PDA

View Full Version : Work in progress....

Mark Wild
08-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Well trying my best not to spend a small fortune on asking a pro to design a second website idea, I'm having a bash myself using serif webplus. I wanted to show you what I'd managed so far, It's way off finished but I thought I'd get the positive and negative feedback from you guy's before I put some serious hours into this. Any pointers or direction of any kind is welcome :)

http://www.weddingdjglasgow.co.uk/

Jiggles
08-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I see pixels! Get better res photos. It brings down the quality of the site. Other than that its something. :D

ppentertainments
08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
I would loose that gangster you have (DJ I think he is called) :D :D :D

Just joking. A lot of DJ's put a picture of themselves on sight but I am always worried it puts people off seeing a balding overweight middle age man. :confused:

Mark Wild
08-08-2009, 03:16 PM
I see pixels! Get better res photos. It brings down the quality of the site. Other than that its something. :D

I dropped the res for page loading times, maybe I dropped it a lil to far huh, cheers mate :)

I would loose that gangster you have (DJ I think he is called) :D :D :D

Just joking. A lot of DJ's put a picture of themselves on sight but I am always worried it puts people off seeing a balding overweight middle age man. :confused:

Yeah dodgy ground really, but I feel people like to visualise the guy that's going to entertain the crowd on thier special day, I might be wrong, just my humble opinion. :D

Jiggles
08-08-2009, 04:05 PM
I dropped the res for page loading times, maybe I dropped it a lil to far huh, cheers mate :)

You drop the quality of the JPG not the res. To something like 70-80%

Vectis
08-08-2009, 04:56 PM
You drop the quality of the JPG not the res. To something like 70-80%

You can usually get away with 30-50% if the original is 150dpi or more.

And if you switch on Progressive (OK so there's a small overhead) it loads in 'waves' which I personally think looks rather cool on a lowish speed connection.

Jiggles
08-08-2009, 05:09 PM
I find that anything lower than 60% is terrible! Each to there own i suppose. :D

Mark Wild
10-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Anyone got FAQ's (with answers preferably) I could pinch? Please :)

Mark Wild
07-09-2009, 11:41 AM
O.k I'll take a hint no-one wants to share thier FAQ's lol. I've changed the pics and just wanted opinions on the site, I know it needs more content and i'm writing that slowly but surely. But does it look amatuer? If so any recommendations?

http://www.weddingdjglasgow.co.uk/

SC Events
07-09-2009, 11:48 AM
You can have a look at/use mine if you want, Mark?

Marc J
07-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Mark,

it's too green for my linking - and I don't have anything against the colour green...it just looks a bit "washed out".

There's too much text as graphics, which is not good from an SEO point of view.

I was expecting a lot of the images (esp the 4 on the home page) to be links, maybe this is because its a work in progress, though.

Apart from the grpahic on the main page, there doesn't appear to be a title anywhere, i.e. you wouldn't know (apart from the URL) that you're looking at the "Wedding DJ Glasgow" site.

Some of the images seem to be resized incorrectly (stretched), but I may be wrong.

Mark Wild
07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Nice one Marc, helpful as ever mate. I'm a tad confused about the "text as graphics" tbh as I'm just typing it in. I'll get rectifying and working on the points you've brought to my attention. Top man. (the "it's too green" comment is a bit dodgy lol)

Marc J
07-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm a tad confused about the "text as graphics" tbh as I'm just typing it in.
Take this (from the home page) for example:-

http://www.weddingdjglasgow.co.uk/wpimages/wpcb60e9c9.png

It's an image, of some text. It'd be better just as text - the page will load quicker and search engines could read it. The only readable text on the "Your DJ" page is the copyright etc. in the footer.