PDA

View Full Version : DMX Controller Sound2Light

thex-faders
28-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi all,
Recently got a starville dmx master and after an afternoon of playing with dip switches, watchin youtube videos and reading manuals i finally linked my 2 dynarocks, 2 colourbursts and laser to through DMX!!

Am rather proud of myself but have a quick question.
Have programmed scenes, 5 chases and have just run them on 'music' controlelr via the controllers on board mic.
It has a seperate phono input as well..
My question is for people who use dmx controllers, do you just leave the internal mic to run the show or have a dedicated input from your booth out or something along those linees to give it a sound supply?

Hope this makes sense, will post some pics of new DMX'd rig in few weeks
Cheers all

WWDJ
28-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I have a Trancension JC-1 Baby. Music activation sends it a bit screwy in my opinion with it running far to fast for my tastes.

I tend to tap the beat into the speed. Tap-2-3-4-Tap etc, which normally gives me something nice. Failing that set the speed in seconds
0.5 seconds = 120bpm, so 1 second will be 2 beats, 2 secs = 4 beats etc.

thex-faders
28-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Ye th is what i was finidng if the volume is too loud the internal mic send the lights going mental as i also like the effects to be a bit slower.

So what ill do is set the fade & speed timings to try and match with the beat of music like you suggested.

I thought that if i sent my booth output to the phono sound input on the mixer i could controll the volume being sent to the mixer and hopefully it wouldnt go crazy all the time?
Cheers for quick reply

Tony Scott
28-07-2009, 03:29 PM
line input is better IMO, I use freestyler software on a laptop and use the line in option. if your mixer has a seperate sub output use this as you will then pick up just the bass thump which tends to be less hectic than a full range signal :)