PDA

View Full Version : And my choice is.....RCF !

Spirits High
24-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Further to my thread on RCF's I went down to HTF today and Adam kindly demo'd various speakers.

The ones demo'd were:

Rcf 312a (350w)

Mackie SRM450's V2 (450w)

QSC HPR 1221 (500w)

JBL Eon 515

I know this will open (probably) another can of worms but I went with th RCF's just ahead of the QSC's.

Soundwise it was great to get a side by side comparison. To listen to the Mckie and RCF next to each other there was no competition. For me the Mackie was too "harsh" with the top end . The RCF was my prefered sound.

I was nearly swayed by the QSC but unfortunately it was nearly as heavy if not slightly more than my current PSR15a's :eek: I liked the sound from it alot, but wasn't prepared to keep doing my back in.

The JBL's were over budget although a didn't find it a "warm" sound so wouldn't have got them anyway.

So there you go.

I went for the RCF's and look forward to using them for the next couple of years at least.

flatliners
24-06-2009, 07:38 PM
welcome to the club may you and your rcfs have many happy gigs together

pagan_flame
24-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Further to my thread on RCF's I went down to HTF today and Adam kindly demo'd various speakers.

Soundwise it was great to get a side by side comparison. To listen to the Mckie and RCF next to each other there was no competition. For me the Mackie was too "harsh" with the top end . The RCF was my prefered sound.

Was that with a flat EQ, out of interest? Low Cut or Contour buttons in at all...? (I :heart1: my Mackies)

CRAZY K
24-06-2009, 09:56 PM

The ones demo'd were:

Rcf 312a (350w)

Mackie SRM450's V2 (450w)

QSC HPR 1221 (500w)

JBL Eon 515

I know this will open (probably) another can of worms but I went with th RCF's just ahead of the QSC's.

I was nearly swayed by the QSC but unfortunately it was nearly as heavy if not slightly more than my current PSR15a's :eek: I liked the sound from it alot, but wasn't prepared to keep doing my back in.

The JBL's were over budget although a didn't find it a "warm" sound so wouldn't have got them anyway.

So there you go.

I went for the RCF's and look forward to using them for the next couple of years at least.

You didnt go for the 15inch speaker Paul?

Any reason--apart from cost?

ALAN
CRAZY K

Adam_F
24-06-2009, 09:58 PM

Was good to catch up mate.
Glad the visit was worthwhile.

I'll PM you tomorrow at some point, was rushed off my feet 'till 6 :(

Did two other side by side demos with the SRM 450 v2 & the RCF Art 312s as they were out, and both customers bought the RCF's, so earnt my wages for today :D

Was that with a flat EQ, out of interest? Low Cut or Contour buttons in at all...? (I :heart1: my Mackies)

Either way, side by side, there's a huge difference, with the RCF outperforming in clarity, tightness and bass.

Dynamic Entertainment
24-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Did two other side by side demos with the SRM 450 v2 & the RCF Art 312s as they were out, and both customers bought the RCF's, so earnt my wages for today :D

Had i known you were on commision Adam, i would have asked for you when i got mine :D :D

The RCF really are the dogs dangaly bits. I was a bit aprihensive at first because i'd only ever used old RCF stuff that was a tad rubbish. But these are quality. I nuse the 312s on their own a fair bit paul and they are sweet...even better with a bass bin in the set-up. Future purchase maybe?

Adam_F
24-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Had i known you were on commision Adam, i would have asked for you when i got mine :D :D

I wish I did mate, it was just a tongue in cheek comment.

Whether I sell an RCA to RCA cable or 20 RCF cabs, I get :Censored: all :(

Twinspin
24-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Another happy RCF user then. They will serve you well. Ive had mine now about a year. I upgraded from the SRM450s as many know.

Im glad i did

The ART 705 bin for that extra bottom end is a must when funds allow. It is one of the best active subs out there and will sound lovely with the 312A's

Excalibur
24-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Another happy RCF user then. They will serve you well. Ive had mine now about a year. I upgraded from the SRM450s as many know.

Im glad i did

The ART 705 bin for that extra bottom end is a must when funds allow. It is one of the best active subs on the market and will sound lovely with the 312A's

Absolutely. ;) With that rig you can get busted for excessive noise , no trouble. ;)

Twinspin
24-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Oops :p

:Embarassed:

JAMdisco
25-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Absolutely. ;) With that rig you can get busted for excessive noise , no trouble. ;)

So could you Peter with all 192 speakers out :D

When I get my new Class-d subs I'd like to do a side by side trial with John's RCF's :p :p :D

CRAZY K
25-06-2009, 08:13 AM
So could you Peter with all 192 speakers out :D

When I get my new Class-d subs I'd like to do a side by side trial with John's RCF's :p :p :D

Which subs are you buying Justin?

Alan
CRAZY K

Spirits High
25-06-2009, 08:24 AM

They were all on a flat Eq, did play with the RCF's contour button after deciding they were the ones ;)

You didnt go for the 15inch speaker Paul?

Any reason--apart from cost?

ALAN
CRAZY K

Apart from cost it was size thing, I was trying to get something smaller and easier to transport than my current PSR15a's. But one thing in their favour was how light they were.

Was good to catch up mate.
Glad the visit was worthwhile.

I'll PM you tomorrow at some point, was rushed off my feet 'till 6 :(

Either way, side by side, there's a huge difference, with the RCF outperforming in clarity, tightness and bass.

Very worthwhile, I'll be down again as it only took an hour and 10mins ish :D

The RCF really are the dogs dangaly bits. I was a bit aprihensive at first because i'd only ever used old RCF stuff that was a tad rubbish. But these are quality. I use the 312s on their own a fair bit paul and they are sweet...even better with a bass bin in the set-up. Future purchase maybe?

Sub is on the "to do" list. I currently have a 1501 so will use that if pushed for the time being. However I'll be selling the PSR's, so will put the 1501 up for sale at the same time and with a bit of luck and a few more pennies I'll be giving Adam a call for the sub :D

Dynamic Entertainment
25-06-2009, 09:56 AM
I wish I did mate, it was just a tongue in cheek comment.

Whether I sell an RCA to RCA cable or 20 RCF cabs, I get :Censored: all :(

Gutted. Ive got a mate who used to work in a musical instrument shop up here and they worked on commision, the only dowside was he was on Guitars and he had to sell 10 guitars compared to a colleague selling one decent keyboard.

Sub is on the "to do" list. I currently have a 1501 so will use that if pushed for the time being. However I'll be selling the PSR's, so will put the 1501 up for sale at the same time and with a bit of luck and a few more pennies I'll be giving Adam a call for the sub :D

You wont be dissapointed. BTW If you want cheap, but decent looking, slip on covers for them then have a look at www.hotcovers.co.uk Piccys in this threads http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19966&highlight=www.hotcovers.co.uk

Spirits High
25-06-2009, 10:51 AM
BTW If you want cheap, but decent looking, slip on covers for them then have a look at www.hotcovers.co.uk Piccys in this threads http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19966&highlight=www.hotcovers.co.uk

Cheers for the steer on covers. They look very smart ;)

Penfold42
25-06-2009, 11:43 AM
For me the Mackie was too "harsh" with the top end .

:eek:
Harsh eh?.....not to harsh enough for Saturday night though...:boxer2:

:D

Shaun
25-06-2009, 12:05 PM
BTW If you want cheap, but decent looking, slip on covers for them then have a look at www.hotcovers.co.uk Piccys in this threads http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19966&highlight=www.hotcovers.co.uk

I took delivery of my 'Hot Covers' last week. The quality is outstanding. Great quality, great service...and a great price. :5star:

Dynamic Entertainment
25-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I took delivery of my 'Hot Covers' last week. The quality is outstanding. Great quality, great service...and a great price. :5star:

You had chance to play with the speakers yet then Shaun?

Twinspin
25-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I got asked to Turn my bass down a bit by the managers assistant in the hotel.

Just goes to show how powerful 1 one of those RCF subs are.

BRING IT ON :D :p :D :p :D :p

JAMdisco
25-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Which subs are you buying Justin?

Alan
CRAZY K

A pair of these (http://www.classd.ltd.uk/pro-audio-m-15_professional-concert-bass-bin.html). From what Peter (and the guys at class-d) says, they're as good as an 18" sub.

BRING IT ON :D :p :D :p :D :p

You'll no doubt beat me on volume, but clarity, well that's another thing altogether. We shall see when I get em. :D :D :D

Penfold42
25-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Willy Waving alert....:sj:

JAMdisco
25-06-2009, 02:08 PM

Well if you've got it..... :D

Spirits High
25-06-2009, 02:11 PM
:eek:
Harsh eh?.....not to harsh enough for Saturday night though...:boxer2:

Just doing my bit for charity :p :p :D

Penfold42
25-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Just doing my bit for charity :p :p :D

You saucy git....:boxer2:

Twinspin
25-06-2009, 04:19 PM
You'll no doubt beat me on volume, but clarity, well that's another thing altogether. We shall see when I get em. :D :D :D

dont you mean the other way round. Its an RCF ART 705 sub your talking about:) :p :D

may win on the loudness but probably not Clarity.

Shaun
25-06-2009, 04:27 PM
You had chance to play with the speakers yet then Shaun?

Had a School gig last night, so got to have a play with the 715's. The subs will get their first outing over the weekend.

The first thing I noticed was how much lighter they are compared to my Mackie actives. Sound wise the RCF's had a warmer feel, a lot less harsh sounding than the Mackies. The 15" drivers provided plenty of bass which means I'll get away without using subs for the majority of my gigs. All in all, I'm impressed thus far.

Excalibur
25-06-2009, 07:41 PM

What? Those piddly things? :confused: Pah. Now when I get a pair of these, that will be willy waving.

http://www.classd.ltd.uk/pro-audio-e-218.html

:p :p :D :D :D

Mark Wild
25-06-2009, 08:34 PM
What? Those piddly things? :confused: Pah. Now when I get a pair of these, that will be willy waving.

I doubt much willy waving will be going on after loading 210 kg's of Class d's in and out of a venue.

JAMdisco
25-06-2009, 08:49 PM
dont you mean the other way round. Its an RCF ART 705 sub your talking about:) :p :D

may win on the loudness but probably not Clarity.

We'll see young man, we'll see :p :p :p :D

Of course if you get them, I will gladly roadtest them (providing you transport them too) :D

I doubt much willy waving will be going on after loading 210 kg's of Class d's in and out of a venue.

I quite agree and at Peter's age he should be looking after his back now, plenty of cod liver oil and spinich ala popeye :D :D :D

Twinspin
25-06-2009, 09:17 PM
We'll see young man, we'll see :p :p :p :D

Looks like im going to need a set of Earplugs otherwise ill end up with Tinnitus :p :p :D :D

Cj_The_Dj
27-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Paul what the main reason your getting rid of the w-audio is it just the weight? also what you doing with them?

Spirits High
28-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Paul what the main reason your getting rid of the w-audio is it just the weight? also what you doing with them?

The weight was one of the factors. I also wanted to stream line the show abit.

As for what's happening to them. I'm pretty sure they've got a new home in my local, although I will check with the landlord tomorrow night as he was a little bit "merry" on thursday when we discussed it :D

Shaun
28-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Finally got the chance to try out my new RCF subs over the weekend. WOW, they were a lot louder and deeper sounding than I was expecting!

I had them turned down really low, and they still gave an impressive rumble. I'm impressed.

flatliners
08-07-2009, 08:34 PM
And there was me who used to get wrong for posting about rcfs lol
well not so much wrong but nice to see some people are starting to use rcf

Spirits High
19-07-2009, 05:25 PM
As an update there may be a slight change of plan :eek:

The 312's have now been on order for 2 weeks. I know Adam is doing his best to get them in and then out to me soonest but there may be a slight problem

Knowing that the 312's were supposedly arriving last week I went and sold the PSR's to Andy (DJ Indie) :eek: :eek:

Now before you all jump on me about doing something silly selling the PA before the new lot arrives, don't worry I've not left myself without any PA. I still have the smaller PSR's and also a wharfdale passive set up.

I didn't have a gig this weekend so no great shakes however next weekend I've got a marquee wedding and although the wharfdales would be up to the job they look a little bit tired so astecally wouldn't really fit the venue.

So what's my point :D

I'm thinking of getting the 712's :eek: instead of the 3's as these are in stock.

Anyone use the 7 series if so can I have a report please :D

Shaun
19-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Anyone use the 7 series if so can I have a report please :D

I use the 7 series (715's). Superb sound, very lightweight, look great. What else do you want to know? :)

Spirits High
19-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I use the 7 series (715's). Superb sound, very lightweight, look great. What else do you want to know? :)

Thought you did but wasn't sure ;)

It would be the 712's not 15's

I think the main question is are they worth the £600 ish more than the 3's?

They would be running with out subs at the moment as the budget would stretch to a pair of 712's but not subs ....for a couple of months anyway :D

Shaun
19-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Thought you did but wasn't sure ;)

It would be the 712's not 15's

I think the main question is are they worth the £600 ish more than the 3's?

They would be running with out subs at the moment as the budget would stretch to a pair of 712's but not subs ....for a couple of months anyway :D

I can't really comment on if they're worth more than the 3's. I haven't heard the 3s'...or the 712's for that matter. The 715's sound very beefy with plenty of bottom end. I'd imagine the 712's would be pretty similar. :)

Spirits High
19-07-2009, 05:59 PM
I can't really comment on if they're worth more than the 3's. I haven't heard the 3s'...or the 712's for that matter. The 715's sound very beefy with plenty of bottom end. I'd imagine the 712's would be pretty similar. :)

Thanks Shaun

It could all be imaterial though if when I phone Adam tomorrow the 312's have arrived ;)

Penfold42
19-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks Shaun

It could all be imaterial though if when I phone Adam tomorrow the 312's have arrived ;)

Should have bought Mackies. :bag: :whiteflag: :tiptoe:

Excalibur
19-07-2009, 06:09 PM

NG19 9BG. ;) :sofa:

Spirits High
19-07-2009, 06:15 PM

Did you not read that they're harsh :p :p In my opinion :D

Might need to trial a pair next weekend though ;) :D

Dynamic Entertainment
19-07-2009, 06:43 PM

Yep...you get a free fire extinguisher and blanket with them!

Tom
19-07-2009, 06:52 PM
NG19 9BG. ;) :sofa:

Now, before I even google that postcode, can I take a wild guess at where that post code will take me.

Hmmmm. Mansfield? lol

Yep...you get a free fire extinguisher and blanket with them!

Really. Oh bummer. I didn't get either with my SRM450 V2's. Does that void my warranty?

Excalibur
19-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Now, before I even google that postcode, can I take a wild guess at where that post code will take me.

Hmmmm. Mansfield? lol
Might be.

Really. Oh bummer. I didn't get either with my SRM450 V2's. Does that void my warranty?

I was behind the band's Mackies last night. I wasn't cold. :D

DJMaxG
30-07-2009, 05:45 AM
It sounds like the RCFs deserve an award then ...

Are you seriously using 10" Cabs alone?

The ART 705 bin for that extra bottom end is a must when funds allow. It is one of the best active subs out there and will sound lovely with the 312A's

My Main Concern with the 705 was the size of the driver. Being RCF, I would have expected an 18" in there, and didn't think much of them.

I thought if I was running 525s or 725s etc, I would use a Mackie 18"

But it seems they're quite good then?

Shaun
10-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Paul, which RCF's did you end up getting? And how are you getting on with them? :)

flatliners
10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
It sounds like the RCFs deserve an award then ...

Are you seriously using 10" Cabs alone?

well i use the 10" 310a but have a 600w powered sub

Spirits High
10-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Paul, which RCF's did you end up getting? And how are you getting on with them? :)

Ended up with a pair of 312 A's

Pleased with them so far. I'm finding that I'm pushing them a bit harder than the W audio psr15's but that's only to be expected ;)

Greatest difference so far apart from the sound is the weight :eek:

One less trip as it's one in each hand and away we go :D also no more back breaking getting them onto the stands.

I will be adding at least one sub but don't see an urgency right now.

Excalibur
10-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Ended up with a pair of 312 A's

Real men use fifteen inches. ;) ( And they don't moan about struggling to get it up. :p :D :D )

Spirits High
10-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Real men use fifteen inches. ;) ( And they don't moan about struggling to get it up. :p :D :D )

We'll put that to the test on saturday after Martin has set up at the Winding Wheel :D :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-08-2009, 09:27 PM

I have 15" :D

Dynamic Entertainment
10-08-2009, 09:34 PM
In that case Daz...I have 12" + 15" :p

Excalibur
10-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I have 15" :D

I rest my case.

However: If my rig always consisted of subs and tops, I'd have 12". ( Which would still be as big as some 15" )