PDA

View Full Version : Where do I stand?

rob1963
28-06-2009, 12:37 AM
I've found myself in a strange situation, having recently had an enquiry about a wedding on Monday 31st August at one of my regular venues.

He confirmed he wanted to go ahead, and before I could send him the terms & conditions with the booking form to complete, he'd sent me a deposit cheque!

I send him the booking form, but it was not returned within the required 2 weeks. About a week ago I sent him a chaser, but again I've heard nothing.

I'm wondering what to do next, and am also not sure where I stand with the deposit cheque, as he hasn't yet signed a booking form agreeing to my terms & conditions. Therefore, if he decided not to go ahead, what would happen about his deposit? Would I have to return it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

:shrug:

DeckstarDeluxe
28-06-2009, 12:55 AM
wait it out Rob. He might be away? You tried calling him?

Shakermaker Promotions
28-06-2009, 02:16 AM
If you can't get in touch with him by phone or email then do it the old fashioned way and send him a letter. At the end of the day, it's a fair few weeks away yet.

OllieJames
28-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Rob, if you get absolutely nothing back from them - i'd give the deposit back, as the booking hasn't been confirmed.

Vectis
28-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Rip the cheque in half & send it back.

I have a similar issue at the moment with a lateish booking for next Saturday; originally they asked me to email the form rather than mail it. Couple of days later I get an email saying their printer's broken, can they just pay the deposit online? I reply telling them they're very welcome to pay online and give them a URL to click through to their payment page and also tell them I'll post them a set of forms which I did, same day 1st class.

Anyway it's now 2 weeks later - no forms, no emails, no payment of any kind. Email chaser ignored, telephone message left but not replied to, in fact the only thing I've heard is a handful of requests being posted on the website by a guest.

So will give them another call & email tonight and if there's no response then I'm freeing up the date and cancelling the requests. :o

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Have you picked up the telephone?

rob1963
28-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the replies so far, and I'll be giving it a little longer before chasing him again.

I'm more interested in your thoughts about the other part of my question though. Where do I stand legally with regards to keeping his deposit if the booking doesn't go ahead when he hasn't signed a booking form agreeing to my terms & conditions.

Anyone?

DeckstarDeluxe
28-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the replies so far, and I'll be giving it a little longer before chasing him again.

I'm more interested in your thoughts about the other part of my question though. Where do I stand legally with regards to keeping his deposit if the booking doesn't go ahead when he hasn't signed a booking form agreeing to my terms & conditions.

Anyone?

With no signing of the contracts you'll have to give it back.

rob1963
28-06-2009, 01:46 PM
With no signing of the contracts you'll have to give it back.

Why?

I have an email from him confirming he wants to book a disco.

Also, how do I know whether or not he read or accepted the terms & conditions on my website before saying he wanted to book me?

:shrug:

DeckstarDeluxe
28-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I remember seeing you post somewhere you wouldnt even take an email as a contract?

rob1963
28-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I remember seeing you post somewhere you wouldnt even take an email as a contract?

I wouldn't, but I'm more interested to know the legal situation, regardless of what I would do concerning accepting emails as contracts.

geoffrey
28-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I don’t think Rob you should be looking at what is legal and what isn’t as morally its not yet yours to assume ownership.

You can always bank it, but in doing so you are then committed to provide a disco service (morally) but under no contract on the potential customers side.

In this case Rob you have to ignore what is legal and what is not as morality takes president.

You know that anyway.:)

rob1963
28-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I don’t think Rob you should be looking at what is legal and what isn’t as morally its not yet yours to assume ownership.

You can always bank it, but in doing so you are then committed to provide a disco service (morally) but under no contract on the potential customers side.

In this case Rob you have to ignore what is legal and what is not as morality takes president.

You know that anyway.:)

To be honest, I don't think it will be a problem.

He was extremely keen to get the deposit to me, so if he'd changed his mind & decided not to go ahead, I think he'd have been in touch by now...if only to request the return of his deposit!

andyw
28-06-2009, 10:43 PM
can you prove he actually sent the email ? with out doubt, so imo and it is only opinion i don't actually know ,i would expect you would have to give the money back

rob1963
04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Just to tie up this thread, I'm pleased to say the booking form finally arrived this morning, so all is well.

:)

Spirits High
04-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Just to tie up this thread, I'm pleased to say the booking form finally arrived this morning, so all is well.

:)

Some clients eh Rob!!

On a kind of similar I've had a set of booking forms out for at least 6 weeks now, no NRBF , no signed contract. Have chased on numerous occasions but to no avail. Even when I spoke to her on the phone she still was going to book but hadn't got round to sending the stuff off :eek:

Going to give it up as a bad job ;)

rob1963
04-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Some clients eh Rob!!

Indeed.

This guy sent me the deposit on the same day he requested the booking...before I'd even sent out the paperwork, yet he took a month to return the booking form!

It's a nice extra one, though, as it's on August bank holiday Monday, and I haven't worked on Mondays since I lost my Monday quiz a year ago.

On a kind of similar I've had a set of booking forms out for at least 6 weeks now, no NRBF , no signed contract. Have chased on numerous occasions but to no avail. Even when I spoke to her on the phone she still was going to book but hadn't got round to sending the stuff off

I think if I was in that situation, I'd contact the customer & say I'd had another enquiry for the same date, and that I needed their booking form & paperwork within 48 hours if they wanted to go ahead, otherwise I would take the other enquiry forward.