PDA

View Full Version : No sound,,,,,,help

kings
02-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi i have a slight problem,,,,,,,,,,i have 4 OHM RW3 speakers hooked up to a carlsbro 1200 amp also feeding off a prosound 1000 amp (not my set up!)
funny burning smell started last night, 5 mins later we got no sound seeing as though am not a dj and have no clue what am doing could anyone help me in finding out what is broken please??????????????

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11711

A1DL
02-08-2009, 09:06 PM
i have 4 OHM RW3 speakers hooked up to a carlsbro 1200 amp also feeding off a prosound 1000 amp

Hi Kate,

what do you mean by "also feeding off"?
are you saying you have connected the same speakers to more than one amplifier simultaneously? (that's a complete no no!)

funny burning smell started last night

where was the smell coming from - amplifiers, speakers, barman having a fag, etc?

Tony

spin mobile disco
03-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Most likely causes I can think of without more info are.

1. Giving the amp to low an impedance by using 2x 4 ohm speakers into a bridged connection.

2. Connecting 2 amps together is a no no unless you are using correct connection and they are sharing a signal not an amplified signal lead.

3. Speakers are very badly matched to the amp and the output stage of the amplifier have cooked themselves and blown.

4. Amplifier already had a fault.

5. Input stage of one of the amps was fried due to being provided with an overpowered signal caused by feeding the output of one amp into the input of another amp.

6. possible the cables have a short although this is less likely as most amps have protection against this.

DazzyD
03-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Giving the fact that there was a burning smell, I'd say options 3 or 5 above.

My first thought was, with all that power from two amps possibly into each speaker (because we don't know this is true yet), the speakers drivers have been fried. Lucky they didn't catch fire with all that power going through them.