PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Soundcard...info/ideas please!

Jonny Boy
03-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Am 3/4 through ripping all my CDs....money set aside for Numark Cue.... ready to purchase ProDub....

BUT

I'm gonna need a stereo/5.1 soundcard in order to PFL to cue-up tracks on the laptop.

So which is best: an "internal" stereo soundcard fitting into a slot in the laptop (I think I have such a slot!) OR an external usb soundcard?

And of these, can anyone suggest a good brand/model?
Does use of Cue make a difference to which soundcard?

(For instance, when singing live, it's just as easy to use Window Media Player, as live sets aren't "mixed"...I need the gaps!)

Excalibur
03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Suggestion 1) which removes the need for soundcards is Cortex/Numark/Denon/Pioneer. Assuming this has already been discounted, we move on to
2) You are best served with a Sound card such as the Maya 44, so you can have independent channels, and full use of PFL mixing etc. It's possible to cheat with a 5.1, but it's a bodge I think.
3) A mixer with USB inputs, I think the Numark C3 ( or anoher Numark anyway) has this facility.

DiscoPromotions
03-07-2009, 05:40 PM
External soundcard provides more flexibility as well delivering much higher quality reproduction then laptop (internal) soundcards. (we use Numark DJ IO)

Numark Cue is the same as virtual DJ in my personal opinion. But both really can't be operated to its full potential without hardware based controllers; to give you freedom of moving from one track to another. (We use Numark Total control and Numark Mixmeister Control)

When singing live you can use Numark Cue to play the tracks. This will remove the requirement for using Windows Media player as it is not designed to be used in DJ environment.

If it is Karaoke Tracks for singing live; Simon uses Virtual DJ as he can cue up the karaoke track within Virtual DJ which removed the requirement of using separate application (in turn using more computer resources).

Welcome to the world of Digital Dj'ing

Jay (JP)

Reminisce disco
03-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Numark cm200 USB mixer is what I use runnimg alongside Cue.

Excalibur
03-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Numark cm200 USB mixer is what I use runnimg alongside Cue.

I'm guessing that the C3USB is its successor.

SC Events
04-07-2009, 06:44 PM
As I have mentioned in the past, I use a Gigaport AG sound card. It does the job perfectly for me.

Sorry off topic, but does anyone know what the difference is between a Maya 44 and a Gigport AG? (Apart from the name :D)

Excalibur
04-07-2009, 07:05 PM
As I have mentioned in the past, I use a Gigaport AG sound card. It does the job perfectly for me.

Sorry off topic, but does anyone know what the difference is between a Maya 44 and a Gigport AG? (Apart from the name :D)

As far as I can see the only difference is the name. Doubtless one of the technocrats will give us the yea or nay.

Jonny Boy
07-07-2009, 11:04 AM
External soundcard provides more flexibility as well delivering much higher quality reproduction then laptop (internal) soundcards. (we use Numark DJ IO)

Numark Cue is the same as virtual DJ in my personal opinion. But both really can't be operated to its full potential without hardware based controllers; to give you freedom of moving from one track to another. (We use Numark Total control and Numark Mixmeister Control)

Thanks for your input bud!
Hardware is the "next step"...will have to stuggle on until then! ;)

When singing live you can use Numark Cue to play the tracks. This will remove the requirement for using Windows Media player as it is not designed to be used in DJ environment.

Granted - Good point. When I do singing-only sets, I only need a mp3 player anyway, so if I'm combining live and DJing, best to stick to the programme DESIGNED for this.

I'll have to set up a shortcut key in Cue to pause playback if I need to chat to the audience between songs etc - set up the spacebar or something (presuming you can do this!)

If it is Karaoke Tracks for singing live; Simon uses Virtual DJ as he can cue up the karaoke track within Virtual DJ which removed the requirement of using separate application (in turn using more computer resources).
Jay (JP)

I could fork out for the ProDub Karaoke up-lift I suppose, (saves me having to learn the words for new songs!) although audio-only would be covered by the normal license, I understand. (I spoke to someone @ PRS about that.)

The only "problem" is that karaoke tracks tend to have 10 seconds of silence at the start/end of each track...20s silence is a long time in show-business. :eek: (Not even I can flannel enought fill to not make this awkward!):bang:

OR (and relying on you experts here) will I be able to set some kind of automix between karaoke tracks so this run in/run-out silence is minimised?

I'm such a Digital Newb! (Sorry if this has gone off-topic!)

Reminisce disco
07-07-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm guessing that the C3USB is its successor.

Yes i'm sure it is

DJMaxG
04-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I would always use USB (Universal Serial Bus) which means it's a pretty standard fitting.

Some Mixers and control hardware (as in MIDI Controllers) will often have a soundcard built in.

I hate to see DJs controlling it with the mouse.