PDA

View Full Version : which driver????

amplified
28-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Well here i am again and this time i've finally come to a decision :D i'm forgetting buying some new speakers and upgrading the drivers in my current speakers. so i was hoping someone could help me in the choice of driver i choose. Im considering these at the moment:

Celestion Truvox 12

or

Eminence Kappa 12

i will be using these in as my mid/bass driver in my 2 way speakers. I also run a pair of 350w bass bins so looking for one that will complement them. if Any one has any other drivers they wish to recommend then please do.

cheers

DJ Jules
28-07-2009, 05:39 PM
i will be using these in as my mid/bass driver in my 2 way speakers. I also run a pair of 350w bass bins so looking for one that will complement them. if Any one has any other drivers they wish to recommend then please do.

What Cabs are they going into?

Julian

Sapphire Disco
28-07-2009, 06:43 PM
What about these ?

http://www.rcfprecision.co.uk/Transducers/L12854K/L12854K_data.html

CRAZY K
28-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Well here i am again and this time i've finally come to a decision :D i'm forgetting buying some new speakers and upgrading the drivers in my current speakers. so i was hoping someone could help me in the choice of driver i choose. Im considering these at the moment:

Celestion Truvox 12

or

Eminence Kappa 12

cheers

If your upgrading quality fine---if its power then be careful---the old cabs might not take to being hit with more power and start rattling:eek:

I have used Eminence and Celestion--- both are reasonable quality.

CRAZY K

DJ Jules
28-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I have used Eminence and Celestion--- both are reasonable quality.

I've done this with Eminence drivers (Gamma from memory), but I made the mistake of leaving the original Compression horns in the cabs, leaving me with mis-matched horns and subs, and a very harsh sound.

Julian

Tony Scott
28-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Do you know what HF horns you have and what they are crossed over at...most HF horns in 12", 2way cabs are crossed at 4khz so it's important to choose a bass/mid driver that goes up this high.

Another thing you need to consider is the cabinet tuning, the cabinets will have been designed for the drivers you have to optimise the bass response. New drivers should be either matched to your old ones or the cabinet's porting should be re-calculated with the new driver's spcecs(T&S parameters)

I've had a look at the spec on all three drivers. The bass response is roughly the same on all 3 and is typical for a 12" Bass/Mid driver, the mid/hi response is what sets these drivers apart.

*The 'Truvox 12' has a dip just under 3kHz which is an important part of the human voice register, this makes the truvox not so good in the upper vocal range. It does go on to a reasonable 4khz but the dip puts me off this driver. It has an SPL of 97db which is ok.

*The 'Kappa12' has a peak at around 2.2khz which may make it a bit harsh, this could be dealt with by EQing, this driver also goes on to a usable 4khz so will crossover well. It has an SPL of 99.3db which is very good, this high SPL is probably because of the Peak at 2.2khz?

*The 'L12-854K' looks like a nice driver but my only concern is that it is only good to about 3khz which may be too low to crossover to your HF horns? It has an SPL of 98db which is good.

Without knowing what your horns cross over at I would choose the 'Kappa12' and eq out the peak at 2.2khz.

If you have HF horns that are happy to cross over at or below 3khz then go for the 'L12-854K'........looks like a nice driver!

I would forget the 'Truvox'.

Hope that helps.....? :)

amplified
28-07-2009, 09:12 PM
cheers tony thats something i've overlooked.

Unfortunatly all i know is that the hf driver is a 1.35" Ti-membrane driver and the overall frequency responce is 45HZ-20KHZ. the reason i'm stuck for the info is that the hf driver or the mid have no info on them what so ever so i'm guessing there chinese crap and therefore thats the reason i'm upgrading.

there going into plastic cabs and i'm planning just to buy one at first and see how it sounds and then purchase the other one.