PDA

View Full Version : Scam I think

DiscoPromotions
07-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Over the last few weeks we have been receiving noise from this company saying that we owe them £395 + VAT for advertising in some kind of crime prevention magazine for schools.

First thing I said "there is no chance of that" as myself or Simon have signed anything to promote ourselves in magazine of that nature plus we have process in place to ensure we both know what is going on. It is basically that we both have to agree or it is no.

I started to query them over the agreement in place and asked for a copy of it. As of 12.30 they have failed to provide this to me which they said would be done in 10 minutes. Time now is (14.00)

I asked him for his contact details and got said he will call me back. He could not answer my question to why he is refusing his contact details?

I have no clue what the company name is or where they are based.

I am pretty sure that they will call back again asking for payment..

Anyone else had these types of calls?

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Yep, a few times with exactly the same scenario.

They try and make out you have advertised with them before and even say you made a payment by card etc.

Whenever anyone rings up now trying to sell/market/whatever...I get their name, company name and phone number before I even allow them to say anything.

JDB Entertainment
07-07-2009, 01:05 PM
yes all the time!

DazzyD
07-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Wouldn't happen to be a certain "publishing company" in the North West would it? They say that you've agreed to the advertising over the phone and they have a recording of the call to prove this. Funny how despite several requests from me, my solicitor and Trading Standards they have still failed to provide us with a copy of the recording!

Yes its a scam. Yes it's widely known about and do what I did. Just inform your local Trading Standards. Their local TS has a hefty file about them. Google their name and I'm sure you'll get some pretty negative comments in the search results!

But don't pay up. It it's scam, a whole scam and nothing but a scam!

DiscoPromotions
07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Thought as much and checking my notes the other calls which I am thinking is from the same company for same amount but this time advertising in some kind emergency services magazine.

Dynamic Entertainment
07-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Yep, had the same a few times. usually its Crime Prevention Booklets, safety Booklets, Fire Fighter/Ambulance/Police calenders.

The below was a letter that got them off my case completely:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am in receipt of a sample book entitled ‘Drugs, Thugs and Internet Bugs’ and an invoice from you for the sum of £189 purporting to be in accordance with an agreement made by telephone in November last year entering into sponsorship with you.

I hereby deny all knowledge of any telephone call made by anyone at your company prior to the call I received from you last week.

Will you please forward to me the following:

1) Proof of contract
2) Proof of the advertisement
3) Proof of distribution

I have been in contact with my solicitors and if you are unable to provide proof of any one of these you should cease further demands for payments which may be considered harassment under the Administration of Justice Act, which is a criminal offence.

Further to this, under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulation 2000, you must give consumers (i.e. me) clear information including details of the goods or services offered, delivery arrangements and payment, the supplier’s details and the consumer’s cancellation right before they buy (known as prior information), you must also provide this in writing (which you have not fully), and I have a cooling off period of seven working days (I am writing to you within seven days of the date of your invoice (3-7-2008)).

I have also been in contact with Cumbria Trading Standards who have advised me to keep them appraised of the situation. I have also included, for your return, your publication.

In addition to this , I am a full time employed Road Safety Officer for Cumbria County Council (the disco is a part time venture) delivering education and training to all schools in West Cumbria, and I have been advised by a number of Head Teachers that I should not conduct business with your company.

Please also note that your letter/invoice failed to include my name, or the county in which I reside.

Yours sincerely

Steven Thompson

Granted the Road Safety Officer bit you cant really use, but ther rest you can :D

Incidentally, i got a call from them after sending that letter via Recorded Delivery, along the lines of:

"Mr Thompson, youve sent us a letter but there was nothing in the envelope". My reply, "How do you know its me whos sent it? Stop contacting me as all calls are now being logged" and i hung up. Never heard anything back in 18 months .

DiscoPromotions
07-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I am expecting a call from them again sometime soon. Thanks for the sample letter you.

rob1963
07-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Yep, had the same a few times. usually its Crime Prevention Booklets, safety Booklets, Fire Fighter/Ambulance/Police calenders.

The below was a letter that got them off my case completely:

Dear Sir/Madam

I am in receipt of a sample book entitled ‘Drugs, Thugs and Internet Bugs’ and an invoice from you for the sum of £189 purporting to be in accordance with an agreement made by telephone in November last year entering into sponsorship with you.

I hereby deny all knowledge of any telephone call made by anyone at your company prior to the call I received from you last week.

Will you please forward to me the following:

1) Proof of contract
2) Proof of the advertisement
3) Proof of distribution

I have been in contact with my solicitors and if you are unable to provide proof of any one of these you should cease further demands for payments which may be considered harassment under the Administration of Justice Act, which is a criminal offence.

Further to this, under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulation 2000, you must give consumers (i.e. me) clear information including details of the goods or services offered, delivery arrangements and payment, the supplier’s details and the consumer’s cancellation right before they buy (known as prior information), you must also provide this in writing (which you have not fully), and I have a cooling off period of seven working days (I am writing to you within seven days of the date of your invoice (3-7-2008)).

I have also been in contact with Cumbria Trading Standards who have advised me to keep them appraised of the situation. I have also included, for your return, your publication.

In addition to this , I am a full time employed Road Safety Officer for Cumbria County Council (the disco is a part time venture) delivering education and training to all schools in West Cumbria, and I have been advised by a number of Head Teachers that I should not conduct business with your company.

Please also note that your letter/invoice failed to include my name, or the county in which I reside.

Yours sincerely

Steven Thompson

Granted the Road Safety Officer bit you cant really use, but ther rest you can :D

Incidentally, i got a call from them after sending that letter via Recorded Delivery, along the lines of:

"Mr Thompson, youve sent us a letter but there was nothing in the envelope". My reply, "How do you know its me whos sent it? Stop contacting me as all calls are now being logged" and i hung up. Never heard anything back in 18 months .

Great letter, Steve.

I'm not surprised it did the trick!

:D :D :D

DJ Jules
08-07-2009, 06:11 AM
I had similar calls a while ago, but had an easy way of getting them off my back:

Me: "So when did I agree to that then?"
Them: "December last year"
Me: "Couldn't have - we hadn't even thought of the company name back then"
Them: "Oh, err, must have been February then"
Me: "Nope, still didn't have the name"
Them: "Oh, errr... well..."
Me: "Thank you - goodbye"

;)

Julian

Dynamic Entertainment
08-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Must be doing the rounds, and i spoke too soon. Ive just had the "Police calender" on the phone. Funnily enough, i was in a room with Cumbria Polices Assistant Chief Constable. They soon got off the line :D

Paul The Party Dj
08-07-2009, 08:04 PM
I've had this many times over the last 12 years - both trying to sell it to me and also telling me I had agreed to it. Just ignore it is probably the best policy. If they threaten you ask for a copy of the contract and the publication - that should do it. They are SCUM!
Anyone who brings them to justice is welcome at my table.
Paul the Party DJ.