PDA

View Full Version : Another Speaker/Amp Thread!

SPJ
11-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Had a look arouind to find the answer to this specific one before posting.

My current speakers are KAMZ1504 (250Wrms each) These are currently running from a Numark Dimension 4 amp.

I have just acquired 2 x Skytec bass bins (150Wrms each) According to the Amp spec, it has a built in crossover and I'm led to believe this can drive the subs directly as well as the tops (rather than having to link the speakers -bass to tops).

Can anyone help in advising how best to configure everything? Looking at the rear connectors/sockets, etc, I'm not at all sure how this is supposed to work and the manual doesn't give too much away.

The amp runs at 412Wchannel 8 ohms and 600W/channel 4 ohms
Both speakers sets are rated at 8.

is there any danger of damaging any of the cabs with this amp power (subs in particular)?

Cheers
Steve

TonyB
11-08-2009, 11:57 AM
I have a Numark Dimension Amp and also some of those Skytec bass bins in the shed.

The amp cannot drive both at the same time using the crossover. If you use the built in crossover, it will only drive the bass bins then you use the through connection to another amp for the tops.

The bass bins don't have a crossover, just a low pass filter. It just filters the low frequency for the bass bins and sends a full range signal to the tops.

The only option you have using one amp is to run the speaker cable from amp to bass bins then from bass bins to tops.

The amp will run at 4 Ohms giving out 660w. Ideally you need bass bins that can handle more power than the tops. Unless you are very restrained with the amount of power you use, I would say there is a possibility of overdriving the bass bins.

DJ Jules
11-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I have a Numark Dimension Amp and also some of those Skytec bass bins in the shed.

The amp cannot drive both at the same time using the crossover. If you use the built in crossover, it will only drive the bass bins then you use the through connection to another amp for the tops.

The bass bins don't have a crossover, just a low pass filter. It just filters the low frequency for the bass bins and sends a full range signal to the tops.

The only option you have using one amp is to run the speaker cable from amp to bass bins then from bass bins to tops.

The amp will run at 4 Ohms giving out 660w. Ideally you need bass bins that can handle more power than the tops. Unless you are very restrained with the amount of power you use, I would say there is a possibility of overdriving the bass bins.

If you drive the speakers full range (unfiltered) in parallel with the tops you also run the risk of damaging the amp (as at lower frequencies it will be driving both tops and bins, which will reduce the resistance to about 2.6ohms from memory). You'll need at least a passive crossover to drive tops and bins from the same amp.

Julian

Excalibur
11-08-2009, 06:01 PM
If you drive the speakers full range (unfiltered) in parallel with the tops you also run the risk of damaging the amp (as at lower frequencies it will be driving both tops and bins, which will reduce the resistance to about 2.6ohms from memory). You'll need at least a passive crossover to drive tops and bins from the same amp.

Julian

Excuse me mate, but the word "Cobblers" springs to mind after reading your post. The cabs are 8ohms, so in parallel a 4ohm load, no probs. Tony also said there's a filter, not a crossover in the cabs, so nobody in their right mind would fit crossovers to Skytecs for this purpose.( Would they? )

Least worst solution ( and even that's plain silly) is active crossover and second amp. Sadly this would have tops more powerful than subs, so like I said it's silly.

A more sensible idea ( and not entirely unexpected perhaps ) would be to Ebay the Skytecs, and buy a pair of Class D's. This would allow one amp no probs, bigger capacity in the subs, not the tops, and add crossover and second amp when funds allow.

SPJ
12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the replies, though I'm possibly a bit more confused than I was before :confused:

Spending more cash at the mo is a no-no and to be honest as and when I do/can, I want to be sure I am buying the best config I can afford. I think I need to understand a bit more about it all before shelling out any more.

I have a (shortish) relatively small gig this weekend which I was hoping to try the bass cabs out in prep for a longer/larger gig the following week which they'd probably be more useful for.

In fact I do have another amp (Gemini X03 - 200wrms @ 8) which I take out as a spare. From what I've read, I could connect the two amps and run one set of speakers from each without the need for a crossover using the D4 thruput, right?
Now, question is, do the bass cabs have to run first in line or does it not matter? Would it be workable (and wise) to run the D4 with the tops, then use the D4 thruput to the X03 and run the bass cabs from that? The D4 is more powerful than the X03, so that amp/speaker config would seem to be best match on the face of it?

Is it absolutely necessary to have bass handling higher than the tops? Also, is there likely to be a noticeable sound mismatch by using lower powered subs?, or is it just 'not ideal' for sound quality?
This whole speaker/amp config thing drives me nuts :bang:

Excalibur: Which Class Ds would you recommend in the meantime?

Thanks for your patience.I value your advice

Cheers
Steve

DJ Jules
12-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Excuse me mate, but the word "Cobblers" springs to mind after reading your post. The cabs are 8ohms, so in parallel a 4ohm load, no probs. Tony also said there's a filter, not a crossover in the cabs, so nobody in their right mind would fit crossovers to Skytecs for this purpose.( Would they? )

Sorry - I skimmed the original post and mis-read it. For some reason I thought the bins were 4ohms and the tops 8ohms. So yup, you're right in parallel they'll be a 4ohm load.

Julian

Excalibur
13-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the replies, though I'm possibly a bit more confused than I was before :confused:

Spending more cash at the mo is a no-no and to be honest as and when I do/can, I want to be sure I am buying the best config I can afford. I think I need to understand a bit more about it all before shelling out any more.

I have a (shortish) relatively small gig this weekend which I was hoping to try the bass cabs out in prep for a longer/larger gig the following week which they'd probably be more useful for.

In fact I do have another amp (Gemini X03 - 200wrms @ 8) which I take out as a spare. From what I've read, I could connect the two amps and run one set of speakers from each without the need for a crossover using the D4 thruput, right?
Now, question is, do the bass cabs have to run first in line or does it not matter? Would it be workable (and wise) to run the D4 with the tops, then use the D4 thruput to the X03 and run the bass cabs from that? The D4 is more powerful than the X03, so that amp/speaker config would seem to be best match on the face of it?

Is it absolutely necessary to have bass handling higher than the tops? Also, is there likely to be a noticeable sound mismatch by using lower powered subs?, or is it just 'not ideal' for sound quality?
This whole speaker/amp config thing drives me nuts :bang:

Excalibur: Which Class Ds would you recommend in the meantime?

Thanks for your patience.I value your advice

Cheers
Steve

Not nearly as confused as some of us reading this. :D
Right, let's hope your mixer has a booth/zone/ whatever second output. Don't link the amps to each other, since as you're trying to amplify different frequency bands, you need to be able to vary their volumes ( which is why we keep suggesting crossovers. There was a pair going on here recently. One of the pair was spoken for I think, so one left. ) Run the Dim4 with the tops from one output, and the Gemini with subs from the other. Turn the amp gains up, and use the mixer outputs to balance the levels between subs and tops.

Perceived wisdom is to have double the power in subs as tops. Since you can't do that, you'll have top limit the tops output. I reckon you may lose volume, but see how it goes.

Re Class D subs, it doesn't matter which ones, CD15, or CD15N. Same spec, just different size cabs basically. If space is limited in your motor, get the small ones, otherwise get the big ones.

TonyB
14-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I agree with Excalibur and it would be the safest way to it although I would still use the through outputs on the D4 to connect the second amp and use the gain controls on the amp to balance the volume (we all do things differently and it would just be my personal preference of how to do it!). An active crossover would definitely be preferable.