"4. Non refundable booking fees will not be refunded." Isn't that stating the bleeding obvious?

"6. All roadshow equipment that is used is checked prior to arrival..." would sound better if changed to "All equipment is checked prior to arrival..."

"12. All outdoor events will require the event organizer to proved adequate protection against the weather." should be "provide adequate protection against the weather."

FAQ page:

"Can I choose my favourite songs to be played?

Yes. You are welcome to E-mail us with a list of your favourite songs, which we will endeavor to play for you to make yours a night to remember. Or if you prefer, just let us know"

You can't start a sentence with the word or.

"We have music streaching from the 60s to the 00s" needs changing to "We have music stretching from the 60s to the 00s"

"If power is to be supplyed by a genarator we must be informed before hand." needs changing to "If power is to be supplied by a generator we must be informed beforehand."

"What kind of disco doesn't come with lights!" the exclamation mark at the end needs replacing with a question mark.

"How long does the disco take to set-up?" The hyphen needs removing, as set up is two words.

Finally, in the recent updates on the left of your pages, "New Site is here!
After a wee while of playing with site lay ours and fiddling we can now unveil our latest layout!" I think that should say layout.

I think that's about it.

:)

Charlie Brown
21-06-2009, 01:16 AM
I like the website Callum but one or two things...:)

Would you really charge someone £20 to use your smoke machine!

The picture with 4 ladies and the caption "Dance the night away," in my personal opinion look a bit naf. I think you need a picture of a whole crowd dancing and not 4 ladies....apart from that I think it looks great.

Top effort :) :approve:

Jiggles
21-06-2009, 07:27 PM
No problem, Callum.
Terms & conditions page:

"4. Non refundable booking fees will not be refunded." Isn't that stating the bleeding obvious?

Doesn't it have to. :D All changes done. :d

I like the website Callum but one or two things...:)

Would you really charge someone £20 to use your smoke machine!

The picture with 4 ladies and the caption "Dance the night away," in my personal opinion look a bit naf. I think you need a picture of a whole crowd dancing and not 4 ladies....apart from that I think it looks great.

Top effort :) :approve:

I don't normally take the smoke out as its more of a pain than a help. If someone really wants it then they can pay more for it IMO.

As for the top banner a crowed made it look really busy and not very spacious.

rob1963
21-06-2009, 10:44 PM
No problem, Callum.

Terms & conditions page:

Doesn't it have to.

In that case, I'm adding something to my t & c stating "The deposit which you pay is a deposit"

:D :D :D

All changes done. :d

:thumbsup:

Jiggles
21-06-2009, 10:50 PM
In that case, I'm adding something to my t & c stating "The deposit which you pay is a deposit"

:D :D :D

Shadup! :D :zip: :p

Charlie Brown
21-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Sorry, I just feel that smoke enhances your lighting effects. It makes YOU and your light show look better...each to their own :)

Jiggles
21-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Sorry, I just feel that smoke enhances your lighting effects. It makes YOU and your light show look better...each to their own :)

I don't know tbh the last time i had it out was about 2 years ago! :D

rob1963
21-06-2009, 10:56 PM
I just feel that smoke enhances your lighting effects. It makes YOU and your light show look better.

It certainly makes ME look better...especially if I use enough of it so that nobody can see me!

:rofl:

Jiggles
21-06-2009, 10:57 PM
It certainly makes ME look better...especially if I use enough of it so that nobody can see me!

:rofl:

Dry ice waterfall. :sofa: Or a concrete wall.:p

rob1963
21-06-2009, 10:58 PM
the last time i had it out was about 2 years ago! :D

What about your smoke machine?

:eek:

Jiggles
21-06-2009, 10:59 PM
What about your smoke machine?

:eek:

Chances are its nacked. :bang:

Dynamic Entertainment
22-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Looks good Callum, cant find anything that hasnt been said.

Just one thing (and i dont want to question how you do things), but, i think, an over time rate of "per half hour" instead of hourly would be more benificial. I started off with hourly at £20 and changed it to £10 per half hour, you'll be surprised how many people have gone for that extra halp hour, whilst the hour whould have been too long. :)

Marc J
22-06-2009, 02:38 PM
On PA Hire page: -

Our new PA package can be sued for any purpose. From shop openings to a prize giving!

The package conisits of 2 Mackie SRM 450 Active speakers, Two wireless microphones and if required a connection for a music player (iPod, MP3 Player CD Player etc) More Microphones can be added if required.
Should be: -

Our new PA package can be used for any purpose, from shop openings to a prize giving!

The package consists of two Mackie SRM 450 Active speakers, two wireless microphones and, if required, a connection for a music player (iPod, MP3 Player, CD Player etc). More microphones can be added if required.

Larry B Entertainment
22-06-2009, 02:56 PM
The site looks good but as mentioned above, hceck yoru spellinge :D

Jiggles
22-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Looks good Callum, cant find anything that hasnt been said.

Just one thing (and i dont want to question how you do things), but, i think, an over time rate of "per half hour" instead of hourly would be more benificial. I started off with hourly at £20 and changed it to £10 per half hour, you'll be surprised how many people have gone for that extra halp hour, whilst the hour whould have been too long. :)

Sounds good. Changed :D

On PA Hire page: -

Should be: -

Our new PA package can be used for any purpose, from shop openings to a prize giving!

The package consists of two Mackie SRM 450 Active speakers, two wireless microphones and, if required, a connection for a music player (iPod, MP3 Player, CD Player etc). More microphones can be added if required.

Cheers Marc

The site looks good but as mentioned above, hceck yoru spellinge :D

Lets say I'm re-sitting English! :D :D

SC Events
22-06-2009, 04:27 PM
The package consists of two Mackie SRM 450 Active speakers, two wireless microphones and, if required, a connection for a music player (iPod, MP3 Player, CD Player etc) More microphones can be added if required

I'm no grammatical genius, but my English teacher told me, when I was at school, that you should never, ever, ever, ever put a 'comma' after 'and'.

Is this true?

Marc J
22-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm no grammatical genius, but my English teacher told me, when I was at school, that you should never, ever, ever, ever put a 'comma' after 'and'.

Is this true?

Well, in any text like that quoted I would always put the "if required" between commas, meaning the whole sentence could be read without the conditional clause and still make perfect sense.

Going by the quotes here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-58104,00.html) it seems it's OK to do so in these cases...

Rowleys
22-06-2009, 04:50 PM
i seen this

Soft drinks will be provided by the client for the DJ and DJs assistant for the duration of the performance.

does this mean they have to give you soft drink all night free ??

Dynamic Entertainment
22-06-2009, 05:02 PM
I seem to remember an argument regarding these types of clauses in T&Cs in the not to distant past. You may have opened a can of worms here Dave :D

Jiggles
22-06-2009, 05:10 PM
So a :Censored: search for it :D

rob1963
22-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I seem to remember an argument regarding these types of clauses in T&Cs in the not to distant past.

Me too.

What's so hard about taking your own drink like I do?

Asking the client to provide free drinks all night for the DJ AND their assistant is bang out of order in my opinion.

Imagine going up to the client with your assistant & saying "Hi...we'd like the first of our free drinks now please"

Unbelievable.

Rowleys
22-06-2009, 05:14 PM
PLEASE REPOST WITH OUT TEXT TALK!!!!

Dynamic Entertainment
22-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Eh..engwish please :D

Charlie Brown
22-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Isn't £10 per half hour a tad cheap! I charge around £39.50 per half hour....Rob is £50 I believe?

rob1963
22-06-2009, 05:20 PM
PLEASE REPOST WITH OUT TEXT TALK!!!!

:confused:

Isn't £10 per half hour a tad cheap! I charge around £39.50 per half hour....Rob is £50 I believe?

I charge £60 per hour for overtime, mainly because it equates to £1 a minute, so 15 minutes is £15, 30 minutes is £30 etc.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Cheers Charlie...youve inadvertently started a "You cant charge that round here" discussion! :D

It depends on the area. I dont mind the £10 per half hour as by the end of a gig im wide awake anyway so its extra pocketmoney. I know others who charge £20-30 per half hour and never ever get overtime.

Rob i would happily charge £60 per hour overtime, but i loose out to the £60 brigade a hell of a lot anyway (and some even less, i recently heard of one guy charging £40 a night :eek:) so i woud never get away with it. Even in the lakes £200-250 is the maximum (there are exceptions mind, but not many)

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Me too.

What's so hard about taking your own drink like I do?

Asking the client to provide free drinks all night for the DJ AND their assistant is bang out of order in my opinion.

Imagine going up to the client with your assistant & saying "Hi...we'd like the first of our free drinks now please"

Unbelievable.

Not unbelievable at all.

If you are there for a long time, then it is no big thing for the client to provide light refreshments. Look at all other wedding suppliers that are around on the day - photographers, videographers etc, they all get food and drink.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Not unbelievable at all.

If you are there for a long time, then it is no big thing for the client to provide light refreshments. Look at all other wedding suppliers that are around on the day - photographers, videographers etc, they all get food and drink.

Too true. I was doing a wedding last year where the photograghers were the first round the buffet table :eek:

rob1963
22-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Not unbelievable at all.

Do your own t&c demand free drinks all night for you and your assistant then?

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Do your own t&c demand free drinks all night for you and your assistant then?

I don't demand anything. I stipulate that if we are there more than 5 hours, then light refreshments must be provided.

Babybob
22-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Well if i'm paying £395 for a 5 hour show (£79/hr) I certainly would'nt be impressed if I had to buy your soft drinks all night.

To be honest if I was looking for a disco and there were a few in your area that may be one of the things that would put me off, not because i'm a tight wad or anything but more because it comes across as a bit cheeky.

Various members always use plumbers or electricians and the like to compare with but i've never had a plumber quote me to fix my leaky tap and stipulate that I must make him a bacon sarnie and a cup of tea. :D ;)

rob1963
22-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't demand anything. I stipulate that if we are there more than 5 hours, then light refreshments must be provided.

Fair enough.

Out of interest, how does it feel every time you go up to the client to ask for another free drink or more food for you & your assistant?

I'm just curious Darren, as I simply couldn't do that...even if it WAS in my t&c.

:shrug:

Dynamic Entertainment
22-06-2009, 06:25 PM

Thatmore open ended. Could be as simple as "grab some buffet lads"...whch usually happens anyway. Like you say, its surprising how many people/"professionals" get the works.

Ive (and im sure you all have) seen photographers/musicians get a full sit down meal out if the day.

rob1963
22-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Well if i'm paying £395 for a 5 hour show (£79/hr) I certainly would'nt be impressed if I had to buy your soft drinks all night.

To be honest if I was looking for a disco and there were a few in your area that may be one of the things that would put me off, not because i'm a tight wad or anything but more because it comes across as a bit cheeky.

Various members always use plumbers or electricians and the like to compare with but i've never had a plumber quote me to fix my leaky tap and stipulate that I must make him a bacon sarnie and a cup of tea. :D ;)

My thoughts exactly.

If we're charging £300+ for a disco, surely we can afford 50p for a drink from the supermarket?

In most cases, I'm offered food anyway...without having anything about it in my t&c

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 06:30 PM

Completely different thing. We are talking about our industry, not anyone elses.

Ever heard of a rider before?

Musicians use them all the time. At weddings, photographers and vidoegraphers as well as Toastmasters all get food and drink.

OllieJames
22-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Completely different thing. We are talking about our industry, not anyone elses.

Musicians use them all the time. At weddings, photographers and vidoegraphers as well as Toastmasters all get food and drink.

My mum's rider includes something about providing snacks & drink for her and the rest of the band members.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Fair enough.

Out of interest, how does it feel every time you go up to the client to ask for another free drink or more food for you & your assistant?

I'm just curious Darren, as I simply couldn't do that...even if it WAS in my t&c.

:shrug:

Funny what a short memory you have Rob, when it suits you.

When you roadied for me, it was an all day function and both of us got fed a hot meal. I don't remember you turning that down.....

Babybob
22-06-2009, 06:40 PM

My point was that some members on here refer to other industries when we try to defend our own industry when it comes to charging what we believe we are worth.

If the T&C's stated that soft drinks were a requirement for a wedding then fair enough as it's pretty usual to be offered these anyway, but what about a Birthday or Engagement party, why should they buy a supplier of entertainment soft drinks.

rob1963
22-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Funny what a short memory you have Rob, when it suits you.

Not at all.

When you roadied for me, it was an all day function and both of us got fed a hot meal. I don't remember you turning that down.....

I remember that very well, Darren...and very nice it was too.

I also remember you taking your own bottles of drink for us both, rather than asking the client to provide us with drinks!

Rowleys
22-06-2009, 07:07 PM
SH*T i have started somthink now

Sorry

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Not at all.

I remember that very well, Darren...and very nice it was too.

I also remember you taking your own bottles of drink for us both, rather than asking the client to provide us with drinks!

I didn't say I 'enforce' the T&Cs Rob and generally do take my own drinks as has been documented on here on several occasions. However if I ran out or was particularly desperate then I'd have something to fall back on.

This doesn't just look after me, but the others who work for me too.

Babybob
22-06-2009, 07:16 PM
However if I ran out or was particularly desperate then I'd have something to fall back on.

If I was particularly desperate for a drink i'd dip into the £400 I had been paid to buy myself one. ;) :D :beer1: :beer1:

Rowleys
22-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I no where some people are coming from ..

most gigs i do i get the payment as the end of the night

So if i come out pot i as the bar for a glass of water lol

Jiggles
22-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Wow this thread has well and truly veered off track. :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 07:23 PM
If I was particularly desperate for a drink i'd dip into the £400 I had been paid to buy myself one. ;) :D :beer1: :beer1:

What is your problem? I'm starting to get a bit peeved with your constant remarks about pricing.

And no, I am not going to believe the "It's my sense of humour" story again.

rob1963
22-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I didn't say I 'enforce' the T&Cs Rob and generally do take my own drinks as has been documented on here on several occasions. However if I ran out or was particularly desperate then I'd have something to fall back on.

That's fair enough.

In the real world, I take my own drink and am nearly always offered food anyway.

On the rare occasions when I'm NOT offered food, I can easily make do with the bottle of water I always take with me, as I find I perspire a lot at gigs, so drink is very important, but food is not.

Whether we enforce it is one thing, but I'd just feel awkward about having it in my terms & conditions in the first place. I'm sure I'd get some funny comments if I did.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I'm sure I'd get some funny comments if I did.

No-one has ever questioned it with mine. :)

rob1963
22-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, then. :shrug:

I just wouldn't want to put it to the test!

Babybob
22-06-2009, 07:34 PM
What is your problem? I'm starting to get a bit peeved with your constant remarks about pricing.

And no, I am not going to believe the "It's my sense of humour" story again.

What are you talking about Darren, my opinion (which you state very frequently in your responses) is that I find it a bit cheeky to ask for refreshments in t&c's when the disco in question (whoever it may be) is charging £395 (check out Callum's overtime rate @£39.50/half hour).

I am loathe to post what we actually get for a disco in my part of South Wales as I will open a can of worms on pricing that was why I made the comment about spending some of the £400 that some lucky Dj's are paid in their neck of the woods.

As for the constant remarks, is 2 remarks regarded as constant or has everyone got to fall in line with your way of thinking, you constantly tell people on here that it is your opinion and rightly so but as soon as someone else has an opinion which differs to yours you give it the old "I'm tired of your.......(insert phrase here)" spiel.

Sorry if I offended you on the pricing thing but it was based on facts.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I am loathe to post what we actually get for a disco in my part of South Wales as I will open a can of worms on pricing that was why I made the comment about spending some of the £400 that some lucky Dj's are paid in their neck of the woods.

Yawn. Plenty of DJs earn great money where you are. And it's nothing to do with being lucky - it's a a lot of hard work and patience in some cases.

As for the constant remarks, is 2 remarks regarded as constant or has everyone got to fall in line with your way of thinking, you constantly tell people on here that it is your opinion and rightly so but as soon as someone else has an opinion which differs to yours you give it the old "I'm tired of your.......(insert phrase here)" spiel.

What a load of crap. There are plenty of people who I disagree with on here and still stay friendly with. This forum is all about opinions. However, I don't like snidey, snipey comments and you do that all the time. No-one has to 'fall in line' with my thinking. Some people like you have their own way of doing things and opinons which is fair enough. I want to move the industry on and make the public think of us as professionals.

Sorry if I offended you on the pricing thing but it was based on facts.

What facts?

Babybob
22-06-2009, 07:43 PM

Ok i'm going to ask what I think is a fair question....

Do you think that potential clients may not have booked you after reading your T&C's regarding the refreshments issue.

I know it may be impossible to answer but when I read Callum's site I did find it a bit off putting to say the least and for the sake of a couple of quid I would not have it in there bearing in mind that most decent clients will offer you refreshments anyway.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Do you think that potential clients may not have booked you after reading your T&C's regarding the refreshments issue.

Do you DJ every week?

Do you ever do all days weddings?

Do you protect yourself as well as your client with a contract?

I have never had a client not book because of that clause. When people book, I send them a contract with all the details on including T&Cs. If it doesn't come back within 2 weeks I ring to ask if there's a problem. Not one has ever said they have changed their mind because of that clause.

Babybob
22-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Yawn. Plenty of DJs earn great money where you are. And it's nothing to do with being lucky - it's a a lot of hard work and patience in some cases.

What a load of crap. There are plenty of people who I disagree with on here and still stay friendly with. This forum is all about opinions. However, I don't like snidey, snipey comments and you do that all the time. No-one has to 'fall in line' with my thinking. Some people like you have their own way of doing things and opinons which is fair enough. I want to move the industry on and make the public think of us as professionals.

What facts?

Perhaps my snidey, snipey comments hit a nerve with you and you don't like it, you make many many snidey comments on here Darren and get away with it because you own the site.

FACTS.....Read Callum's post earlier about his £39.50 per half hour charge, that is a fact which I based my assumption on.

I applaud your efforts in making the industry as professional as possible but when you read T&C's like the refreshment one then it is hard to understand, that is why I made the comment earlier about the other "professional" industries which do not have such absurd clauses in their T&C's.

I challenge anyone to find any other profession other than entertainment to find that type of clause.

Babybob
22-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Do you DJ every week?

Do you ever do all days weddings?

Do you protect yourself as well as your client with a contract?

I have never had a client not book because of that clause. When people book, I send them a contract with all the details on including T&Cs. If it doesn't come back within 2 weeks I ring to ask if there's a problem. Not one has ever said they have changed their mind because of that clause.

The question was aimed at a client looking at your website.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Perhaps my snidey, snipey comments hit a nerve with you and you don't like it, you make many many snidey comments on here Darren and get away with it because you own the site.

Hit a nerve? Yeah, right. Get on my nerves maybe... :D I don't 'get away' with anything and I certainly don't make those kinds of comments. If I have something to say, then I say it. I don't make silly jealous comments about pricing. Now leave it there please.

challenge anyone to find any other profession other than entertainment to find that type of clause.

But this is in the entertainment industry, so why would you want to compare the T&Cs from another industry? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 07:57 PM
The question was aimed at a client looking at your website.

IN which case it was a pointless question as I cannot mind read what people looking at my website are thinking...

Babybob
22-06-2009, 08:01 PM
IN which case it was a pointless question as I cannot mind read what people looking at my website are thinking...

I did say it could be impossible to answer but what if many of the members on here tended to agree with the assumption that it sounded a bit cheeky, would you consider changing it.

The reason I mentioned the other industries is because there are loads of instances on this forum where members say things like "would a plumber come out and check your leaky tap for free, so why should we underprice ourselves" it's hard to put into words but I hope people get my meaning.

Jiggles
22-06-2009, 08:01 PM
FACTS.....Read Callum's post earlier about his £39.50 per half hour charge, that is a fact which I based my assumption on.

Guess again! :bang:

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I did say it could be impossible to answer but what if many of the members on here tended to agree with the assumption that it sounded a bit cheeky, would you consider changing it.

Why would I consider changing my business practises 'cos a few people disagreed with them?

This isn't some game I'm playing here - it's my livelihood.

Babybob
22-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Hit a nerve? Yeah, right. Get on my nerves maybe... :D I don't 'get away' with anything and I certainly don't make those kinds of comments. If I have something to say, then I say it. I don't make silly jealous comments about pricing. Now leave it there please.

My comments are not about jealousy, I earn enough money in my day job to be able to never do a disco again and i'm glad that other members can earn that sort of money as it can only benefit the industry due to the quality of the show matching the price.

Again to re-iterate I was not making the comment about what people earn but using Charlie's overtime figure to illustrate that he could potentially earn nearly £400 for a 5 hour gig and yet still expect clients to buy him soft drinks, now this is only my opinion but I do find it a bit cheeky.

I will leave it there now Darren as I feel you may have misunderstood my point but I was not about to leave it there just because you said so.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I will leave it there now Darren as I feel you may have misunderstood my point but I was not about to leave it there just because you said so.

Perhaps you might like to remind yourself of this rule.

29. Instructions by the Moderators and Administrators must be followed. :D

Babybob
22-06-2009, 08:11 PM

My apologies Callum, I had you mixed up with Charlie.:o

Babybob
22-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Perhaps you might like to remind yourself of this rule.

29. Instructions by the Moderators and Administrators must be followed. :D

Noted.

I was only replying to your comment about "silly jealous comments" which I can assure was not the case.

I realise it's your livelihood and you are obviously doing a lot of things right but I deal in an industry of continuous improvement that is why I asked the question. If you (or anyone else) were to sit back and not analyse your business practices for any length of time then you would soon fall behind the competition, so perhaps little things like getting feedback from trusted friends or clients on your business or even comments on here from forum members will help everyone to adjust or fine tune their business practice.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Noted.

I was only replying to your comment about "silly jealous comments" which I can assure was not the case.

Then why would you mention people's prices and the fact that they asked for refreshments in their T&Cs in the same sentence as mentioning that DJs get rubbish money where you are?

Babybob
22-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Then why would you mention people's prices and the fact that they asked for refreshments in their T&Cs in the same sentence as mentioning that DJs get rubbish money where you are?

Not once have I mentioned that we get rubbish money, although I did state that we don't get as much as DJ's in more affluent parts of the country.

Regardless of what you charge it is my opinion that it comes across as a bit cheeky to ask for refreshments when we are paid to provide a service.

Rowleys
22-06-2009, 08:51 PM
btw your website looks really good tho

hope it works out for you

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Not once have I mentioned that we get rubbish money, although I did state that we don't get as much as DJ's in more affluent parts of the country.

Speak to Pete Stead on here or speak to a man called Mark Weller. I know they will disagree with what you have said.

Charlie Brown
22-06-2009, 08:55 PM
btw your website looks really good tho

hope it works out for you

Yeah, I agree. This thread was to help Callum and his website and not to have a minor dispute. :)

Babybob
22-06-2009, 09:10 PM
They may do but I'll bet they live about 50 miles from me, and if Pete is Soundmaster Disco then he's based in Monmouthshire which is a very affluent area.
I don't want to get into the debate about travelling for miles as i'm not in it for the money but if my day job was under threat I would be prepared to market myself and travel as far as was needed but there simply isn't any money reasonably close to me.

I recently quoted £200 for an evening wedding reception at a Golf club about 15 miles down the road just outside Bridgend, I was told I was too expensive.
I have seen and been told by various proprietors about the amount of absolutely rubbish DJ's in our area, they are predominantly young boys around 20 odd year old who sit behind the decks and text mates etc, everything that constitutes a rubbish DJ can be found in and around my area.

Since I have visited this forum I have improved the look and sound of my rig and I can safely say I am head and shoulders above the DJ's I have just mentioned but people just want cheap entertainment. I am trying very hard to promote myself locally as that's what I want to do but as you all know it's a long hard struggle to establish yourself as a quality outfit.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 09:19 PM
But just because you aren't getting the money you ask for, it doesn't mean others aren't. There are people round here who say they can't get more than £200 too and in all other areas of the country no doubt.

Babybob
22-06-2009, 09:26 PM
You are no doubt correct in that assumption but I can only go on my experience here and what I have charged and been baulked at when I mention what I deem to be a fair price.

I only hope my performances will earn me a decent name around the area and the fact that I am trying to offer a professional service but it all takes time as we all know.

Anyway i'm going home....sorry if I offended anyone or stirred up some trouble but as you know the written word does not always portray what can be said in speech.

Night all....

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm not offended and yes, you are right about the written word.

ppentertainments
22-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Can't help but wade in here.

As far as refreshments go I can't see anything wrong with adding the request to your T&C's. I personally don't but it is personal preference only. When I offer my photography and disco package then yes, it is stipulated that light refreshments are required, usually helping myself to the buffet. I think the main problem is that in this industry we are AFRAID to ask. I have no hesitation in asking when undertaking photography yet do when entertaining. To put this into context my basic photograpy package (which is the one I usually sell) includes 3 hours of photography and cutting of the cake. A disco package is normally about 7 hours work :confused: :confused:

Pricing - the great debate. Babybob, Darren is correct, there are DJ's earning good money everywhere in the country. Not getting into arguments, but I believe I live in one of the poorest areas in the country, yet myself and a handful of others in the area do go out for decent money.
How - the way you market yourself and having the confidence to ask what you are worth are the biggest factors. I will agree with you (and probably get shot down for it :D ) that in certain areas there are fewer opportunities and the 'average' price will be lower, but nevertheless there are still plenty of opportunities for higher paid work if you work at it and market correctly.

One thing you touched on was travelling. This is where you need to make your decision about taking higher paid gigs. If you do live in a poor area, travel out of that area. Last year I concentrated on my local area and was geting paid peanuts, yet after advice from a couple of local DJ's started travelling further. Yes it is a longer day but the money makes it worth it (so long as you take your time and fuel into account) and lets face it, what else would you be doing ?? As an example, I have a gig in Edinburgh this Saturday 120 miles away. An extra 4 hours on my day and £££ for diesel BUT I am earning good money, even more than the £400 you quoted earlier. I could take this, or go out for £60 in a local hotel or club.

Vectis
23-06-2009, 08:14 AM
As far as refreshments go I can't see anything wrong with adding the request to your T&C's.

I ummed and aahed about this for a while and eventually went with

"If your event requires the DJ to play for more than 3 hours without a break, we respectfully request that soft drinks are offered."

Since doing this, I've been inundated with drinks at most gigs as it's obvious the organiser has instructed someone (best man usually) to make sure we're watered and yet no-one has queried it or even mentioned it at prep meetings. Whether anyone's taken umbrage and not booked as a result I've no idea but my non-returned booking pack stats are level.

Darren is correct, there are DJ's earning good money everywhere in the country.

I certainly DO live in one of the areas with lowest average earnings and highest unemployment etc. and whilst my headline prices are certainly a bit lower than just over the water, my actual earnings are very respectable due to the level of service offered and willingness to get involved in lots of different aspects of a celebration turning the booking from 'just the disco' into an all-day multi-faceted affair.

It's rare that I take much less than £300 NETT from a wedding booking and on a couple of occasions this year we've nudged £1k.

If you do live in a poor area, travel out of that area.

Rather difficult for me, and introduces an unacceptable risk. Although the ferries are only stopped by bad weather a few times a year, they're regularly stopped or seriously delayed by "operational reasons" and with Saturdays being the main changeover days for holidaymakers there's little chance of altering travel arrangements at short notice.

Negating the risk means overnight stays and this stuffs the overall package cost.

Jiggles
24-06-2009, 11:12 PM
On the matter of the supply of drinks! I had a customer say to me tonight "Yes that's not problem about the drinks." I was not expecting them to come out with that! :eek: So yes you can put it in and its works! :ner: