PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts Please!

Vectis
20-07-2009, 07:24 AM
It has been suggested elsewhere that using the For Sale/Wanted section simply to advertise existing sales/auctions on other sites (most notably eBay) is somewhat off-putting and not in the spirit of the forum.

So, consider the scenario that you see a 'For Sale' for something you are vaguely interested in. You click the thread title to see nothing but a link to an eBay auction.

Now I was going to add a poll but for some reason can't, so let's DISCUSS instead ;)

For me, unless the item in question is something I am VERY interested in, I'll not even bother clicking the link, curse and move on.

rob1963
20-07-2009, 07:34 AM
It has been suggested elsewhere that using the For Sale/Wanted section simply to advertise existing sales/auctions on other sites (most notably eBay) is somewhat off-putting and not in the spirit of the forum.

I agree.

For me, unless the item in question is something I am VERY interested in, I'll not even bother clicking the link, curse and move on.

Same here.

I think there should be a new rule that in the for sale section you're not allowed to put up links to other places, such as ebay, where you are also selling the item.

deltic
20-07-2009, 07:46 AM
why not if people put something up for sale on the forum, if not sold after a month then add links. better than posting bump to get more interest.

Excalibur
20-07-2009, 08:06 AM
In my opinion the correct course of action should be to post items on here, as a sort of preview, and if they don't sell or attract interest, then put 'em on ebay, and then by all means link and bump 'em after we've had our chance.

Mark Wild
20-07-2009, 09:37 AM
In my opinion the correct course of action should be to post items on here, as a sort of preview, and if they don't sell or attract interest, then put 'em on ebay, and then by all means link and bump 'em after we've had our chance.

Couldn't have put it better myself, infact no, I definatley couldn't have. :D

Jiggles
20-07-2009, 09:47 AM
We did have DJ Bids but no one used it!

discomobiledj
20-07-2009, 10:00 AM

:agree:

Vectis
20-07-2009, 10:13 AM
We did have DJ Bids but no one used it!

It was a bit sledgehammer & nut though...

Although I guess the original idea was sound, just a shame the take-up wasn't there.

Steve the DJ
20-07-2009, 10:29 AM
I think people should be able to advertise items for sale in whatever they deem is the best way to achieve an acceptable price.

If that means sticking it on eBay from the off and then posting it on the forums to drum up some interest then so be it.

If you want to insist on adopting this sort of approach then I would suggest you split the "For Sale" section into one section for ads that are available directly and one for links to items for sale on eBay, that way it is very easy to decide what to look at.

tc1ooo
20-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Or just put "For Sale" or "Ebay" in the title, then people have the option of looking or not. People only want to get the best price for their gear. It would be crazy to put something on ebay and not tell people on here about it.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I think people should be able to advertise items for sale in whatever they deem is the best way to achieve an acceptable price.

If that means sticking it on eBay from the off and then posting it on the forums to drum up some interest then so be it.

If you want to insist on adopting this sort of approach then I would suggest you split the "For Sale" section into one section for ads that are available directly and one for links to items for sale on eBay, that way it is very easy to decide what to look at.

Sounds like a decent enough idea, so does giving this place a chance first before putting it on ebay.

Or just put "For Sale" or "Ebay" in the title, then people have the option of looking or not. People only want to get the best price for their gear. It would be crazy to put something on ebay and not tell people on here about it.

Its also crazy putting things on ebay with a "Buy it now" price and linking here, which has been done quite a bit before. What differences does it make if you sell it for £100 on ebay, or £100 here.........The cash in your is a bit more if sold on here because of ebays fee....and their initial listing price :)

deltic
20-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Its also crazy putting things on ebay with a "Buy it now" price and linking here, which has been done quite a bit before. What differences does it make if you sell it for £100 on ebay, or £100 here.........The cash in your is a bit more if sold on here because of ebays fee....and their initial listing price :)[/QUOTE]

maybe e-bay have a bigger audience,i have seen loads of stuff for sale on here with no offers and then sell on e-bay.

at least with buy it now you can make your own mind up if it is a good price and buy right away,where if you are bidding for something it is possible you are bidding against perhaps the sellers mate which bumps the price up wrongly,then when you think you have won suddenly you get sniped.

Dynamic Entertainment
20-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Just seen as your in Cumbria then Andy ill use you in my example (if thats OK :))

Your looking to sell your Bose for £1000 (:D ) - Thats the figure you have in mind and thats what you would put as a Buy It Now figure.

You decide to give it a crack here first and i snap your arm off for it. I can come and collect, pay you cash and its a done deal.

Second option, You post it up on ebay, with a link here. I go on and buy it now, i still collect and pay cash BUT you then have to pay an extortionate fee to ebay! See where you can save money.

Granted, if your just wanting sometghing to try and sell for as much as possible then great, use ebay. Buy if you have a price in mind, try here first, then if you have no look, go on to ebays bigger audience.

Shaun
21-07-2009, 01:47 AM
http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=359107#post359107