PDA

View Full Version : ITunes

DJMaxG
14-07-2009, 09:26 PM
ALL My Music Files are on a HDD in WAV (1411kbps) Format.

I Import them into Itunes, and create an MP3 Version.

Problem - The MP3 Version stays in the same album folder as the WAV.
So I have no way of identifying which is which.

This is for syncronisation with the Ipod, so I need all files to preferably be MP3.

Is there an easier way of doing it?

SC Events
14-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Is there an easier way of doing it?

.............Download them in mp3? :D :sofa:

If you set you r folder to display 'Tiles' then they will show you whether they are an .wav or .mp3

DJMaxG
14-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Update- I have found a way round it now.

DeckstarDeluxe
14-07-2009, 10:34 PM
produb?

DJ Jules
14-07-2009, 10:46 PM
In windows, open a folder, select Tools, Folder Options, View Tab, then click OFF the checkbox for "Hide Extensions for Known file Types". Then you'll be able to see which are MP3's and which are WAV's. This is in Win XP btw - dunno how you'd do the same thing either on a Mac or in Vista.

Julian

Excalibur
14-07-2009, 10:49 PM
produb?

Nah mate, famously personal. :D :D :D :D :D :D

DJMaxG
14-07-2009, 10:50 PM
produb?

The Ipod is for Home use, personal listening. :) :p

JDB Entertainment
14-07-2009, 11:04 PM
The Ipod is for Home use, personal listening. :) :p

Remember DJ MaxG is a Home DJ!!!

Just incase this thread is found in the future by Mobile DJ's doing what max is doing requires Produb.

DJMaxG
15-07-2009, 12:17 AM

Just incase this thread is found in the future by Mobile DJ's doing what max is doing requires Produb.

no it doesn't :bang:

DJ Jules
15-07-2009, 07:37 AM

So format shifting of any kind (e.g. from Wav to MP3 or MP3 to MP4) requires Produb? How about normalisation?

Julian

Excalibur
15-07-2009, 08:30 AM
So format shifting of any kind (e.g. from Wav to MP3 or MP3 to MP4) requires Produb? How about normalisation?

Julian

For Public Performance. Private is not covered by this legislation. Nuff said. ;) ;) :( :(

rob1963
15-07-2009, 09:01 AM
For Public Performance. Private is not covered by this legislation. Nuff said. ;) ;) :( :(

Shouldn't that say For Public Performance which you earn money from?

Excalibur
15-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Shouldn't that say For Public Performance which you earn money from?

Money? :confused: Nobody ever gives me money. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Seriously Rob, I'd guess Public is the only criteria. Private party exempt. Chip shop queue required.

Steve the DJ
15-07-2009, 09:21 AM
This is for syncronisation with the Ipod, so I need all files to preferably be MP3.

Why?

The default (and preferred) format for iTunes and iPods is AAC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding).

BeerFunk
15-07-2009, 09:43 AM
In windows, open a folder, select Tools, Folder Options, View Tab, then click OFF the checkbox for "Hide Extensions for Known file Types". Then you'll be able to see which are MP3's and which are WAV's. This is in Win XP btw - dunno how you'd do the same thing either on a Mac or in Vista.

JulianYes, or you could arrange files by type, which would display all the mp3 files first, then the wav files. Arranging by size should produce the same result.

If you wanted to quickly move the MP3s out of the folder into a folder of their own, you could search the folder for '.mp3', then cut and paste them into your new folder.

rob1963
15-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Money? :confused: Nobody ever gives me money. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Seriously Rob, I'd guess Public is the only criteria. Private party exempt. Chip shop queue required.

I'm not sure about that.

The ProDub website states "If you are copying, burning or transferring their work from your vinyl, CD, MP3 or CD+G collection onto a digital format such as an MP3 player, flash drive or laptop for use in your professional or semi-professional working life, you will need to purchase a ProDub Licence"

This suggests that if you are not a DJ, but are hiring the gear for a one-off gig and/or you are not being paid for the function, then you could argue that the music is NOT being used in your professional or semi-professional working life, so a licence is therefore not required.

That's how I read it, anyway.

:shrug:

Excalibur
15-07-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure about that.

The ProDub website states "If you are copying, burning or transferring their work from your vinyl, CD, MP3 or CD+G collection onto a digital format such as an MP3 player, flash drive or laptop for use in your professional or semi-professional working life, you will need to purchase a ProDub Licence"

This suggests that if you are not a DJ, but are hiring the gear for a one-off gig and/or you are not being paid for the function, then you could argue that the music is NOT being used in your professional or semi-professional working life, so a licence is therefore not required.

That's how I read it, anyway.

:shrug:

Greyer than grey, eh? :confused: :confused: I know my brother has turned his radio off in his garage, cos he won't pay for the licence required. :eek: :( :( Public performance, even though nobody gets paid.

Don't expect me to understand, I'm just a numpty.

Dynamic Entertainment
15-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Thats me covered then...Ill act as unprofessional as is humanly possibe! :D :D

DJ Jules
15-07-2009, 09:46 PM

I'm not sure how that answered the question (or maybe I just don't understand!?!) I was talking specifically about public performance, and being a bit of a devil's advocate as well...

Original Q: So format shifting of any kind (e.g. from Wav to MP3 or MP3 to MP4) requires Produb? How about normalisation?

The point of the question was that if I download a track from Play.com in MP3 format, and then re-encode it as a wav (for some reason), is this then a track which needs to be licensed under ProDub? As I understand it, an MP3 download played out for performance, doesn't need ProDub as the format hasn't been changed.

In theory I know the answer to the question about normalisation - because in theory you're changing the actual content of the recording (even though it's just a shift in volume level across the track) it'd either need to be covered by ProDub, or would just be illegal, because in theory you're changing a recorded work - which is as illegal as making a mashup of two commercially recorded tracks (not specifically licensed for the purpose) or removing the break from the middle of a track.

As I said, in theory I know the answer - please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...? ;)

Julian

Excalibur
15-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Julian, unless I too am missing something, my point is that Produb only applies to music for public performance. What you do in private is no concern of theirs. :D And as a general rule, apart from downloading direct to playout device, everything you can possibly do with an mp3 ( And also Minidisc) requires Produb. ;) :(

DJ Jules
16-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Julian, unless I too am missing something, my point is that Produb only applies to music for public performance.

And I was asking the question specifically about MP3's for public performance - though I appreciate Max originally wasn't.

And as a general rule, apart from downloading direct to playout device, everything you can possibly do with an mp3 ( And also Minidisc) requires Produb. ;) :(

That answers my question - thanks :)

Julian

Solitaire Events Ltd
16-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm not sure why you would want to encode an Mp3 to a wav? Mp3 is compressed and you can't add what ha been taken out, back in again!

DJ Jules
16-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure why you would want to encode an Mp3 to a wav? Mp3 is compressed and you can't add what has been taken out, back in again!

I wouldn't, it was just an example - seeing as the logical change (buying a Wav and converting it to MP3 or MP4 is unlikely to ever happen as you can't typically download Wav's). I probably should have used converting MP4 or AAC to MP3 as an example (e.g. iTunes download to Cortex playable).

Thanks for pointing out the stupidity of my hypothetical scenario :)

Julian